Dive Luggage Woes--What to Do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey the little buggers count as "a person".

babies don't have lots of luggage.

Yes, but you have to feed the young-uns.

Final ruling from Sun Air:

One large piece checked (or 2 small pieces, but my bag is definitely large), weight limit with SCUBA allowance is 44#.

One small carryon (laptop bag or small backpack), which has to be able to fit under the seat (keep in mind this is a 20 passenger plane).

They charge approx. $1.30 USD per pound over the 44#. However, if the flight isn't full or there isn't a lot of luggage to haul, they aren't as sticky. The problem is, these are little 20 passenger planes for inter-island travel, so not a lot of room for extras.

I ended up taking just a couple pairs of shorts and T-shirts to a few of my stops. They usually have a laundry service and you can always buy what you need as far as toiletries. Mind you all I take is a toothbrush and paste and shaving stuff.

Seems air travel for divers is not getting any easier.

On a recent flight this past week, Continental Airlines refused to allow excess or overweight baggage. You couldn't even just pay the extra fee. They simply wouldn't take more than 2 bags per person, and wouldn't allow the bags to weigh more than 50 pounds each, period.

I would be very hesitant to carry extra bags or overweight bags without some kind of guarantee from the airlines.

One problem you might face is that they have the scales, and if they are not accurate...

Going to Florida in September, my main dive bag left Denver at 35 pounds. The same bag left Florida at 58 pounds. The dive gear was not totally dry, but I am pretty sure it did not have 23 pounds of water.

With the scales, I always allow for a couple pounds, in case the airline's scales aren't in line with mine.

BTW, they only weigh about a pound, so they're going with me.

Dennis, no undies? Ha, ha, ha! I'm only going to take a couple items of clothing, like you said, and either do laundry in the resort's washer and dryer (if available) or wash them out in the sink. I've had to do this before when travelling light. I've also been known to stuff a couple extra pair of undies and socks in my pockets when flying to save weight in checked bags.

Jcsgt:
I'm only going to take a couple items of clothing, like you said, and either do laundry in the resort's washer and dryer (if available) or wash them out in the sink. I've had to do this before when travelling light.

If you don't already have one, get one of those flat rubber one-size-fits-all sink stoppers. Not all hotels have sink stoppers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom