Dangerous Hurricane Dean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

man , what a mess that mus be over there with everyone trying to get out. sure feel bad for you Don. exaust all options out of Cancun and Coz airport. .the last thing they want is a flying american tourist so theyll gladly provide shelter for you ;If all fails I would spend the Hurricane in cancun airport OFF THE ISLAND. good luck

Thanks y'all. Good points to consider. I know the Coz area better, this hotel in particular - hesitant to go where I don't know things. Afraid of flooding on mainland.

Edit....
I know that lots of people currently in Akumal, Aventuras and Tulum are making plans to head that way as they've already been notified by their condo and villa managers that they will need to vacate by Sunday morning.
That make possibilities sound bad, as the town is not a big - how much hotel space could they have. But will look into it in the morn.

Better yet, spend your time seeing if you can get a flight out of Coz or even Cancun. That would be your best plan.
Mexico offices closed until tomorrow. Going to try Houston...

Edit: Got Houston on the phone. They have seats available out Monday, but - what's the liklihood they will actually fly in with the storm coming in that afternoon...?

Guess I'll book it and try...!!

Hurricane Dean is already very strong, I think that there will be other hurricanes violent this year.

BKP:
No, don't think F5 tornado (which is 216 mph winds to 318).
160 mph winds are certainly not a summer breeze, however, a Category 5 hurricane and F5 tornado wind speeds are not equivalent. Additionally, there's no reason to believe a 30 foot storm surge is imminent (which is twice a typical Category 5 surge). Additionally, there's no reason to believe it will definitely intensify into a Cat 5, and then hit Coz.

Hurricanes weaken as easily as they strengthen. They change course unexpectedly. The only constant about hurricanes is their lack of one.

Prepare for a lousy day, but don't assume the worst...

Thanks for the corrections. However, there is certainly a reason to believe that a category 5 will hit close to Coz, as that is what the National Hurricane Centre is forecasting:

at200704_5day.gif

US Airways flight out of Cozumel to Charlotte, NC today (Saturday) has seats available (currently 33 seats left).. Don, and others.. PLEASE consider this an option.. One way to DFW is about $300 through this flight after taxes..

Coach: $235

First: $1135
2:15 PM
Cozumel, Mexico 11:55 PM
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (Dallas/Fort Worth) 1236 / 1865
Stops: CLT
9 h 40

North Carolina. That is the Hub from US Airways.

Please all friends and fellow divers.....Don't risk it, leave if you can......I wanna be able to dive with the Dandy Don someday. Don't cowboy up on us now....

if you can't fly out wouldn't you be able to rent a car on the mainland and start driving? you'll easily make it to Campeche or so on the other side of the yucatan and further south. things there should not be too bad and getting a room is probably not very difficult.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom