"Different" Women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definately a tomboy here... definately. :wink:

Well I don't know if I would call myself a thrill seeker but I know I am definitely different than most anyone I know, men and women included.
As for the number of women divers? I couldn't tell ya. But I believe the numbers are increasing.

Polpessa:
There are many more men than women in this sport; just wondered if you women out there notice, or think you are somehow "different" than the majority of women, and how this "difference" manifests itself--for example are you a thrill seeker/ adrenalin junkie/ risk taker in other areas too? (Other sports? Drugs/Alcohol/Heavy partying? Adventure travel?)

Or, if you aren't more of a risk-taker than most women, then what do you think explains our disproportionately low numbers in this sport?

nitroxbabe:
I have completed my Rescue certification and am going to pursue my Divemaster and hopefully beyond. I have already been "subtley" informed that I may have a problem getting respect from male students. My husband is also pursuing the same certifications and he seems to be more desireable as a pool-side assistant than I am. I'm afraid I may have to go on an extended trip and get my Divemaster elsewhere.

Anyone else have these problems and if so, how did ya assert yourself??

I would sincerely LOVE to find out why someone informed you that you may have a problem getting respect from male students. Also, why is your husband more desireable as an assistant than you are? Is it, in someone's opinion, a gender issue or something having to do with your personalities?

Speaking for myself, I have no problems with a female or male instructor. In fact, I think women, on the average, make better instructors because of their attention to detail. But that's just my experience.

Finally, I think that you would breed contempt if you went somewhere else to get leadership certifications then came back to the origional facility to teach. The IT may take it as a personal affront in that he couldn't overcome the reasons why you would make a below par instructor.

If you would feel more comfortable, feel free to PM me on this issue and we can discuss it further off line.

Warmest Regards,

Lee

raviepoo:
Despite that I would say that I'm different from the "average" woman in many ways. The average woman is afraid of creepy crawlies and nasties. (Sharks, eels, works, snakes etc.) The average woman would piss herself jumping out of an airplane with a parachute on her back. The average woman wouldn't be caught dead with her hair looking the way mine looks after a day of diving. And forget maintaining a manicure if your hands spend a lot of time in salt water.

I don't do drugs and alcohol because they would interfere with my diving. I don't even drink coffee if I'm diving because I don't want to deal with coming down from my coffee high while under water. When I go on trips I opt for an early to bed early to rise schedule so I can be fresh on the boat first thing in the morning. But despite my lack of mundane vices I am an adrenaline junkie. The only thing I'm afraid of is the possibility that I might miss something. My mom thinks I'm crazy. But I'm having more fun than she ever had.
raviepoo, I completely hear you.

I have never been that concerned with the perfect manicure, makeup, or hair. In fact, I cut my hair short when I started having problems between my mask and hood seals. As one of the gals at work said, "About time you did something with your hair!" I guess having longer hair was wasted on me. I went through a phase where I actually wore makeup, fragrance (other than deodorant) and fixed my hair, but I quickly got tired of doing it every day. Nowadays it takes a special occasion to get me into makeup or something other than jeans and a t shirt.

I drive a stick-shift Ford Ranger. I wanted a vehicle I could abuse, and this little thing has stuck with me and I like to think appreciates me despite all. Recently (July) I totalled it but am so attached to it that I 'bought it back' and had it repaired so we are back together again. I'm pretty attached to my truck and hope I don't have to replace it for a long time.

My interests, hobbies and activities currently include sailing, geocaching (stumbling around in the wilderness following a GPS unit), underwater hockey, camping, and both freediving and scuba. I have also enjoyed (and hope to get back into) ice hockey - I was a certified referee for several years - and running. I am currently trying on a new interest: dry caving (also known as spelunking), and will be joining my first day trip dry caving next weekend. Last weekend I had the chance to try rappelling(also known as abseiling) and ascending for the first time and I'm hooked. Aqua, just for you, here's a pic:

Good question, difficult answer.

Many of the sports I find myself involved in, have many more men than women: mountain-biking, scuba-diving, kayaking, mountain-climbing and now the martial arts. I have attempted to persuade my few women friends to at least give these sports a try or explain their lack of enthusiasm for them, and the answers range anywhere from, "It's just too messy!" (salty wet hair, mud covered body, scraped knees, etc.). to "I am afraid" (alligator and shark-infested waters, snakes, heights, fast speeds, etc.). I won't pretend that these thoughts have never passed my mind as well (except for the fear of mud and heights-bring it on!!!), but that is part of the thrill for me. From the age of 4, my dad had me on rollercoasters and I have craved thrills ever since. Every time I come across something new that instills a little bit of trepidation in me, I take a gulp and plunge in. I think many women, myself included, are more hesistant to take that initial leap, but I do know it is well worth it in the end. And, after all, life is just way too short to not Carpe Diem. :)

I'd say that I'm an independent woman who is a bit of a thrill seeker, but I always know that it's a measured risk. I love skydiving, skiing, and scuba but make sure that I'm being safe with all of them. I find that the underwater environment just holds so much more than the run of the mill land life. I also have been a commercial Alaskan fisherman as well, and I'm not afraid of slimy things or bugs. I grew up around the water and strong-willed people, so that's why I love it so much.

I think it is because there are certain women who won't be stopped by anything and realize that they can do almost anything a man can do, some things that they can't, and can be as good or better at.

I guess I'd class myself as being 'different'. I've been competing in bicycle racing since I could ride a bike & was generally the only girl racing. After that I moved onto riding a motobike - another male orientated activity, then came the diving & snowboarding.
As for the question about drinking/drugs/partying etc - I like a drink & try to go out most weekends. At our recent clubs summer ball I was up drinking with some of the guys until about 5am, got up the next day had breakfast & went diving. The guys I was drinking with either missed the first dive or didn't dive at all (& were riddiculed for this).
As for pictures, well that's me in the avatar - if you want to see any more then look at my website.

Wow! This thread has been around for a while, eh? In one of the first few posts to this thread, there was a diver who mentioned how the women she knows who are OW either don't have kids or are no longer raising kids. Just to add my two cents, I'm an OW diver who dove while my baby stayed on shore, either with non-diver friends or my OW husband as we were taking turns diving and watching the kid. My son is now nineteen months, and I'd still be diving if I wasn't expecting my 2nd son in January.

I'll be back in the water as soon as the temps go up a bit in the springtime! :)

Like many have said...I don't feel different...I'm just me

I had lived land locked for greater part of my life. I remember growing up watching Jacques Cousteau on Sundays while he adventured around the world, opening a door to a new and beautiful world. But not for one second did I think I could ever do that. I learned to swim when we moved to a town where the school had and "olympic size" swimming pool...something very rare in the early 70's....once I got in the water, they called me water rat. I still never wasted a thought on scuba.

I went to school, learned a profession, got married (to a man that couldn't swim), had kids and still never thought of scuba being something for me. Then chance sent me to a tropical place and I snorkeled, I was in awe - the feeling in me, indescribable...and all the memories of the things that I saw on TV as a child came flooding back. Then, from that experience, a strong, very strong desire started burning in me. The desire to get closer, to be down there and explore the underwater world.

When I spoke of my desire at home I was declared crazy
"Why waste your time and money getting certified if you have no place to do it?",
"You can't do that!"
"What about your asthma?"
"It's not a female sport!"
and on and on.....

Yeah, right, like that was going to stop me....

6 months later I wound up in the Red Sea and was certified. Never once was I scared or worried that I couldn't do this. I didn't let peer pressure, a water logged ear or sea sickness (and believe me, to this day I get really sick) stop me.

I found a piece of me that I never new was missing. For me it's not a trill, it's like coming home.

FWIW: there is no way to generalize what makes you a diver. I hate touching wet wood. I don't like having dirty hands and nails. The other day, while working outside in the evening a BIG roach crawled over my foot - BLAH! ( don't mind your average spider, but bring those big hairy buggas....watch me run) I have short hair and mostly just comb it thru....dressing and making up only for special occasions....wear shorts 365 days of the year. I'm girly on some days and a tomboy on others...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom