Dive Luggage suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I travel by plane to dive a couple of times a year. My most recent piece of luggage for checking has been a duffel bag, and packing as efficiently as I can (reg and certain other heavy-ish items in my carry-on) I still weigh in at just under 50 pounds. BCD and fins won't fit in my carry-on, so they are probably the heaviest gear in my bag.
On my last trip, flying in and out of Miami, I had to drag my duffel a lot, and I ended up wearing right through it. Now I am looking for the largest, lightest wheeled duffel that I can find. Any suggestions?
I went to a hard sided spinner bag and it was a mistake. The wheels get broken by the handling. I recommend avoiding that option

This isn’t the lightest weight, but has a smaller compartment on the bottom. Is intended for ski boots, but my wife and I can out both sets of fins and boots in the lower compartment and then our BCDs, SMBs, and some suits in the top. Love it so much we replaced an old one when it wore out.

This isn’t the lightest weight, but has a smaller compartment on the bottom. Is intended for ski boots, but my wife and I can out both sets of fins and boots in the lower compartment and then our BCDs, SMBs, and some suits in the top. Love it so much we replaced an old one when it wore out.

If I was a luggage thief, this would be the first bag on my "most wanted" list!

An older thread, but ANY large rolling duffel bag will work. We use the LL Beem and have for about 10 years. Just pack it correctly and all gear will arrive safely. Fins on the bottom then BC and cover with wetsuits. I carry reg in my backpack.

If I was a luggage thief, this would be the first bag on my "most wanted" list!
LOL, you know, I sometimes wonder about that. Who is going to steal it? You mean during transit by the airlines or before or after? Let's see, any large bag of gear that is heavy and lumpy checked to Cozumel, Cayman, Bonaire etc., etc. and other common scuba destinations, surely the baggage handlers know that the 50 pounds bag they just strained their back on is chocked full of expensive scuba gear? Be it ugly and dumpy or pretty and fancy? I have never had anything stolen despite my roller bag being clearly a scuba kit bag. Beat to Hades, yes, abused, yes, but stolen, no. What else would be in it headed to the Caymans, rocks and underwear?:fear:

+1. Love this bag.

Best features: 1) low weight because there is no frame. 2) wheels (wife got sick of watching me hump my 150L North Face Camp Duffel (no wheels), 3) at 130L big enough to be a body bag, 4) water proof, 5) durable, 6) doesn't have dive logos all over it (i.e. doesn't say "steal my sh*t" to everyone or, if flying United Airlines "in case of weight balancing throw this bag off first").

Appears in stock at:

I really want to love this bag, but I just can't help but wonder how it would roll with no frame/structure. I agree that fins and BC/BPW would help, but there are many reviews indicating otherwise. Plus I guess I could rig up a tow handle but I would not want to have to stoop to roll it for any long distance.

I really want to love this bag, but I just can't help but wonder how it would roll with no frame/structure. I agree that fins and BC/BPW would help, but there are many reviews indicating otherwise. Plus I guess I could rig up a tow handle but I would not want to have to stoop to roll it for any long distance.
Have two, for my wife & myself. Works fine getting to airport checkin. Every international destination that we have been to have free trollys in the baggage claim areas.

LOL, you know, I sometimes wonder about that. Who is going to steal it? You mean during transit by the airlines or before or after? Let's see, any large bag of gear that is heavy and lumpy checked to Cozumel, Cayman, Bonaire etc., etc. and other common scuba destinations, surely the baggage handlers know that the 50 pounds bag they just strained their back on is chocked full of expensive scuba gear? Be it ugly and dumpy or pretty and fancy? I have never had anything stolen despite my roller bag being clearly a scuba kit bag. Beat to Hades, yes, abused, yes, but stolen, no. What else would be in it headed to the Caymans, rocks and underwear?:fear:
My wife and I usually travel together. She is not a diver but her checked bag always weighs more than mine (full of scuba gear) does. lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom