DIR-F Lite - "Essentials of Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
btw - I forgot to add that I was also told the remaining students who take Fundies a second time nearly always pass... So it does speak to the quality of the instruction, but also to the high standards...
Absolutely agreed. I didn't come close to passing my first time, but the instruction was so good that I consistently improved on each of my next 60 dives, and the second time I took it I *still* learned a ton but managed to pass.

Jon,
You have over 60 dives? :D:D

Cause celebration!

Sorry, I'm late to the party, I'll see if I can't catch up all at once.

OE2X:
Bottom line it will turn out better skilled divers. Now if GUE would only offer an OW and AOW class. To do so, it would have to be without much of the chest thumping.
Obviously everyone "got" that this is a 5thd-x thing not a GUE thing. OTOH, its worth mentioning that the 5thd-x already offers a Rec-1 class that includes BOW, AOW, EAN and DIR-F. So its not difficult to see where the idea was first hatched.

Uncle Pug:
Andrew developed the "original" introduction to DIR->DIRf because divers lacked the requisite skills to successfully take Tech 1. It was a workshop style class. It was not pass/fail.
I sense a trend...

Doc Intrepid:
Looks like Andrew G strikes again..., not that its a bad idea, but it definitely isn't GUE. 5thD-X will definitely not have (currently active) GUE instructors (for very much longer). Andrew and GUE have terminated with prejudice any relationship they formerly had... This would seem to be a 5thD-X gig...
I don't think the other 5thd-x instructors are getting thrown under the bus. As least as long as they don't come out with a new line of scooters anyway. :wink:

TheSignGuy:
What a great idea. Now that I have my c-card, I can now learn how to dive. Sounds like a great course. Starting out at 48 I am not looking to get too technical but good diving skills would be a great asset here in the north atlantic. Only problem is, Where do you take it? (the course)
I'm taking it in Monterey later this month. If you are interested, start here and click on Essentials (under Specialties on the left frame).

WaterDawg:
I think it will bw good for folks in the N west coast area. Being able to take a class w/ out the investment in gear. Im sure that gear will be talked about in class and their appetites for such training and equipment will be increased.
In my discussions with 5thd-x, the preference seems to be to have students in DIR/NTEC gear whenever possible, and rentals are available. As I understand it, the emphasis of Essentials will be on buoyancy/trim/position and the safety skills; You can't do s-drills without the long hose and you can't do the four kicks with splits, so that's the minimum equipment standard for those drills. But DIR configuration is still preferred. Dan MacKay's book is the only required text, so that should say something.

wedivebc:
I presonally think this looks like a good program although I think some treat fundies as a yard stick of how good a diver they are.
I don't think this changes that.

The Essentials class isn't DIR-F. It has no requirements except OW certification, a willingness to learn (equipment, etc.), and a belief that this is supposed to be fun. No prior DIR knowledge is expected, its just groundwork for the people who pretty much know they wouldn't pass a Fundies class so why add that stress to what really amounts to a workshop anyway. OTOH, the 5thd-x Fundies class (Fundamentals of DIR, Intro to Tech or whatever it finally gets named) seems to have the same standards as DIR-F -- except that doubles are manditory.

jonnythan:
90% are failing to display the level of skill required to take Tech 1.
Great point, and not just noobs either, but also divers with lots of experience that held high opinions of their diving skills. But if you think about that for a minute, you would see how it could put off a lot of newer divers who didn't learn any of this in BOW/AOW.

StSomewhere:
...and you can't do the four kicks with splits...

Actualy, yes, you can. It took about 5 years to learn How with splits but it can be done.

So, has anyone heard much about the rollout of this new class yet? When's it likely to be available in Europe?

CIBDiving:
Actualy, yes, you can. It took about 5 years to learn How with splits but it can be done.

Thank you!

I do the 4 kicks (and numerous other variations) with split fins, and have friends who do as well.

Glad you were brave enough to admit it first, though. :D

theskull

theskull:
Thank you!

I do the 4 kicks (and numerous other variations) with split fins, and have friends who do as well.

Glad you were brave enough to admit it first, though. :D

theskull
Hmmmm ... the only way I know to do a reverse kick with splits is to use a little duct tape.

Not saying you can't, but I AM a bit skeptical given the mechanics of how the fin's designed to work ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Hmmmm ... the only way I know to do a reverse kick with splits is to use a little duct tape.

Not saying you can't, but I AM a bit skeptical given the mechanics of how the fin's designed to work ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I wonder why someone would keep trying after 4 yrs.

Back
Top Bottom