Difference between MB levels and Gradient Factors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we use the still recommended 60/min ascent rate,.. (or slower)
Not just slower, but at the rate required by one's computer.
Put a G2 into gauge mode for them
BAD idea. They are OW students; you should be training them to use their computer, not to ignore it.
do you get where I am going with this?
Not really.
tudent looks at their G2 and the ascent rate is blinking red,
Yeah, they went too fast. The G2 manual says (p71) if they go too fast they may incur (by the G2 algorithm) a deco oblication. NOW there is a problem. So don't let them ascend too fast; on a CESA that is why you have hold of them and a line, right?
because we skip the mandatory G2 safety stop it goes into SOS mode.
Where does it say that in the manual?
G2 is a very popular computer and I'm seeing more and more of them
I go on 4-6 dive trips a year, around the world, and see maybe hundreds of other divers on these trips. I've never seen a G2.
there seems to be a general lack of knowledge in order to get the G2 to display what you want
ScubaPro knows best. If you don't like that, don't buy ScubaPro.
So I've never used a G2 before, just got one handed to me. So I have never gone thru the 15 foot range and waited 3 min with a G2. But as I read the manual, and listen to other owners,...the G2 will clearly go into SOS mode.
It does not asy that in the manual. It says if you miss a deco stop for more than 3 mins you go into SOS mode; a safety stop is not a deco top.
You used this in your reply: "the safety stop is theoretically optional."
Someone esle said that, not me.
Do you follow?
Barely. You don't like your G2 because it won't let you do certain things you want to do.
Tomorrow I'm going to do a couple of fast ascents to see what actually happens with this thing
You ought to try skipping a safety stop, too.
Miss the hardwired safety stop at 15 for 3 and it goes into SOS mode for 24 hours.
I don't think so.
The easiest thing is just to put it into gauge mode
No, the easiest thing to do is not to even carry it.
Your OW students are NOT diving to standards if you force their computers into gauge mode. Please be aware of what you are actually teaching them if you tell them to ignore their computers.

Oh, and reread the manual again, slowly. You seem to be missing a lot.

Got you. Yes, that's an issue if it does that. Did you ever contact SP's support concerning this matter?

SP has a new version of G2, the G2 Tek, I hope it doesn't have lockout feature.

Hahaha, it is oh shiit early where I am in Libya, 04:30 now.

You are in Boston? I lived in MA for a very long time, MA is "home" for me in the US. I graduated from WPI. A lot of my diving was in Cape Ann. I lived in Cape Ann during summers when I was in collage in Worcester. Dove almost everyday when sea conditions were decent.
Not sure if this is appropriate, but: as-salāmu ʿalaykum wa-raḥmatu -llāhi wa-barakātuhū

Glad to meet you.

Just wanted to thank the individual that PMd' me.

Yes reading the Scubapro manuals from the predecessor models was a great help. More than a great help, many of the features and symbols and how and what they mean make sense now. And yes I agree, reading the old stuff sure makes the G2 easier to understand.

Especially the subjects of: workload, respiration, the altitude symbol, MB levels, and a few of the display issues. Funny how all of this is NOT in the latest G2 manual BUT can be found in the archived Sol and Aladin, and Luna manuals. As well as the heart-rate 12 page separate manual.

I have no idea why Scubapro did this, I suspect it might have something to do with a progression, I mean if you purchased a Luna, you might be inclined to purchase the G2 when it came out, but I'm just guessing. I mean that would certianly reduce the size of the G2 manual,...BUT,.....Either way thanks for the info,....

Just wanted to thank the individual that PMd' me.

Yes reading the Scubapro manuals from the predecessor models was a great help. More than a great help, many of the features and symbols and how and what they mean make sense now. And yes I agree, reading the old stuff sure makes the G2 easier to understand.

Especially the subjects of: workload, respiration, the altitude symbol, MB levels, and a few of the display issues. Funny how all of this is NOT in the latest G2 manual BUT can be found in the archived Sol and Aladin, and Luna manuals. As well as the heart-rate 12 page separate manual.

I have no idea why Scubapro did this, I suspect it might have something to do with a progression, I mean if you purchased a Luna, you might be inclined to purchase the G2 when it came out, but I'm just guessing. I mean that would certianly reduce the size of the G2 manual,...BUT,.....Either way thanks for the info,....
Heartrate has been removed from the G2; maybe that's why it is not in the manual....

Heartrate has been removed from the G2; maybe that's why it is not in the manual....
I'm looking at MY G2 at the moment, and Heart-rate is clearly functional, present, and very much there.
Under the G2s' menu selection: 9.5.Workload: HR monitor: on / off Software version: 2.0

What some of us were seeking from Scubapro was if we were to NOT use the optional heart rate monitor belt, could we get the software to NOT show the HR display box as an option? I want to point out that the G2 is the first wrist computer to actually allow the input of a particular individuals physiological parameters and use these in its Deco calculations. You can input your own individual resting heart rate and exertion heart rates, based upon your age. This is a good thing. As is the SOS mode, in case you forget to make a safety stop.

With all due respect, I do believe I will get my G2 questions / answeres from someone who actually owns one, and is familiar with its proper usage through actually using one.

And as far as some of your attempts to flame others:
I clearly indicated as far as students: "My solution is going to be to have a discussion about putting it into gauge mode. I was looking for other users of the G2 to see about issues and solutions." Never mind the fact that this discussion was hijacked and belongs in the Equipment section in the first place,.... and never mind the fact that the original posted question is hardly a "basic Scuba" question in the first place,...

Perhaps yo are thinking of some other model? Since 2018, as shown on page 15 of B. R. Wienke • T. R. O’Leary s' book, there are even more models available, quite confusing keeping track of all of these.

Best.

I'm looking at MY G2 at the moment, and Heart-rate is clearly functional, present, and very much there.
Under the G2s' menu selection: 9.5.Workload: HR monitor: on / off Software version: 2.0

What some of us were seeking from Scubapro was if we were to NOT use the optional heart rate monitor belt, could we get the software to NOT show the HR display box as on option? I want to point out that the G2 is the first wrist computer to actually allow the input of a particular individuals physiological parameters and use these in its Deco calculations. You can input your own individual resting heart rate and exertion heart rates, based upon your age. This is a good thing. As is the SOS mode, in case you forget to make a safety stop.

With all due respect, I do believe I will get my G2 questions / answeres from someone who actually owns one, and is familiar with its proper usage through actually using one.

Perhaps yo are thinking of some other model? Since 2018, as shown on page 15 of B. R. Wienke • T. R. O’Leary s' book, there are even more models available, quite confusing keeping track of all of these.

Best.
Once you figure it out -- calling ScubaPro? -- are you still going to consider setting your students' computers into gauge mode?

I may be wrong.....I can't refind the information I was quoting.
I wouldn't use the words wrong, considering this is a very confusing subject. And this is a very complicated hypothesis, the whole DCS subject, with literally a hundred differing opinions. Throw in a multitude of agencies AND manufacturers all ramming "computers" into peoples heads instead of the basics and no wonder we have "discussions."

Bubble Model computers are not the right tool for multiple CESAs. Use a different computer.

In Richard Devanneys' part 4 on decompression he referes to dive computers that use the ZHL tpes of algorythms as Gas models, not bubble Models. Could you explain why then "using a different computer" is your opinion, important?

Seeing that according to Rich the G2 is in fact a Gas Model and not a bubble model as you have indicated?

Some links to Richard's Internet postings.

"Many technical divers plan their decompression dives using a gas content model such as ZHL-16b or c, with GFs added in."

Here is a link to an Internet store that I only post because the literature helps clear up some misconceptions some people here seem to have,.... ScubaPro G2

In Richard Devanneys' part 4 on decompression he referes to dive computers that use the ZHL tpes of algorythms as Gas models, not bubble Models.
No problem with gas models. You were going on and on about microbubbles, which are not part of gas models. Apparently SP uses some kind of proprietary bubble model on top of a gas model. Wrong tool for multiple CESAs, as you have discovered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom