Dangerous Hurricane Dean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would seem like just common sense to shut down the affected areas to incoming tourists. I can't imagine the Mex Gov doing such a smart thing, they would have to be proactive not reactive. Christi, please be careful, make sure your guys and gals don't take any chances. If you need help please please please, post or email us on the board when you are able. If there is anything we can do, you know we will try.
I admire your courage in keeping your business going in such a place of beauty and hazard. I have read how hard you worked after the last big one hit to make it a go again, you are a hero. Here's to the hope it goes south. I'm going to dive with you some day!!!!!

ckofabq:
Christi, you're a class act.
Heh .. you took those very words right from my mouth :)
ckofabq:
Jane and I know how you anguished over so many people's fates during Wilma, ours included.
yes, I remember quite well her harrowing tails, and good deeds done, posted here
ckofabq:
We're sending out all the positive energy we can to move that track out of your way- and sparing anyone such misery....
CK-
And I as well
... stay safe my friend

Someday I will to dive with you .. it would be a privialge

DB

Hopefully Christi will post a link after the storm passes...like the one after Wilma where we can donate money....that will be the most help of all....people will be out of work....and of course they all have families.....let's hope that there will not be a need for it.....

It is my understanding hat Continental and American are bringing in an extra plane or two today and/or tomorrow to evacuate tourists. Yesterday was a ovoluntary evacuation, but rumor has it that a decision will be made today about a mandatory evacuation of all tourists and those who are not full time residents of the island. I'll update when I know more about this.

One thing I may have failed to mention is how impressed I am with the local government and their organization efforts this time around. We ALL learned alot from Wilma and we don't take chances anymore.

I am glad to hear that American and Continental are sending extra planes now. When Rich and I realized on Thursday that we needed to leave before our scheduled Monday departure I called American to see if they would send additional planes on the weekend and we were told NO. Sounds like they finally got smart. Of course if they would have stopped people from arriving sooner, they wouldn't have as many people to evacuate.

Christi:
It is my understanding hat Continental and American are bringing in an extra plane or two today and/or tomorrow to evacuate tourists. Yesterday was a ovoluntary evacuation, but rumor has it that a decision will be made today about a mandatory evacuation of all tourists and those who are not full time residents of the island. I'll update when I know more about this.

One thing I may have failed to mention is how impressed I am with the local government and their organization efforts this time around. We ALL learned alot from Wilma and we don't take chances anymore.
Some people just don't get it

I had a call yesterday afternoon from my buddy, Jeremy Anschel, who owns Living Underwater. He was updating me on all the things he had been doing to prepare for the storm. He had just gotten his dive boat in drydock yesterday morning. His crew had gotten more fuel for the generator and his wife had been buying extra propane, water and food.

He had secured his home and mine as well. He and his wife and children along with his boat captain, 1st mate and their families will all be staying at our house since it's on higher ground and has a whole house generator just in case the island is out of power for a while.

He tells me that yesterday afternoon about 3 p.m. he gets a call from two divers that just arrived on Cozumel and are calling him to arrange for diving for Sunday and Monday.

He said he told them that no one was diving and that everyone that could had gotten their boats out of the water. He asked them if they had been looking at the weather and they told him that they figured that they would get a couple of days of diving in before the storm hit.

Let's see, boat's out of the water, shop is secured, plywood and storm shutters in place, everything that can be done is being done and these crazy people have just arrived and are upset that he is not diving on Sunday and Monday. They do not have a clue what they're in for. Either a direct or indirect hit from a Cat 3 to 5 hurricane.
No guaranteed shelter, no food and water. These people were totally unprepared for what they are about to face.

Others are working hard to find a way off the island and these people are upset that their vacation plans have been disrupted. Doubtful they will be able to get off the island unless it turns into a mandatory evacuation. I bet after a week they'll be looking forward to getting back home.

parrotheaddiver:
Hopefully Christi will post a link after the storm passes...like the one after Wilma where we can donate money....that will be the most help of all....people will be out of work....and of course they all have families.....let's hope that there will not be a need for it.....
Point well made! It's interesting the way you can watch the devastation caused by natural disasters (or the impending devastation in this case) on the weather channel or CNN and although you feel deeply for the people who are affected, you might not necessarily feel compelled to get involved. Then, you travel and are fortunate enough to meet extraordinary people who you come to respect and care about a great deal, like Christi and her team. Now, you watch the same footage with more angst, more emotion, and you feel very compelled to be there for them and with them as they struggle. However, as past posts have stated, physically being there with them, in reality, is not really helpful.
Being there for them in the aftermath is what truly matters at this juncture.
I too am praying the storm spares our friends in Cozumel from the hardships brought by Wilma, and would like to help after the fact if need be.:heart:

Jim Baldwin:

I had a call yesterday afternoon from my buddy, Jeremy Anschel, who owns Living Underwater. He was updating me on all the things he had been doing to prepare for the storm. He had just gotten his dive boat in drydock yesterday morning. His crew had gotten more fuel for the generator and his wife had been buying extra propane, water and food.

He had secured his home and mine as well. He and his wife and children along with his boat captain, 1st mate and their families will all be staying at our house since it's on higher ground and has a whole house generator just in case the island is out of power for a while.

He tells me that yesterday afternoon about 3 p.m. he gets a call from two divers that just arrived on Cozumel and are calling him to arrange for diving for Sunday and Monday.

He said he told them that no one was diving and that everyone that could had gotten their boats out of the water. He asked them if they had been looking at the weather and they told him that they figured that they would get a couple of days of diving in before the storm hit.

Let's see, boat's out of the water, shop is secured, plywood and storm shutters in place, everything that can be done is being done and these crazy people have just arrived and are upset that he is not diving on Sunday and Monday. They do not have a clue what they're in for. Either a direct or indirect hit from a Cat 3 to 5 hurricane.
No guaranteed shelter, no food and water. These people were totally unprepared for what they are about to face.

Others are working hard to find a way off the island and these people are upset that their vacation plans have been disrupted. Doubtful they will be able to get off the island unless it turns into a mandatory evacuation. I bet after a week they'll be looking forward to getting back home.

It does really just boggle the mind doesn't it.. Man hole covers being welded shut, hotels boarded up, shops closed, Hey.. LETS GO DIVING! They never close! DUH :confused:

Jim Baldwin:

I wonder if those are the same people that called me...haha! It was actually a group of 4 that called me and said:

Diver: "We got here today and found out that our dive shop is cancelling dives for the rest of the weekend so we're trying to find another shop."

Me: "Well, why do you think they cancelled the diving?"

Diver: "They said because a hurricane is coming on Tuesday. That's still 3 days away though."

Me: "You obviously have no idea what a hurricane is or what kind of preparations are necessary. Right now, everyone's priority is to protect their families, homes, and businesses becaue if we don't we will have absolutely nothing to come back to. You should not have even come considering that we are trying to get tourists OFF the island. I suggest you go back to the airport or get on the phone and figur out a way out of here. The best case is that we won't have any diving until Thursday or Friday...and the worst case isn't worth discussing."

Diver: "Is ANYONE still diving? We came here to dive not to sit around."

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

susan6868:
Point well made! It's interesting the way you can watch the devastation caused by natural disasters (or the impending devastation in this case) on the weather channel or CNN and although you feel deeply for the people who are affected, you might not necessarily feel compelled to get involved. Then, you travel and are fortunate enough to meet extraordinary people who you come to respect and care about a great deal, like Christi and her team. Now, you watch the same footage with more angst, more emotion, and you feel very compelled to be there for them and with them as they struggle. However, as past posts have stated, physically being there with them, in reality, is not really helpful.
Being there for them in the aftermath is what truly matters at this juncture.
I too am praying the storm spares our friends in Cozumel from the hardships brought by Wilma, and would like to help after the fact if need be.:heart:

I'm with you.. We have friends in Cozumel and in Grand Cayman and it is a real awakening to see what they have to go through and we really feel for them and want to do what we can to help but yet not hinder them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom