Where to Rent Large Steel Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@kensuf , thank you so much that is some really useful information!!

Thankfully my new HP120s are an identical pair so no more need for the mismatched doubles! Interestingly I was expecting the original HP130s I purchased to be off in trim under the water, but I never noticed anything. That was definitely a fear when I first saw the differences. I had no idea two tanks from the same manufacturer could be so different!

And thanks for clarifying all the reasons against boots. #1 is the biggest reason I had wanted to avoid boots. I have seen boot related corrosion damage as well.

Your advice on the wings is much appreciated! I have never used a horseshoe wing (I have a Dive Rite singles wing and a Hog doubles wing, both donut styles). The donut style has worked well for me, so it think I will stay with that type. Thank you for explaining how the frontal profile helps to eliminate drag. I will look into the Halycon and Dive Rite versions and their particular shapes.

On the lift front I was feeling exactly the same way. While I can get by with my current setup, it isn't comfortable, and it will limit me in the future like you mentioned. Now is definitely the time to upgrade!

These are wings you suggested. They all seem to have a similar profile and I like how they are streamlined down the sides and don't seem to stick out too much. I want to avoid the taco look!

Just for comparison, the last one is the wing I was referring to with the 44 and 52lbs capacity. It is a Mares XR wing that is very reasonably priced. I have been trying to get more information on it but not many people on this side of the pond seem to use the Mares Wings. Not sure if you guys have seen any around?

These are wings you suggested. They all seem to have a similar profile and I like how they are streamlined down the sides and don't seem to stick out too much. I want to avoid the taco look!

Just for comparison, the last one is the wing I was referring to with the 44 and 52lbs capacity. It is a Mares XR wing that is very reasonably priced. I have been trying to get more information on it but not many people on this side of the pond seem to use the Mares Wings. Not sure if you guys have seen any around?

I am thinking of heading down to Lake Denton in Avon Park tomorrow afternoon, its straight down 27. I have a Dive Rite Rec XT Dual Bladder (donut) and an Apeks WTX-60R (horseshoe). I can bring both, if you want to giver them a try.

@Micheal sending you a PM....
Gotcha checking PM now...

Also, My buddy has a Big Bertha 85lbs daul bladder. He uses it with his LP108 doubles. Another thought for you.

So yet another update....

I just ordered the Dive Rite Classic XT wing. I went with the donut version over the horseshoe as I that is the style I have always used and am comfortable with. I didn't really want to shell out that much for a new wing, but Dive Rite's reputation (plus a lifetime warranty on the XT version), together with all your recommendations pushed me over the edge. Plus in all likelihood this wing will last me forever, at least as far as back mount open circuit diving goes.

Thanks for all your advice and help. I'll let you know how I get on diving it once it arrives. All being well I will have it dialed in for Cave training starting next month!

Wing size: the shape of the wing is an important part of the solution regarding drag. A well designed wing will have minimal drag, even though it provides enough lift for heavier gear. A poorly designed wing will either cause a lot of drag, or work against you in terms of keeping you in trim.

Two stand-outs for me are the Dive Rite Classic Wing, which is a horseshoe wing with 55# lift and hasn't needed to change a whole lot since it was originally released 30+ years ago (it was re-released two years ago), ...

@lukeb ,

My one and only doubles wing was the (original?) Dive Rite horseshoe wing, which I purchased new c. 1994 to dive with isolation manifold HP 100's (3,500 psig "Genesis") and an Al Dive Rite backplate. Great Lakes, drysuit, extended-range dives.

I dove this gear for a number of years until, anticipating making bigger dives, I switched out the HP 100's for HP 120's (3,500 psig, which I still own). I loved both configurations. I don't think you'll be disappointed--though I never dove the HP 120's in open water wearing a wet suit.

ETA: Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you purchased the horseshoe wing. Never mind.

rx7diver

@rx7diver

I did think about the horseshoe design, but stuck with the donut as it has worked for me with my other two wings, so one less skill to learn.

I'm curious how my current HP120 setup will fare in open water. Tomorrow (130' wreck dive) will be my first salt water dive with my current tank setup, and my last dive with my smaller wing before the new Dive Rite Classic arrives and I get a serious and much needed increase in lift capacity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom