Difference between MB levels and Gradient Factors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asking as a student,
Does the G2 impose a mandatory safety stop, that in the G2 menu can not be circumvented? In the G2 manual, pages 22, 68, 78 I'm taking all of that to read that the micro bubble display , if you ignore your Level setting, it will "NAG" you by just defaulting to the next less conservative level? As a reminder to not exceed the depth variable ascent speed, that can not be changed either. So if you use a G2, your going to risk gauge mode by not doing the mandatory safety stop, being nagged by a yellow or red speed box, and a warning about the MB level? Could / should we just set the surface interval to less than one minute or just operate the G2 as an instructor in Gauge mode? if we are doing multiple CESAs' can we just set the safety stop timer to "off" ? All of this seems to be related somehow? I mean seriously,...the ins and outs of this G2, we need some kind of more detailed blog, just for the eccentricities of this thing.
Bubble Model computers are not the right tool for multiple CESAs. Use a different computer.

Does the G2 impose a mandatory safety stop
No. If your diving is no-stop diving within NDL's, the safety stop is theoretically optional, and the G2 or Luna will not lock you out, even after you've been downgraded from L5 to L0.

Of course, now that I'm more familiar with gradient factors and offgassing, I don't consider safety stops optional, CESA's aside.

Bubble Model computers are not the right tool for multiple CESAs. Use a different computer.
I was kind of trying to get the G2 to do the same thing, I mean downgrade it so to speak, and more or less wondering what others have been doing. I like the G2 because of the display. I would just put it into gauge mode and leave it at that.

However OW student shows up on referral dives, 20 / 30 feet multiple times, PADI for example, latest IDC, they use their equipment,...we use the still recommended 60/min ascent rate,.. (or slower) .how and or what do I do about their G2 ? No more than 3 student dives per day, day 2 we do OW dive 4 and is there or is there not any N debt? Put a G2 into gauge mode for them and this clears the clock N wise so to speak,...do you get where I am going with this? Student looks at their G2 and the ascent rate is blinking red, and because we skip the mandatory G2 safety stop it goes into SOS mode. The question isn't bubble model computers are not the right tool, the question is how do we get a G2 to do the job, which road leads to Rome so to speak,...Cause the G2 is a very popular computer and I'm seeing more and more of them. What I am speaking about is that there seems to be a general lack of knowledge in order to get the G2 to display what you want, and only what you want and how to set it up to do the same.

So I've never used a G2 before, just got one handed to me. So I have never gone thru the 15 foot range and waited 3 min with a G2. But as I read the manual, and listen to other owners,...the G2 will clearly go into SOS mode.

You used this in your reply: "the safety stop is theoretically optional."

What I am not hearing is from a user of a G2, and that user clearly states that the mandatory G2 safety stop, will or will not go into SOS mode? And my reading of this safety stop is not an option that I have found in the manual yet.

This is what I am looking for. Do you follow? Not being difficult here, just trying to sort out what the manual explicitly states, Vs. if the manual is accurate or not. Because tomorrow I'm going to do a couple of fast ascents to see what actually happens with this thing. :)

I was kind of trying to get the G2 to do the same thing, I mean downgrade it so to speak, and more or less wondering what others have been doing. I like the G2 because of the display. I would just put it into gauge mode and leave it at that.

However OW student shows up on referral dives, 20 / 30 feet multiple times, PADI for example, latest IDC, they use their equipment,...we use the still recommended 60/min ascent rate,.. (or slower) .how and or what do I do about their G2 ? No more than 3 student dives per day, day 2 we do OW dive 4 and is there or is there not any N debt? Put a G2 into gauge mode for them and this clears the clock N wise so to speak,...do you get where I am going with this? Student looks at their G2 and the ascent rate is blinking red, and because we skip the mandatory G2 safety stop it goes into SOS mode. The question isn't bubble model computers are not the right tool, the question is how do we get a G2 to do the job, which road leads to Rome so to speak,...Cause the G2 is a very popular computer and I'm seeing more and more of them. What I am speaking about is that there seems to be a general lack of knowledge in order to get the G2 to display what you want, and only what you want and how to set it up to do the same.

So I've never used a G2 before, just got one handed to me. So I have never gone thru the 15 foot range and waited 3 min with a G2. But as I read the manual, and listen to other owners,...the G2 will clearly go into SOS mode.

You used this in your reply: "the safety stop is theoretically optional."

What I am not hearing is from a user of a G2, and that user clearly states that the mandatory G2 safety stop, will or will not go into SOS mode? And my reading of this safety stop is not an option that I have found in the manual yet.

This is what I am looking for. Do you follow? Not being difficult here, just trying to sort out what the manual explicitly states, Vs. if the manual is accurate or not. Because tomorrow I'm going to do a couple of fast ascents to see what actually happens with this thing. :)

I don't follow what you are saying exactly, does the G2 lockout if you violate something like the Suunto's do? What does it lock you out for? How long?

I don't follow what you are saying exactly, does the G2 lockout if you violate something like the Suunto's do? What does it lock you out for? How long?
Miss the hardwired safety stop at 15 for 3 and it goes into SOS mode for 24 hours. No direct options to turn this setting off. SOS mode means no deco calculations. So if your going to do a CESA, is there a way to turn / change some settings that don't involve a desat reset. Or just put it into gauge mode and avoid the messages / doesn't do any deco calcs. The easiest thing is just to put it into gauge mode and do your multiple cesas' . I mean anyone is free to use the 31x code and just reset everything,...but what about some students equipment? My solution is going to be to have a discussion about putting it into gauge mode. I was looking for other users of the G2 to see about issues and solutions. Cause the manual does in fact leave a lot to be desired. This isn't a big issue,...but I have put myself into a position with things like the G2 comes out of the box with the heart rate monitor factory set to "on" and this setting actually supposedly has deco calculation issues. So see someone with a G2 and not a heart rate monitor and how do I answer any questions about this particular computer with a straight face when I don't really know how it works in the first place. So I ask, for other users of this unit,...to see what they have to say,...

and if you can't tell it is beer oclock at the moment,.....

Miss the hardwired safety stop at 15 for 3 and it goes into SOS mode for 24 hours. No direct options to turn this setting off. SOS mode means no deco calculations. So if your going to do a CESA, is there a way to turn / change some settings that don't involve a desat reset. Or just put it into gauge mode and avoid the messages / doesn't do any deco calcs. The easiest thing is just to put it into gauge mode and do your multiple cesas' . I mean anyone is free to use the 31x code and just reset everything,...but what about some students equipment? My solution is going to be to have a discussion about putting it into gauge mode. I was looking for other users of the G2 to see about issues and solutions. Cause the manual does in fact leave a lot to be desired. This isn't a big issue,...but I have put myself into a position with things like the G2 comes out of the box with the heart rate monitor factory set to "on" and this setting actually supposedly has deco calculation issues. So see someone with a G2 and not a heart rate monitor and how do I answer any questions about this particular computer with a straight face when I don't really know how it works in the first place. So I ask, for other users of this unit,...to see what they have to say,...

Got you. Yes, that's an issue if it does that. Did you ever contact SP's support concerning this matter?

SP has a new version of G2, the G2 Tek, I hope it doesn't have lockout feature.

Hahaha, it is oh shiit early where I am in Libya, 04:30 now.

You are in Boston? I lived in MA for a very long time, MA is "home" for me in the US. I graduated from WPI. A lot of my diving was in Cape Ann. I lived in Cape Ann during summers when I was in collage in Worcester. Dove almost everyday when sea conditions were decent.

On Friday I did a bunch of fast ascents from 6-8m teaching CBL (controlled buoyant lifts). The main way students (and instructors TBH) mess this up is by adding too much gas and not dumping soon enough, this can lead to less control than ideal and I was seeing 14-18 m/minute worst case.

My Suunto did not lock me out.

Maybe you should just tell the student that you are not an expert with their computer.

Are you concerned that a fast ascent will mean the computer tells them not to dive for 24 hours? What do you usually teach students to do following a fast or uncontrolled ascent? “Go on O2 and monitor for symptoms.” or ”Get back on the horse!”?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom