Dangerous Hurricane Dean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich and I made it out of Cozumel this afternoon too, via Houston. We are now driving up 45 back to Dallas.

Glad to hear that everyone is taking this serious and leaving. I know that everyone we talked to on the island is very worried about the storm, and preparations are definitely going on.

The crazy thing is that as were were waiting we saw two planes unload passengers, one being the one we returned to Houston on. Each plan had about 30 passengers that arrived. It amazes me that people would still arrive when Dean is coming. Doesn't anyone look at the weather forcast before they travel? We have been in Cozumel for a week, but I would assume that it has been on the news here in the states. Even if people don't see the news, it amazes me that the airlines wouldn't warn them of the danger they are going into. As we came through customs the agent told us that she had been warning people today that she talked to. She said there was one guy that had flown in from Japan and was headed to Cozumel. She said she told him about the storm, but he was still going.

Our thoughts and prayers will definitely be with Christi and everyone else that lives there, along with all our friends in Grand Cayman who will be experiencing Dean very soon.

OOPS... Double posted.

Jinjer:
Rich and I made it out of Cozumel this afternoon too, via Houston. We are now driving up 45 back to Dallas.

Glad to hear that everyone is taking this serious and leaving. I know that everyone we talked to on the island is very worried about the storm, and preparations are definitely going on.

The crazy thing is that as were were waiting we saw two planes unload passengers, one being the one we returned to Houston on. Each plan had about 30 passengers that arrived. It amazes me that people would still arrive when Dean is coming. Doesn't anyone look at the weather forcast before they travel? We have been in Cozumel for a week, but I would assume that it has been on the news here in the states. Even if people don't see the news, it amazes me that the airlines wouldn't warn them of the danger they are going into. As we came through customs the agent told us that she had been warning people today that she talked to. She said there was one guy that had flown in from Japan and was headed to Cozumel. She said she told him about the storm, but he was still going.

Our thoughts and prayers will definitely be with Christi and everyone else that lives there, along with all our friends in Grand Cayman who will be experiencing Dean very soon.

Thank you Rich and Jinjer....it was really nice to meet the two (five :) of you...but I wish it would have been under different circumstances.

We made alot of progress today...both boats are out of the water, and we just finished boarding up my remaining windows, so I am now officially in a cave :) Tomorrow just the details remain...as well as actually tying the boats down...the most pressing thing was to get them out of the water while we could.

When I went to the airport today to pick up some friends who do have a home here (and who brought suitcases full of supplies back with them)...I also couldn't believe all the tourists getting off the plane. As one couple came thorugh, I actually told them they shouldn't have come considerinng that we are on target for a major hurricane...the guy just laughed....aaaggghhhh! The other thing I was APPALLED at was that the time share sharks were still there trying to sell people time share presentations and tours...KNOWING that there will be no tourism services until after the storm passes.

Here's hoping that a miracle happens overnight and that Dean is gone like magic when we wake up in the morning!

Sweet dreams everyone!

georoc01:
Well, I left Cozumel today. We scrambled and grabbed some of the last airline tickets available out of cozumel prior to the storm hitting.

At Casa Del Mar, they had passed out a notice that the island was on a tropical storm watch. Dive Paradise was pulling their boats, and our dive op had left one boat in for the remaining divers. Our feeling was no matter what happens, leaving the hotel personnel to handle their own families rather than taking care of us in a state of emergency seemed to be the prudent thing to do.

Good luck to the residents,may the storm stay to the north of you.
Glad you and most of the others got out okay today. Sorry it went to caca, but we gave it our best shot. Now it's time to get out of the way. :wink:

It's my understanding that the Cayman's shut down to tourists.

Jackie:
It's my understanding that the Cayman's shut down to tourists.

I guess that is what needs to happen before the airlines stop bringing people onto the island. I know a friend in Grand Cayman emailed and indicated that there were extra flights to get people off the island.

I wish Cozumel would shut down the island to tourists. That would keep those who don't understand how dangerous it could be from going there.

Jinjer:
I guess that is what needs to happen before the airlines stop bringing people onto the island. I know a friend in Grand Cayman emailed and indicated that there were extra flights to get people off the island.

I wish Cozumel would shut down the island to tourists. That would keep those who don't understand how dangerous it could be from going there.
That would seem like an excellent idea, but - I have never been a politician, don't know how well it'd work out at reelection day...?

Christi:
Thank you Rich and Jinjer....it was really nice to meet the two (five :) of you...but I wish it would have been under different circumstances.

We made alot of progress today...both boats are out of the water, and we just finished boarding up my remaining windows, so I am now officially in a cave :) Tomorrow just the details remain...as well as actually tying the boats down...the most pressing thing was to get them out of the water while we could.

When I went to the airport today to pick up some friends who do have a home here (and who brought suitcases full of supplies back with them)...I also couldn't believe all the tourists getting off the plane. As one couple came thorugh, I actually told them they shouldn't have come considerinng that we are on target for a major hurricane...the guy just laughed....aaaggghhhh! The other thing I was APPALLED at was that the time share sharks were still there trying to sell people time share presentations and tours...KNOWING that there will be no tourism services until after the storm passes.

Here's hoping that a miracle happens overnight and that Dean is gone like magic when we wake up in the morning!

Sweet dreams everyone!

Christi - We enjoyed meeting you today too. Next time we will buy you a taco. :)

Glad to hear you made good progress today getting things ready to go. It was good to see that people on the island are taking things serious there and getting everything ready for the storm. I know the saws and hammers were going most on the home next to where we were staying most of the night last night. By morning, they appeared to be all boarded up.

I am with you Christi. It would be wonderful to wake up and see that Dean had disappeared. But until it doesn, our thoughts and prayers will be with everyone affected by Dean.

As of 6:00 AM Sunday, the forecast track has it going slightly south of Cozumel. This seems to be the most significant shift in the last few days.

However, lets not let our guard down as per the NWS Tropical Weather Discussion:

...WE HAVE SHIFTED THE
OFFICIAL FORECAST TRACK SLIGHTLY SOUTHWARD IN THE LATTER PART OF
THE PERIOD...BUT NOT AS FAR SOUTH AS SHOWN BY THE GFS...U.K. MET.
AND ECMWF MODELS.

IT IS IMPERATIVE NOT TO FOCUS ON THE EXACT FORECAST TRACK.
CONSIDERING THE MARGIN OF ERROR OF NHC PREDICTIONS...THE CORE OF
THIS LARGE HURRICANE COULD EASILY BE 30-50 N MI ON EITHER SIDE OF
THE FORECAST TRACK DURING THE NEXT 12 HOURS OR SO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom