Dive sites//charters solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont suppose that Trimix and Full Cave cards would be accepted in lieu of the SDI solo card? Guess that course must contain a lot of extra info and skills that I am not familiar with?

What if a diver wants to do a solo Technical Dive ? Is an appropriate tech cert and the recreational solo card enough or do they need a (non existant) solo tech card?

I dont suppose that Trimix and Full Cave cards would be accepted in lieu of the SDI solo card? Guess that course must contain a lot of extra info and skills that I am not familiar with?

What if a diver wants to do a solo Technical Dive ? Is an appropriate tech cert and the recreational solo card enough or do they need a (non existant) solo tech card?

When I teach a solo class, I give a LOT of credit for other certifications/experience that are already present in the students resume. Can you read between the lines on this one? In fact, if you're not recreational DM/Divecon or technical certified, I won't even teach the class on the boat, because I won't have time to get through it in a weekend.

I have discussed solo technical diving at length with the folks at TDI and TDI's insurance company. :popcorn: TDI (I think it's Scott) tells me that TDI has no provision to allow solo technical diving, and, in fact, technical diving is a team concept involving a team rather than buddy pairs per se. If a dive team comes on the boat for a technical charter and convinces me that they are team diving as safe or safer than a buddy situation, then I am OK with that. One problem with the team concept is that if each team members role is not carefully spelled out, the team is a group of solo divers, not a coordinated team. Remember, your mission is to convince the boat operator. As soon as the certification agencies change their mind about solo tech diving, so will I.

I cannot please all divers. Some will undoubtably find me too restrictive. Lake Travis is a good place to hang out at 160 feet and not have anybody hassle you or bother you with their breathing. Likewise, a private boat owned by like-minded friends is also a good option. As I said before, I must cater to the masses, they make my boat payment every month.

Frank

If a diver has a solo card, is there a reasonable assurance that he/she will be allowed to actually solo dive once the trip money is paid and the boat has launched?

If a diver has a solo card, is there a reasonable assurance that he/she will be allowed to actually solo dive once the trip money is paid and the boat has launched?

If you're on the Spree, and are properly equipped (redundant air source, surface signaling audio and visual devices), and have a solo card, there is a 100% chance that you will be allowed to dive solo (with 23 of your closest friends).

And you have probably been solo diving longer than SDI has issued a solo card. Dive shops have also been performing cave fills for a long time, too. That doesn't make it legal or right. I'll bring up the same tired old argument:

Attorney for your wife/mother/kids: Well, Captain Wasson, was the deceased certified to dive solo/deep/on Trimix/with a drysuit?

Captain Frank: Duuh. I dunno.

Attorney: Did you let the diver in the water knowing that he/she would dive solo/deep/on trimix/wearing a drysuit?

Ex-captain Frank: Well Yeah! They told me on an internet chat board that they had much more experience and training than any old diving instructor could teach them, and that they should be allowed to dive solo/deep/on trimix/with a drysuit. They signed a waiver!

I'm sorry, guys, but I am an insurance driven beast, especially since I try to keep my rates down and keep your costs down, as explained on another thread. Finding a more liberal insurance company is not, I believe, the right answer. The right answer is to change the attitude of americans (such as those posting on another thread in the accidents forum) that think that dive operators need to keep their passengers safe. I can't keep you safe, only you can dive safely, warn your next of kin that diving is inherently dangerous, and convince them to leave the boat operator alone when you croak. Then we need to reform our system of torts so that an ambulance chaser can't slime up to the next of kin and convince them that SOMEONE owes them money because their diver husband/father/daughter didn't check their SPG often enough and ran out of air at depth.

In closing, I don't feel that there are enough people out there that want a free-for-all dive experience to justify changing my philosophy or way of doing business, when the majority of my customers dive with me because they "feel safe" on the Spree. That is the number 1 piece of feedback I receive from my customers. We have genuinely tried to add trips that allow the independant diver more freedoms, allow full use of dive computers, allow solo diving within restrictions, allow rebreathers and tech profiles, etc. I still cater, though, to the majority of divers, that is, open water or advanced, wanting nitrox, diving with a buddy, hugging the fish (figuratively).

Now, instead of bashing my insurance company, pop the $150 for the stupid solo card, buy a pony, and get on the boat. Then you can dive mamoth lake on Friday afternoon before the boat sails.

Frank
So with all that being said: If a diver wants to dive a drysuit on the Spree does he/she have to show a drysuit cert. card in order to do so?

I have discussed solo technical diving at length with the folks at TDI and TDI's insurance company. :popcorn: TDI (I think it's Scott) tells me that TDI has no provision to allow solo technical diving,

I cannot please all divers. Some will undoubtably find me too restrictive. Lake Travis is a good place to hang out at 160 feet and not have anybody hassle you or bother you with their breathing. Likewise, a private boat owned by like-minded friends is also a good option. As I said before, I must cater to the masses, they make my boat payment every month.

Frank

Hi Frank

Thanks for the replies.

Personally I like the NACD's approach to solo diving :
"The NACD does not condone or disapprove of solo diving and believes that individuals have the right to make decisions to dive within their limitations in the manner they choose so long as other divers and the environment is not damaged"

For what its worth I would not choose to dive solo at the FG. I like having a buddy to blame if I miss the boat :wink:

I totally understand why you need the "restrictions" but the net result is that many experienced divers will just say screw it and drive to Cave Country instead. They miss out on the Ocean Dives and the operators miss out on their cash. (Although as all Dive Operators are multi- billionaires they can probably live without it :D )

As an aside I was on an excellent tech trip on the Sea Searcher a few years ago that went to Geyer and Stetson banks. All the tech divers had doubles and at least one,sometimes 2 deco tanks. We were amused to be told we had to be back on the boat with 500 psi!
In which tank ? Maybe an aggregate of all 4 tanks? Or an average ??
It was pretty funny but also illustrated the gulf between the "rec" and "tech" ways of planning.

I have been on a few dives where I appeared that I was a solo diver, my buddy was nowhere to be found). I have the required equipment and I have the textbook for the Solo dive class and after just a few more dives I will be taking the class. I know that the boats and owners are just protecting their investments and cannot be upset with anyone who does that. You know that just one incident can destroy an entire company.

I think you all are missing the point. LAWYERS want to see a C-CARD for the FAMILIES who will sue the BOAT OPERATION or DIVE SHOP. You will be dead. I think we all get that everyone thinks they have the skills to do whatever kind of diving you want. NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR SKILL LEVEL AFTER YOU ARE DEAD, BUT THEY DO CARE WHAT KIND OF CARD YOU HAVE. The Boat operator or dive shop is the one left holding the bag and a thumb up there ass saying " but they knew what they were doing" Lawyer says PROVE IT. Judge says "you don't have any proof?" Oh well bye bye life savings, bye bye your life's work, bye bye to your way of life because now you have lost your license, your instructor permit. But hey, that's not y'all's problem.....
Have some respect people don't write off LDS's, Dive ops, training parks, etc. because your tight asses won't shell out a few bucks for a stupid ass card.

don't write off LDS's, Dive ops, training parks, etc. because your tight asses won't shell out a few bucks for a stupid ass card.

Well this tight ass prefers to drive to Florida rather than put up with the BS.

Strange situation when people working in the industry describe a card as stupid yet still require it. If they dont respect the card why should I ?

Just my opinions. No disrespect meant to anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom