DIR backup reg necklace - Austin area question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Umm...sure can. Here's a page right from your beloved GUE website that talks about "DIR Equipment Configuration." Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers Guess what? No mention of Bill Main or Hogarthian gear configuration. It's DIR after all. :D

BTW, that took me about 30 seconds to find that article. I can find more if you'd like. :D

Not to inflame an agrument...but...watching the DIR III video posted in the thread a few weeks back, they refered to the harness he wore and talked about as a standard hogarthian harness, I am pretty sure of this.

You're reading too much into what I'm saying. I'm not being defensive or fired up at all. Like I said, at the end of the day it's just diving. :) I'm not interested in getting into a "us vs them" conversation. It's fruitless. I was merely pointing out that the founders of DIR don't claim Hog as their own. I don't think you will find where they claim to have invented any of the gear configurations or even team procedures. All they've done was analyze what works, incorporate that into the diving, and refine as needed. Simple enough.

As far as the gear questions go on the DIR forum, most of the people asking the questions on gear configurations haven't even taken a GUE or DIR equivalent class. They are asking questions to learn and probably don't see the big picture when it comes to DIR. Then again some people have questions about a specific brand of gear.

Way to defuse a potentially entertaining argument...party pooper! :wink:

Umm...sure can. Here's a page right from your beloved GUE website that talks about "DIR Equipment Configuration." Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers Guess what? No mention of Bill Main or Hogarthian gear configuration. It's DIR after all. :D

BTW, that took me about 30 seconds to find that article. I can find more if you'd like. :D

I don't see anything there where GUE claims to have invented the configuration. All I see is a page that explains how the gear is configured.

I don't see anything there where GUE claims to have invented the configuration. All I see is a page that explains how the gear is configured.

Ah...but that's not what I said. I never said they claim to have invented it. Only that they don't often give the credit for the basis of their gear configuration to its actual inventor...Bill Hogarth Main. Here's the quote:
I've read several articles from the DIR leadership. They talk a lot about their basic equipment philosophy and rarely give credit where credit is due...to Bill Main.
:D

Ah...but that's not what I said. I never said they claim to have invented it. Only that they don't often give the credit for the basis of their gear configuration to its actual inventor...Bill Hogarth Main. Here's the quote:
:D

Semantics. They are talking about how the gear is configured itself on the page that you linked to. On the page that I linked to, they are talking about the history and evolution of the gear, which they did provide proper credit. :) Seems logical, right?

John, you're a stroke!

But in all seriousness, Doesn't DIR encourage everyone to splurge on the Blue H... Put the money from the left pocket into the right! And buy their scooters? It seems like a bunch of philanthropists that are taking advantage of a bunch of yes men. Wish I could have been there!

John, you're a stroke!

But in all seriousness, Doesn't DIR encourage everyone to splurge on the Blue H... Put the money from the left pocket into the right! And buy their scooters? It seems like a bunch of philanthropists that are taking advantage of a bunch of yes men. Wish I could have been there!

I don't know where you get that. The only piece of gear that I have that is made by Halcyon is my SMB.

John, you're a stroke!

It's less an encouragement than that you can be sure everything H is DIR...makes it easier for a DIR diver that is not a gear head to buy gear and get to the actual diving of things. Not to mention, within your team it is good when all of your spares work with every other team memberÃÔ equipment (ie batteries, reg parts, scooter parts, etc). This becomes very apparent when you are 100+ miles away from the nearest civilization and even further away from a shop that has the spares you need. It could make the difference between postponing and continuing a project...

The only thing H that I own is my ST wings b/c the price was right. Everything else is from a multitude of manufacturers...all of it rigged to DIR spec so my DIR buddies will know exactly where to find whatever we may need in cases of emergency.

Semantics. They are talking about how the gear is configured itself on the page that you linked to. On the page that I linked to, they are talking about the history and evolution of the gear, which they did provide proper credit. :) Seems logical, right?
Semantics? I suppose so, because there is a difference between accusing someone of saying they invented something they didn't and saying they simply don't give credit where credit is due. Why the DIR fellows who felt compelled to give us their 2 cents (1 cent maybe) can't see the difference isn't my problem though. Lack of education? Low IQ? Fanatical allegiance to DIR? Who knows? :rofl3:

The bottom line is that some of your peer group went postal because of a little fun with words. That's basically the way it always happens. Like I said, DIR fanatics and their groupies are a sensitive lot. They probably ought to play in their own yards with their own toys and we'd all live happily ever after. :D

Here are some more links for your viewing pleasure that prove the points us "strokes" have made in this thread:

It's not about the equipment, huh? Here's a SB thread where you DIR boys are making fun of things like the color of one's tank or reg hose:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/114682-dir-gear-setup-photos.html

Here's an article by the infamous GI3...no mention that the DIR gear config is based on Hogarthian gear configurations:
http://www.divexsite.com/node/56

Here's a definition that was deleted from Wikipedia because it cites no sources and (this one is a big surprise) the neutrality of the article is disputed. :rofl3: No reference to Hog equipment setup...again.
DIR diving (deleted 31 Aug 2008 at 00:26 - Deletionpedia)

Another...
BetterDiving.com Equipment

It took all of 5 minutes to round those up. I will say that JJ does often talk about Hog Gear Config, but most of the rest of what I found just makes me want to vomit. Although JJ seems like a pretty cool guy I don't think even he could undo the damage GI3 and his poor attitude did to DIR. Unfortunately, the problem persists because of instructors and dive shops that still push DIR like it is the only way to dive safely. That attitude is just flat out BS...and they don't give credit to guys like Bill Main, Sheck Exley, Bill Gavin, Lamar English, and others for coming up with most of the ideas on which the DIR philosophy is based. Their ideas include a lot more than gear config too...teamwork among them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom