Dive sites//charters solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am curious as to any Texas dive sites or dive charters were if a diver wishes to dive 'solo' they are not permitted by the owner to do so unless they posses a valid recreational SDI Solo Diver specialty c-card...???

MV Spree, Flower Gardens charter boat
Mammoth Lake scuba park, Clute Tx.
?

I am curious as to any Texas dive sites or dive charters were if a diver wishes to dive 'solo' they are not permitted by the owner to do so unless they posses a valid recreational SDI Solo Diver specialty c-card...???

?

Windy Point Lake Travis Texas - NO PRoblem :no

OK...since we are not really finding to many....I count 2 so far.....what about say----within a day or so outside of Texas?

Imagine, Mike (Mammoth Lake) and I have the same insurance company. Hmmmm.

Imagine, Mike (Mammoth Lake) and I have the same insurance company. Hmmmm.

Must be!....both of you need to find other companies and drop the requirement of divers needing proof of an SDI Solo c-card to dive solo.....I see no reason for the requirement. Not knocking the solo training for new divers or those just wanting to get into solo diving and wishing to shorten the learning curve. But many of us are experienced solo divers with skills/training far exceeding any that would be taught in a recreational level solo course. As best as I can tell only these 2 location sited above are requiring such c-card in Texas.....and just a hand full of others I have been told about nationwide.

?

Blue Lagoon and solodiving anyone know their policy?
And what about the diver who wants to dive a drysuit and does not have a SDI, Padi drysuit Diver specialty c-card...??? I thought the liability waiver we all signed stating that scuba divng has certain inherent risks stopped all this nonsense.

And you have probably been solo diving longer than SDI has issued a solo card. Dive shops have also been performing cave fills for a long time, too. That doesn't make it legal or right. I'll bring up the same tired old argument:

Attorney for your wife/mother/kids: Well, Captain Wasson, was the deceased certified to dive solo/deep/on Trimix/with a drysuit?

Captain Frank: Duuh. I dunno.

Attorney: Did you let the diver in the water knowing that he/she would dive solo/deep/on trimix/wearing a drysuit?

Ex-captain Frank: Well Yeah! They told me on an internet chat board that they had much more experience and training than any old diving instructor could teach them, and that they should be allowed to dive solo/deep/on trimix/with a drysuit. They signed a waiver!

I'm sorry, guys, but I am an insurance driven beast, especially since I try to keep my rates down and keep your costs down, as explained on another thread. Finding a more liberal insurance company is not, I believe, the right answer. The right answer is to change the attitude of americans (such as those posting on another thread in the accidents forum) that think that dive operators need to keep their passengers safe. I can't keep you safe, only you can dive safely, warn your next of kin that diving is inherently dangerous, and convince them to leave the boat operator alone when you croak. Then we need to reform our system of torts so that an ambulance chaser can't slime up to the next of kin and convince them that SOMEONE owes them money because their diver husband/father/daughter didn't check their SPG often enough and ran out of air at depth.

Some dive operators (and I will PM you a list of names if you want) allow their divers to dive any way they want to and just don't carry insurance, or carry a minimal amount. After all, when an operator gets sued, it is usually for the limit of liability insurance, not for any reasonable amount. I do know this for a fact, and have 2 personally viewed cases to back up the assertion. These other operators carry the minimum required by their bank, keep mortgages on the boat, keep their personal assets in trust, so have nothing worth going after in a civil court. If someone croaks on the boat or while diving, oh well, bring 'em home, load up the next bunch, it it some more. There is nothing for anyone to go after.

In closing, I don't feel that there are enough people out there that want a free-for-all dive experience to justify changing my philosophy or way of doing business, when the majority of my customers dive with me because they "feel safe" on the Spree. That is the number 1 piece of feedback I receive from my customers. We have genuinely tried to add trips that allow the independant diver more freedoms, allow full use of dive computers, allow solo diving within restrictions, allow rebreathers and tech profiles, etc. I still cater, though, to the majority of divers, that is, open water or advanced, wanting nitrox, diving with a buddy, hugging the fish (figuratively).

Now, instead of bashing my insurance company, pop the $150 for the stupid solo card, buy a pony, and get on the boat. Then you can dive mamoth lake on Friday afternoon before the boat sails.

Frank

pop the $150 for the stupid solo card, buy a pony, and get on the boat. Then you can dive mamoth lake on Friday afternoon before the boat sails.

Frank

Well spoken. Your strong opinion shows how much you care about your operation.
When participating on a dive TEAM I never got to do it my way. It was always what the diving supervisor directed and planned. Interesting.

Shawn O'Shea

Now, instead of bashing my insurance company, pop the $150 for the stupid solo card, buy a pony, and get on the boat. Then you can dive mamoth lake on Friday afternoon before the boat sails.

Frank

OK, you've convinced me. I'll be another one getting my solo card very soon. Not to steal this thread, but let's face it: I feel that often when I'm diving with newer divers I've been matched up with, I am diving solo with regards to conducting a rescue in an emergency.

At least with the card I won't be putting the operator at financial risk. It's least I can do. And I intend to be back out on the FG trips this summer.

Finding a more liberal insurance company is not, I believe, the right answer.
Frank

So true.... It's all the Liberals and they're Dive Boat Chasing Liberal Lawyers that cause us all the problems in the first place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom