"Different" Women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi divemistress

Glad you liked it. It has been one of my faveorits since 1999 I think. Chech out "Weak of the Week" for a good laugh. There are some wird folks out there. I like that they are not let in hier either - or at least not for long.

Will you try to join HBI? Then do a thoughtfull job on the application! :thumb:

I love this link!

Are diving women different? I say no! I started diving only because all the men around me who kept talking about taking classes never did and I followed through. A couple of them took OW after I finished and they never went further.

About 17 years ago I was a teaching assistant at UC Irvine in the Biology department and the professors told us that guys do not like bugs. Sure enough, when I gave lab quizzes on insects and worms the girls would do better than the guys. Now I'm not sure if the girls were just more academic and the guys just wanted to play with the creepy crawlies??? It's something to think about.

Yes, I was a tomboy growing up. I would go camping, fishing and play bird dog while my dad hunted. My grandfather was so appalled that he gave me a subscription to Better Homes and Gardens when I was 9. I think I ended up with a good balance. I rock climb, rollarblade, golf, white water raft, play tennis, and play with power tools around the house. But I also was a runway model for a petite clothing line. I can cook and knit. At a dive site you can catch me with the makeup remover while I am gearing up. I have season tickets to the ballet and love my high heels and St John suits.

I was accused of being too independent but until somebody comes along and shows me they can do it better I rather do things on my own and not have to worry about it. I think I'm low maintenance.

Men don't really know what to make of me because I challenge the core of their confidence. I can do almost every thing a guy can do, sometimes better. Yes, I admit I am smarter than the average bear but is that enough to generalize that women divers are that much different? I agree circumstances nowadays make it easier for women to dive, but those who do dive now are willing to assert themselves and carry their own weight (belt and tank).
:wink:

I think I'm definitely more independant and adventurous than most.

Growing up I was a total tomboy. I didn't like most girls, I thought they were too prissy, sissy and whiney! It bugged me to no end that they would get hysterical over a snake, or mouse or bug. I purposely sought those things out for pets!

I'm also much more adventurous that most women I know. I participate in virtually every sport, I love to hike, bike, mountain climb, ski, spelunk, white water raft, etc. and though I haven't done it yet I really want to skydive, hang glide and maybe even bungee jump.

I can change a tire and my oil, and before I was married I used to do all kinds of simpler mechanical work on my car. I can lay tile, build a wall, put up sheetrock, paneling, you name it.

Even though I was a total tomboy, luckily I grew up to appreciate the femininity of other women and my own. I now enjoy being feminine on occasion and think I pull it off pretty well. I have "girly-girl" friends who shriek at the sight of spiders or snakes, but I love them anyway!

As to diving; well I've had many women tell me they wouldn't dive because they would be afraid of the critters down there, so that does seperate me from them. They don't know what they are missing! :)

Hi!
I came across this link a couple of days ago and I must admit I love it! :)
I've been diving for a short period of time (only a year and a half) so I can't say something like 'from my long experience' but ...
I always wanted to dive :D The biggest problem so far was the money, of course. Now maybe it has something to do with my country being a small one but when ever I say 'I dive' everyone's surprised. Our sea is a really beautiful one so there are a lot of foreigners during the summer. On each dive I took lets say there were 8-10 of us. 2-3 were females. 3 of us were Croats (including the instructor! and I was the only Croat female!). Non of my female friends are even interested in it! Mostly because they're scared... So am I different? It seems so!
I like skiing and this year I promised myself I'll try snow boarding. I love rafting and I hope I'll have time (and money!) to try skydiving this spring.... Am I an adrenaline seeker? Well... maybe! :D
But all and all it's nice to know I'm not alone and maybe not so 'different' after all! Thanks :)

Aquababe:
Welcome to scuba and welcome to the scuba board. I look forward to hearing about your beautiful country.

Hmmm... So in reading through most of the responses to whether us women divers feel we are necessarily "different" from most men I was definately able to outline a decent list of characteristics and traits to describe a certain type of women.

First and foremost, it seems we are all curious individuals who don't let fear and what others tell us contain us, but rather feel the need to get out and learn what we like for ourselves.

As such we are independent, fun-loving women who tend to be pretty comfortable with ourselves. I would say we view ourselves as equals with men, and tend to be pretty low-maintenance and down-to-earth.

We are self-sufficient and like to do things for ourselves.

We are "doers," not "talkers."

Level-headed, generally. Or just crazy, but the crazy ones will only last so long in the diving world...

We were likely an adrenaline junky at one point, or friends with adrenaline junkies but not recognize the difference between having a good adventure and doing something risky to the point of being stupid.

Although some things may scare us, our curiosity and desire to "know" is likely a more powerful force.

I personally have to agree with nearly all of the above, but would have to say that it is not just women divers that are different, but rather divers in general. I think there is definately something about the mentality of the average diver that's, well, different from the average person. I'd have to say we are more like explorers, and not one's to readily accept being told how to live our lives.

Just a guess and a few generalizations... let me know what you guys think. Oh yeah and Aquatech... feel free to check out my website... :wink:

Hey, mindseye -thanks for resurrecting this thread :D

I've met many divers, men and women -
Manly men divers,
Girly men divers,
Manly women divers,
and even a couple of Girly girl divers.

Unfortunately, even a couple years later since this thread was started, it still seems there are fewer women than men who are serious about diving.

But as for the "type" of women that dive? Well, from what I've seen so far - just as with the men who dive and women who don't, we come in all different shapes, sizes, interests, personalities, degrees of adventure-seeking, aggressiveness or squeemishness. I just can't seem to fit the women who dive in any general category other than the type of plumbing they come with :wink:

mindseye20:
Hmmm... So in reading through most of the responses to whether us women divers feel we are necessarily "different" from most men I was definately able to outline a decent list of characteristics and traits to describe a certain type of women.

First and foremost, it seems we are all curious individuals who don't let fear and what others tell us contain us, but rather feel the need to get out and learn what we like for ourselves.

As such we are independent, fun-loving women who tend to be pretty comfortable with ourselves. I would say we view ourselves as equals with men, and tend to be pretty low-maintenance and down-to-earth.

We are self-sufficient and like to do things for ourselves.

We are "doers," not "talkers."

Level-headed, generally. Or just crazy, but the crazy ones will only last so long in the diving world...

We were likely an adrenaline junky at one point, or friends with adrenaline junkies but not recognize the difference between having a good adventure and doing something risky to the point of being stupid.

Although some things may scare us, our curiosity and desire to "know" is likely a more powerful force.

I personally have to agree with nearly all of the above, but would have to say that it is not just women divers that are different, but rather divers in general. I think there is definately something about the mentality of the average diver that's, well, different from the average person. I'd have to say we are more like explorers, and not one's to readily accept being told how to live our lives.

Just a guess and a few generalizations... let me know what you guys think. Oh yeah and Aquatech... feel free to check out my website... :wink:

I agree with this, I agree people who dive are different, and women who decide to dive on their own, not to please an SO, are different also. I am a biologist - it's gotta be pretty gross and pretty scary to faze me! I am also a single mom of 2 school age kids and I do not have a good job - learning to dive meant sacrifice for me (no new books for 6 months, wearing my socks til they wore right out, etc.). I have always been a bit of a tomboy and quite athletic (I also run, cycle, lift weights, skate, cross-country ski). I am a risk-taker, and an adrenaline junkie. Before I had kids, I was a volunteer fire-fighter.

I don't have a photo posted because well, like why?? But I am going to try and find someone to take a photo of myself I can post, just to shut some people up!

And I totally love HBI, even though I didn't apply for membership because I don't think I have what it takes. Maybe in a few more years!

Back
Top Bottom