Dangerous Hurricane Dean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The latest wind swath models on http://www.crownweather.com/tropical.html show Dean reaching Cat 5 strength tomorrow just as it slams into Jamaica, and decreasing to Cat 3 by the time it reaches the Yucatan. It shows Cozumel in the 50 knot band, with the center going directly over Cancun as Cat 3. Bad news for Cancun and much worse news for Jamaica, somewhat good for Cozumel. It's an ill wind...

We are now in the airport and we will be out of here in the next couple of hours.
Good to hear. We left during one of the 90's Mississippi hurricanes. That night we saw the pool from our hotel in an aerial shot. But there was no water in it, the hotel had pushed it all out when it collapsed into it...

I really hope anyone on Cozumel during the next few days is safe, and that the island is not devastated by this storm. As of today, it does look pretty dauntng but it's still too early to know how bad it will be.

I also hope future posters on this thread can back off from their armchair criticism of those tourists currently on the island, especially those who seem to smugly know when everyone should and should not cancel a trip due to uncertain weather threats. Jeesh...

I was in Cozumel about 6 months after Wilma, and know how hard people on the island worked to get things back into shape. I wish all in the storm's path safety and luck. Do governments of affected or threatened islands/coasts shut down flights, or is it in part up to the airlines?

****************** Moderator Post *******************
Please refrain from the name calling and finger pointing.
Your friendly moderator

Dave

My sister and I are booked for Cayman Brac next month. I took out my trip insurance LAST NIGHT. I too will be reading the fine print. More importantly I hope the gods above will spare most of humanity, fishes and reefs throughout the Carribean.

Here's hoping and prayin. Bless all you folks out there in Deans path.

Well, I left Cozumel today. We scrambled and grabbed some of the last airline tickets available out of cozumel prior to the storm hitting.

At Casa Del Mar, they had passed out a notice that the island was on a tropical storm watch. Dive Paradise was pulling their boats, and our dive op had left one boat in for the remaining divers. Our feeling was no matter what happens, leaving the hotel personnel to handle their own families rather than taking care of us in a state of emergency seemed to be the prudent thing to do.

Good luck to the residents,may the storm stay to the north of you.

Back
Top Bottom