"Different" Women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Polpessa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
There are many more men than women in this sport; just wondered if you women out there notice, or think you are somehow "different" than the majority of women, and how this "difference" manifests itself--for example are you a thrill seeker/ adrenalin junkie/ risk taker in other areas too? (Other sports? Drugs/Alcohol/Heavy partying? Adventure travel?)

Or, if you aren't more of a risk-taker than most women, then what do you think explains our disproportionately low numbers in this sport?

I've never really thought about it, to be honest. As far as being a thrill seeker, I'm not sure that's a definition I would give myself, though I LOVE skydiving - too bad it's so expensive. I won't bungee jump though - go figure. Adventure travel is fun, but most of my vacation "themes" are more sedate, as I'm usually with my 6 year old.

I also love whitewater rafting and had a great time abseiling and spelunking on a recent vacation. If I had enough money to support both scuba and flying, I would definitely love to learn to fly.

I've never been athletic - quite the opposite, in fact - but have recently found myself forced to exercise to keep in decent shape. Good thing I love to swim.

Hmmm - I have no idea why there are so few women as compared to men that dive.

There are many more female divers than there used to be.

Despite that I would say that I'm different from the "average" woman in many ways. The average woman is afraid of creepy crawlies and nasties. (Sharks, eels, works, snakes etc.) The average woman would piss herself jumping out of an airplane with a parachute on her back. The average woman wouldn't be caught dead with her hair looking the way mine looks after a day of diving. And forget maintaining a manicure if your hands spend a lot of time in salt water.

I don't do drugs and alcohol because they would interfere with my diving. I don't even drink coffee if I'm diving because I don't want to deal with coming down from my coffee high while under water. When I go on trips I opt for an early to bed early to rise schedule so I can be fresh on the boat first thing in the morning. But despite my lack of mundane vices I am an adrenaline junkie. The only thing I'm afraid of is the possibility that I might miss something. My mom thinks I'm crazy. But I'm having more fun than she ever had.

I don't think I'm different from other women. I am fortunate that I have the free time to devote to scuba diving.

I also think more and more women are becoming divers. Soon the US will be similar to Japan where the majority of divers are women. Scuba diving is loosing a lot of its deadly and macho reputation and this helps with more people becoming divers.

It's also great that women divers (in my experience) are treated with the same respect as any other diver. No one is treating me like I'm different or shouldn't be diving. :)

Aquagal

I'm a thrill seeking drug addicted alcoholic who travels to other parts of the world just to party hard and take my chances in the briny deep! :wink: LOL....those of you who know me know what an absurd statement that is!

Like Raviepoo...I'm not afraid of creepy crawlie nasties, in fact I want to get closer for a good look see! God designed my short curly hairdo and my nails are kept short because my diving comes first. My clothes are bought for comfort and I am who I am for me, no one else. I've found that those 'average' women have no desire to dive and don't understand why the rest of us want to. To each their own.

I think the more women see other women divers, the more they know they can do it too. I live in a small town and everyone knows I dive. Several women a week come up to me in the grocery store, gas station.... wherever, and express surprise that I can do this. "You're the scubadiver, aren't you?" Once they see that a middle aged, overweight woman can dive, they start telling me of their dreams to dive since childhood. Alot have gone on to get certified and are enjoying it.

I've always been accepted as a diver by men and the only time I've had to 'prove' myself was as a Divemaster. Some men do not want to take instruction from a woman. But usually when they see I am treated with respect by the instructors, and that I don't have a 'dike' attitude (yes, I've been called that!) then there's no problem.

When I get old, I want to be able to say I did..., instead of I wish I had...

Well, the majority of MEN don't dive either. Here's what I see: the women I know who dive have good jobs of their own or are doing it with husbands who have really good jobs & the money to pay for both. The women I see taking classes either have not had kids yet or are done raising their kids. I have NEVER met an OW women who has small kids at home. However, I have seen many husbands with pregnant, nursing, or otherwise family-involved wives taking OW. While the men come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, there are certain ethnicities of women who seem culturally discouraged beyond the average norms.

So who is the average OW female student that I see (and this may vary by region): Educated white or Asian with a professional job age 26-34, no kids, usually unmarried, independent living. I will also add that the vast majority start out with trim bodies as the "average" woman is very self-conscious in a swimsuit even when "perfect." So that really limits it, huh?

On the other hand, men seem to have no appologies for their bodies at any time in life, have no limits of childbearing years or primary obligation t care for kids, no cultural gender role that limits them, and come from a wider range of economic backgrounds (perhaps a lower middle income woman buckles at the extravagance, but a man feels more entitled to his indulgeances?)

How come none of the women that have posted here have picture in their bio

I especially think art.chick is on to something noticing that OW students are either young or past their child-raising years. I hadn't quite looked at it that way, but you have a real point there. Maybe there's something to be said for just having cats! :wink:

The original question is kind of an interesting one. I don't think of myself as all that "different". I'm not a thrill seeker, almost never drink, usually fall asleep on the sofa before 9:30 at night. Overall, I think I'm pretty boring. :) It's funny, though, how others in society view my hobbies as "different". I always get a good reaction when I mention that I play ice hockey. But I play ice hockey and dive because both are a lot of fun, not becuase they take any extraordinary courage or skill.

Maybe the only "difference" between me and other women is that I didn't assume that I couldn't do something becuase I'm "a girl". More and more women are certifying to dive every day, and I'm pleased to see the level of aceptance that we get in diving circles. Maybe someday we won't be the minority of divers any more. Until then, I'll just enjoy having better consumption than all of the guys on the boat!

I usually don't think of myself as "different". This is the way I have always been. I am just myself. But really, I am a 53 year old woman who only started to dive a year and a half ago, about the same time I finally got my B.S. in Mathematics. Yes, I was a 51 year old college graduate.

I actually started my family in diving. I wanted it, did it and my husband and our son took lessons after me. Then this year we got a daughter-in-law and she took her BOW as her birthday present. I managed to set myself up with plenty of dive buddies. I didn't get started seeking thrills, I have just always loved the water and wanted to join the underwater world. My daughter-in-law is the same way, she was so excited the first time she went into the Gulf and she came up ready to go again.

Gee, maybe I am different, how many women out there get their B.S. in mathematics as 51!!!

I guess the answer to "are we women divers different" is YES, we seem to be a fairly independent lot, even those of us that are married and have children don't seem to let that determine what we can or can't do, or be.

The only exception to this seems to be the women I have met who are learning to dive to please their "significant other". Many of these ladies don't seem to be that interested in what they are learning and probably will not stay with diving unless they stay with this SO. Unless they get hooked by the underwater world. Several of this type haven't even made it through their certification dives, because they didn't want it enough on their own.

Of course this is just my observation, I could be wrong. Although, my husband says I am never wrong. Ha, Ha!

emeyer36

Well, this changes all the time, but at the last DEMA show, which was January 01 they said the dive industry was 75% men and 25% women. They also said the average age of new male divers was 27 and had an income of $38,000.
When I come back from DEMA in 7 more days, I'll report what they now say.

As far as the personal question, am I different, and a risk taker?
I would say, 'nope, neither.' I like to travel to cool places, but other then that, I'm a Mom, and everyday business woman struggling to make it. I would never bungi jump, or jump out of an airplane. I like sharks, and snakes but I hate spiders.
And Aqua, I have a picture posted.

Back
Top Bottom