Dive Luggage Woes--What to Do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcsgt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm heading for Fiji, this March, to do a little diving. We're staying on Viti Levu for a few days, then flying over to Taveuni for a week, and finally back to Viti Levu for several more days at Wananavu.

My quandry is this:

Getting to Viti Levu with all my gear (scuba and photography) is not a problem, plenty of weight allowance. However, on the short flight from Viti Levu to Taveuni, we are restricted to one checked piece each, I believe up to 42 pounds. We're allowed only one "very small" carry on.

I plan to go ahead and pay for extra poundage for the checked piece, but I have to worry about somehow getting my cameras and fragile dive equipment into that one bag as well as everything else. Any advice?

Check and see if they have an allowance for scuba gear Chantalle. I've been traveling around Asia for the last few months and had to deal with 20 kg limits as well. I did take two carry-ons and had no problems. Singapore and Malaysian allowed me 10 extra kilos for dive gear. I'd phone and see.

Thanks, Dennis!

No worries...:D With my carry ons, I had one roller case of camera gear and a laptop. I also had a backpack that I would pretend was very light, actually it had my strobes and other camera stuff and weighed about 30lbs.

Even if the airline has a one carry on limit, you are still allowed to take a purse or small laptop case as a "personal item".

I'm very jealous by the way...

I had to wear my BP/W on the plane once.

carry-on anything small and heavy. Load your friend down. Have some kids.
get the approved carry on size roller bag and pack it chocka block full. I put the camera, lenses, down crib blanket, and purse in there. then, I can still carry something else, since the purse is inside. (When the weight allows, I pack it all except the blanket and pillow and puse in the roller bag.)

We often weigh stuff in the hotel room, the bags, and redistribute stuff. Pad fragile items with clothes. I have never had anything broken or lost. Check baggage insurance with Dive Assure or Am X. (I got the plat Am X recently for that perk)

If somebody tries to make you check something and you don't want to just tell them it is thousands of dollars of camera equipment and you don't want to...they never push, they just go pick on somebody else. Or gate check.

LOL, my Lowepro backpack weighs in at about 34# when stuffed with all the necessities. They were weighing everybody's carryon in London, a couple years ago, so I had my buddy put her stuff on the scales, first. When her bag was over, I simply helped her re-arrange stuff from one bag to another, shouldered my pack and began walking toward security. I was expecting to be called back, since it was clear my bag was overweight, but I must have caught the gal offguard.

catherine96821:
I had to wear my BP/W on the plane once.

carry-on anything small and heavy. Load your friend down. Have some kids.

We often weigh stuff in the hotel room, the bags, and redistribute stuff.
:rofl3: :rofl3: Won't be having kids anytime soon, so my dive buddy's gonna have to suck it up and make herself useful.

I carry a set of portable scales, so will definitely be doing a lot of weighing while there. Hey, if I wear my BC and fill it with air, will it be lighter? Ha, ha!

oh..boy. ask Lamont! I dare you. "Z squared cubed to the ninth power, on the moon..."

well...look around for other pack mules..er...children I mean. Most people will gladly loan out children for flights, I have found.

Cathay weighed my carry ons for the first time when I left for Canada a week ago. I told them that I had the same ones I went there with and they let me go after I raised a bit of a stink. Continental weighed my bags in Manila while waiting in line so you could re-pack before you got to the counter.

Yes, I can see you canvassing the folks in line to take you extra stuff Catherine...:D

LOL Catherine that's hilarious.....Excuse me can I use your child for a pack mule...LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom