Disadvantage of Worthington Steel 100s with Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Took my tanks in for visual yesterday and was told new regulation (well last year or 2008 new) states that you cannot fill any Nitrox blends 23.5% or higher past 3,000psi.

This obviously is a little disappointing have a steel tank. How many of you still use blends up to 40% at ~3400psi?

Definitely a no-go? I know overfilling LP tanks is against regulation too but we all know everyone does it. Everything is all good until a tank finally does fail or explode from a gas mixture past the safe threshhold. Did I just answer my own question? :)

Just pulled out the paperwork. He wrote at the bottom " CGA and DOT Reg = No Nitrox fills 23.5% O2 or above can be filled beyond 3000 psi."

My instructor back home in December was filling 39-40% blends to 3400-3500 so I guess she is unaware of it as well.

My instructor back home in December was filling 39-40% blends to 3400-3500 so I guess she is unaware of it as well.

I find it difficult to believe this "regulation" exists, the uproar would have been difficult to miss. What shop is telling you this?

There is so much BS, making stuff up as we go, dis-information in the scuba industry it is hard to tell what to believe. The truth depends on which shop you are standing in and on what day.

I suspect the shop that told you that lacks the ability to do the fill and didn't want to tell you that.

actually there is a CGA "rule" on it 23.5%. but it's not a law. It also I don't think has anything to do with 3000 + psi.

it's covered in Vance Harlow's book.. however, even Vance calls the rules misinformed. (it's in the chapter on O2 cleaning. someone that has the book handy can look it up).

but it doesn't state anything about being above 3000psi. To me this is just yet another dive shop owner that is misinformed... :shakehead:

A little bit of research finds that CGA considers anything higher than 23.5% o2 to need to be oxygen cleaned. Can't find anything about fill pressure nonsense.

Sounds like yet another person that doesn't understand the basic business principle that the customer is always right, atleast if you want to stay in business. Why don't you give us some more information about the shop?

Took my tanks in for visual yesterday and was told new regulation (well last year or 2008 new) states that you cannot fill any Nitrox blends 23.5% or higher past 3,000psi.

This obviously is a little disappointing have a steel tank. How many of you still use blends up to 40% at ~3400psi?

Definitely a no-go? I know overfilling LP tanks is against regulation too but we all know everyone does it. Everything is all good until a tank finally does fail or explode from a gas mixture past the safe threshhold. Did I just answer my own question? :)

PM me the LDS in question then I will respond with two who offer great fills...

Last edited:
actually there is a CGA "rule" on it 23.5%. but it's not a law. It also I don't think has anything to do with 3000 + psi.

it's covered in Vance Harlow's book.. however, even Vance calls the rules misinformed. (it's in the chapter on O2 cleaning. someone that has the book handy can look it up).

but it doesn't state anything about being above 3000psi. To me this is just yet another dive shop owner that is misinformed... :shakehead:

Yeah...he talks about it under the heading of "The 40% Rule" and it doesn't have anything to do with psi...it's more about O2 cleaning than anything else...then later on he goes on to talk about why 600psi of O2 should be more dangerous than 3000psi of air when air has a higher PO2... but never says anything really about filling a cylinder with a particular mix
and the effect of a higher psi that I've found just skimming through it:idk:

Back
Top Bottom