"Different" Women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

art.chick:
Well, the majority of MEN don't dive either. Here's what I see: the women I know who dive have good jobs of their own or are doing it with husbands who have really good jobs & the money to pay for both. The women I see taking classes either have not had kids yet or are done raising their kids. I have NEVER met an OW women who has small kids at home. However, I have seen many husbands with pregnant, nursing, or otherwise family-involved wives taking OW. While the men come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, there are certain ethnicities of women who seem culturally discouraged beyond the average norms.

So who is the average OW female student that I see (and this may vary by region): Educated white or Asian with a professional job age 26-34, no kids, usually unmarried, independent living. I will also add that the vast majority start out with trim bodies as the "average" woman is very self-conscious in a swimsuit even when "perfect." So that really limits it, huh?

On the other hand, men seem to have no appologies for their bodies at any time in life, have no limits of childbearing years or primary obligation t care for kids, no cultural gender role that limits them, and come from a wider range of economic backgrounds (perhaps a lower middle income woman buckles at the extravagance, but a man feels more entitled to his indulgeances?)

AND got c-card this past year.
Single mom
got the babysitter for 10 weeks and did it.

Guess I broke the mold.

art.chick:
Well, the majority of MEN don't dive either. Here's what I see: the women I know who dive have good jobs of their own or are doing it with husbands who have really good jobs & the money to pay for both. The women I see taking classes either have not had kids yet or are done raising their kids. I have NEVER met an OW women who has small kids at home.

So who is the average OW female student that I see (and this may vary by region): Educated white or Asian with a professional job age 26-34, no kids, usually unmarried, independent living. I will also add that the vast majority start out with trim bodies as the "average" woman is very self-conscious in a swimsuit even when "perfect." So that really limits it, huh?

On the other hand, men seem to have no appologies for their bodies at any time in life, have no limits of childbearing years or primary obligation t care for kids, no cultural gender role that limits them, and come from a wider range of economic backgrounds (perhaps a lower middle income woman buckles at the extravagance, but a man feels more entitled to his indulgeances?)

I have a lousy job but am very well-educated - that right there may make the difference regarding a woman diving or not. I am separated and have two school-aged kids. It cost a small fortune in babysitting to get my OW. However, I look fantastic in a wetsuit, so . . . :rofl:

I think you are right about the men though - they do tend to care less what their bodies look like, and also to feel entitled to expensive pastimes while women sacrifice their own needs for their families.

Can we change that please??? Can we equal out this entitlement thing??

I think you are right about the men though - they do tend to care less what their bodies look like, and also to feel entitled to expensive pastimes while women sacrifice their own needs for their families.

I can really relate to that.....I also think a change is in order

"Every time I come across something new that instills a little bit of trepidation in me, I take a gulp and plunge in. I think many women, myself included, are more hesistant to take that initial leap, but I do know it is well worth it in the end. And, after all, life is just way too short to not Carpe Diem."

"Then chance sent me to a tropical place and I snorkeled, I was in awe - the feeling in me, indescribable...and all the memories of the things that I saw on TV as a child came flooding back. Then, from that experience, a strong, very strong desire started burning in me. The desire to get closer, to be down there and explore the underwater world...
6 months later I wound up in the Red Sea and was certified. Never once was I scared or worried that I couldn't do this. I didn't let peer pressure, a water logged ear or sea sickness (and believe me, to this day I get really sick) stop me. I found a piece of me that I never new was missing. For me it's not a thrill, it's like coming home."

I have to agree with the two women above. You can only generalize the women who do this to a certain extent, and when you do you realize that generalization extends just as much to men. In the end I think there are two things that really set divers, or women divers apart:
1) We confront our fears
2) Getting involved in diving is like finding a part of yourself- a forgotten wonder and passion from your childhood maybe- that feels like coming home.

Nehallenia:
[I read somewhere recently that only 17% of people in the world are SCUBA divers, but together those divers have seen 70% of the world up close and underwater. We are privileged!

Hello Nehallenia,
17% of the people in the world? I would have thought that maybe 17% of people in the developed economies but.....India and China comprise about 40% of the world population and I doubt either have many divers per capita. And that doesn't include Africa, South America.....But, I've been wrong before. Hank

Nehallenia:

Can we change that please??? Can we equal out this entitlement thing??

AMEN SISTAS!!!
I did my open water in Mexico this last May, had no idea that I was going to do it. Saw a dive tank on the site of the resort (I was there with just my non-swimming girlfriend, no hubby, no teenagers) was curious, and ended up getting in to try it. I'll ALWAYS try anything once, and twice if it didn't kill me the first time. I was hooked from the minute I equalized!!

When I returned, hubby picked me up from the airport. I was wired, all I wanted was to tell him about it. His only question, 'how much did it cost?' I pay the bills, he doesn't, and I work. He did his best to suck the wind out of my sails. Didn't work. (I'll want to talk to Nehallenia 'bout that stuff!!!)

But, I think the attitude comes at us from many directions. And fortunate is the woman who has a man that believes she is entitled to the time and resources for herself and interests of her own!!!!

Hank49:
Hello Nehallenia,
17% of the people in the world? I would have thought that maybe 17% of people in the developed economies but.....India and China comprise about 40% of the world population and I doubt either have many divers per capita. And that doesn't include Africa, South America.....But, I've been wrong before. Hank

I suspect the great majority of that 17% do come from wealthy countries, yes. That stat came from either Dive Training magazine or the PADI Project Aware manuel.

pennypue:
AMEN SISTAS!!!
I did my open water in Mexico this last May, had no idea that I was going to do it. Saw a dive tank on the site of the resort (I was there with just my non-swimming girlfriend, no hubby, no teenagers) was curious, and ended up getting in to try it. I'll ALWAYS try anything once, and twice if it didn't kill me the first time. I was hooked from the minute I equalized!!

When I returned, hubby picked me up from the airport. I was wired, all I wanted was to tell him about it. His only question, 'how much did it cost?' I pay the bills, he doesn't, and I work. He did his best to suck the wind out of my sails. Didn't work. (I'll want to talk to Nehallenia 'bout that stuff!!!)
QUOTE]

I was addicted from my first Try-A-Tank, too. As for the negative hubby - argh! If he wasn't financially on the hook for it and your family didn't go without food or electricity or something for you to do it, what's the problem, regardless of who pays the bills? Sounds like he was jealous that you had a good time. His negativity is ALL ABOUT HIM, Pennypue, and don't let him take away your joy in your newfound hobby. Send me a PM anytime.

Hey Im a single parent with two children and work full time. I hate spiders and will scream like a proper girlie if someone put one on me. I am independant though and do things for me. I started diving about a year ago after a spanish diver laughed at me when I said I would love to try it but couldnt swim very well. I just had to prove him wrong, which I did. I still cant swim very well but under the water is a totally different world from the one I live in and I love it. I am not an adrenaline junkie but do like going out to party with my mates and travelling. I also dont give two monkeys what other people think if my hair is a mess and I look like a tramp with no make up on, completely different to the well groomed person I have to be for work. And all my mates think Im a lucky bugger getting to hang around with a load of guys all of whom look after me like a sister. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom