Difference between MB levels and Gradient Factors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between MB Levels (found on Scubapro computers) and gradient factors? I have a Scubapro G2 running Buhlman ZHL-16 ADT MB and I'm unsure what the distinction is between the different programmable MB levels (for added conservatism) vs gradient factors (found on computers running non proprietary Buhlman ZHL-16). How do these compare with one another?

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between MB Levels (found on Scubapro computers) and gradient factors? I have a Scubapro G2 running Buhlman ZHL-16 ADT MB and I'm unsure what the distinction is between the different programmable MB levels (for added conservatism) vs gradient factors (found on computers running non proprietary Buhlman ZHL-16). How do these compare with one another?

I suggest contacting Scubapro's technical support, you can find their email on their website, and ask them about it. They are very helpful and will give you the correct information without guessing from people who don't know.

This thread may provide some insight.

It appears that Scubapro added their own tweaks to the Buhlmann ZHL-16 algorithm.

Nowadays ZHL-16 is most commonly implemented with Gradient Factors; i.e. is a well-known and understood algorithm that matches across brands of computers if diving with others.

Thus that G2 uses Buhlmann but with proprietary tweaks.

The missing TLAs**:
  • PDIS (Profile Dependent Intermediate Stop)
  • MB (MicroBubbles)

**Three Letter Acronyms (including extended TLAs)

It appears that Scubapro added their own tweaks to the Buhlmann ZHL-16 algorithm.

Nowadays ZHL-16 is most commonly implemented with Gradient Factors; i.e. is a well-known and understood algorithm that matches across brands of computers if diving with others.

Thus that G2 uses Buhlmann but with proprietary tweaks.

The missing TLAs**:
  • PDIS (Profile Dependent Intermediate Stop)
  • MB (dunno -- will edit if found out)

**Three Letter Acronyms (including extended TLAs)
MB = MicroBubbles

The proprietary adjustments of the Scubapro algorithm are poorly described and not documented to any acceptable degree. For the new Luna 2.0 they will offer Buhlmann ZH-L16C, a telling change of heart.
Not so -- the adjustments promote both "wellness“ and "goodness" . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom