Dangerous Hurricane Dean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good luck guys and gals. I am currently scheduled to port out of Galveston on 8/25. Basically several days after you all are hit. We were to port in Coz on monday the 27th. It sounds as if this is not likely. God Bless you folks and I will hope for the best.

Christi:
Don, don't try to be a Cowboy. You have absolutely no reason to be here...riding this out won't warrant "bragging rights." YOU have a choice, get out of here. Trust me, this is NOT going to be fun!

Spoken by someone who has gray matter in their skull.
:confused: :popcorn: :dork2:

Hola everyone,

I have a few thoughts to share, and I apologize now if anyone is offended...but please understand, that the anxiety level and stress factor among the locals has risen exponentially overnight...when we woke to see the latest status of Dean. Although Dean was upgraded to a category 4 last night, waking this morning to find ALL of the models bringing Dean right over us as a Cat 5 brings back some memories of how Wilma went from a TS to a Cat 5 overnight. And we are all STILL painfully aware of the nightmare living thorough Wilma was...like it was yesterday.

While I don’t think (and pray with everything I possibly have) that we won’t go through another storm like Wilma, it appears that Dean is in fact going to be a monster storm for Cozumel (and Jamaica and Caymen before it gets to us). It has the potential of being stronger than Wilma, but at least it is moving much faster than Wilma ever did. One thing I can say is the island as a whole does seem to be more prepared and more organized with this storm.

With Wilma still fresh in our minds, naturally, there are a lot of emotions going through the islanders minds. With all of this said, I have a very sincere request for the visitors on the island right now, and please don’t take offense. PLEASE DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET OFF THE ISLAND. You have a choice and a safe place to go to…DO IT!

Some of you may think, it will be a new “adventure,” or you may think you can help, which is very nice…but the truth is that you will be more of a burden than help during and after the storm. You will using limited resources and keeping hotel employees from being able to go home to be with their families. Trust me when I say that the islanders have enough on their hands than to have to worry about guests on top of it…it’s just an added stress to an already traumatic and stressful situation. It’s going to be tough, and we are preparing for the worst, but as Gordon said… there will be life after Dean….just as there was life after Wilma. We’ll clean-up, rebuild, and do whatever it takes to get back on our feet…so please do what you can now to help us. If you do not live on the island, please leave while you still can.

As far as preparations go, I do feel that we are already more prepared than we were for Wilma, but there are still details to take care of. Most windows are already boarded up, one boat is already out of the water, and supplies have been purchased. I especially want to thank my divers that are here right now for their patience and understanding of our need to make these preparations to protect ourselves. We had to cancel all dives after this morning to allow the crew time to prepare.

Now, time to get back to the preparations.

Thank you Christi – Very good advice.
I pray all the people on Cozumel and the mainland will be safe and the damage minimal.

Dave

Having been run over by Hurricane Hugo in 1989 myself, (still seems like yesterday) my thoughts and prayers are with everyone there. Just remember to do what ever it takes to make yourself safe. You can buy new stuff and rebuild buildings later. Please let us know you are safe as soon as you can after the storm.

Christi:
Hola everyone,

I have a few thoughts to share, and I apologize now if anyone is offended...but please understand, that the anxiety level and stress factor among the locals has risen exponentially overnight...when we woke to see the latest status of Dean. Although Dean was upgraded to a category 4 last night, waking this morning to find ALL of the models bringing Dean right over us as a Cat 5 brings back some memories of how Wilma went from a TS to a Cat 5 overnight. And we are all STILL painfully aware of the nightmare living thorough Wilma was...like it was yesterday.

While I don’t think (and pray with everything I possibly have) that we won’t go through another storm like Wilma, it appears that Dean is in fact going to be a monster storm for Cozumel (and Jamaica and Caymen before it gets to us). It has the potential of being stronger than Wilma, but at least it is moving much faster than Wilma ever did. One thing I can say is the island as a whole does seem to be more prepared and more organized with this storm.

With Wilma still fresh in our minds, naturally, there are a lot of emotions going through the islanders minds. With all of this said, I have a very sincere request for the visitors on the island right now, and please don’t take offense. PLEASE DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET OFF THE ISLAND. You have a choice and a safe place to go to…DO IT!

Some of you may think, it will be a new “adventure,” or you may think you can help, which is very nice…but the truth is that you will be more of a burden than help during and after the storm. You will using limited resources and keeping hotel employees from being able to go home to be with their families. Trust me when I say that the islanders have enough on their hands than to have to worry about guests on top of it…it’s just an added stress to an already traumatic and stressful situation. It’s going to be tough, and we are preparing for the worst, but as Gordon said… there will be life after Dean….just as there was life after Wilma. We’ll clean-up, rebuild, and do whatever it takes to get back on our feet…so please do what you can now to help us. If you do not live on the island, please leave while you still can.

As far as preparations go, I do feel that we are already more prepared than we were for Wilma, but there are still details to take care of. Most windows are already boarded up, one boat is already out of the water, and supplies have been purchased. I especially want to thank my divers that are here right now for their patience and understanding of our need to make these preparations to protect ourselves. We had to cancel all dives after this morning to allow the crew time to prepare.

Now, time to get back to the preparations.

Christi, I hate that you guys are going through this!!! If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. I know it has happened yet and I hope it doesn't hit with as much force as they are saying. Plus, I'm hoping it won't stall over like Wilma did. Stay safe and prep to the best you can.

How about a nice hot cup of Get the ******* out? (There's the short version). For people new to island hurricanes, tie down whatever you can, don't worry about the rest, and try to hunker down in a place without any glass windows on as high a ground as possible as far inland as possible; this is the short version on that...make sure you take care of any business/personal records (best thing is if you can email everything to yourself in a zip file or something like that)...have food/water for a minimum of 10 days...again, anyone on island that has the option to get off the island (and you always do have that) you should be seriously considering it...worst case scenario is that you are wrong and spent some extra money...

For anyone that thinks that this is some sort of adventure and a story to regale their friends with for years to come, no one will be impressed by anything but your stupidity and selfishness. There has been plenty of warning to get out. The people have enough to do without having to put up with visitors that didn't have the mental fire power to move out of the path of a hurricane.
It's really fun when there is no electricity for endless periods of time. No refrigeration, no lights, no fans no a/c, no phone, no internet. And the smell of sewage is really something else... . And for the handful of bad players on the island, an opportunity to do a bit of looting adds to the excitement.
Waiting at the airport for days on end - again, no a/c or food- for that flight out-is another thrill. Since there is no communications possible there is no alternative but to park there and wait.

ggunn:
The 11 AM EDT advisory shows it drifting a little more northward. Everyone lean to the right!
this makes a lot of sense in so many ways :D

Christi:
Some of you may think, it will be a new “adventure,” or you may think you can help, which is very nice…but the truth is that you will be more of a burden than help during and after the storm. You will using limited resources...

2 gallons of water a day per person. If a vacationer is stuck there for a week that's 14 gallons of water from finite resources on the island. You can stock up prior to the hurricane, but that just eats into the amount which is available for the locals.

Responsible thing to do is leave. One way or another you hurt other people if you stay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom