Dangerous Hurricane Dean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see we have an over-aggressive moderator policing this thread. Why don't you actually READ what it is you're deleting (or get a dictionary to understand the words used) before you just cut people's contributions? I will repeat:

In this time, some of those in this thread should tone down the vitriol (that means "argumentative" in an extreme way: it's not some kind of sex act) as and against those poeple on island in Cozumel. Additionally, I defended those with no choice because it is a hard decision to make especially when the airlines, hotels and even some dive providers won't let you cancel or rebook without penalty until it is a 100% strike probability, which by then its USUALLY too late or you are already there...

Anyway, things have gone from bad to worse from yesterday's forecast, and it looks like a direct hit at this point...HUNKER DOWN FOLKS!!!!

TheRedHead:
...Everyone pitched in. We just sit around and whine about the government not doing everything for us. We should be ashamed. :shakehead:

Suggest: "New Orleans Syndrome"

Many WV electrical power workers/engineers continue to work incredible amounts of overtime in New Orleans. I spoke recently to an electrical engineer who reported that the local residents simply refuse to work/be trained even at very high wages. He was making another 2 week trip to the Big Easy.

Untold billions of rebuilding/cleanup tax dollars have been poured into New Orleans.

New Orleans is more of an exception than the rule for the United States.

:coffee:

"Diver: "We got here today and found out that our dive shop is cancelling dives for the rest of the weekend so we're trying to find another shop."

Me: "Well, why do you think they cancelled the diving?"

Diver: "They said because a hurricane is coming on Tuesday. That's still 3 days away though."

Just like SCUBA, we choose our level of risk. Individual choice; some people see the masses leaving, and decide they choose to stay and dive, and live with the consequences.

When Armageddon arrives I hope I'm 80 feet deep!

I've been in or very near the center of 8 typhoons/hurricanes. One, a super typhoon, or the equivalent of a Cat 5 in Cebu, Philippines (Ruping, 1989 or 90). It's a totally different animal than a 3 or 4. Over 20 ships were capsized in the harbor...SHIPS...not small boats. And the harbor was protected from waves. The wind blew them over. If you have time, get out of Coz.

tonka97:
Just like SCUBA, we choose our level of risk. Individual choice; some people see the masses leaving, and decide they choose to stay and dive, and live with the consequences.

This is more than a personal choice of how much risk people are willing to take...it's about respect and consideration. These divers are nothing but selfish. Forget that people need to prepare their homes and businesses for the impending storm..."this is our vacation and we want to dive!" Unbelievable!

Fortunately, they don't HAVE a choice because NO ONE is diving until this thing is over.

Trust me, we wish we were taking people diving as well...this isn't OUR (spekaing for all dive ops and tour providers) choice either!

cowboyneal:
Anyway, things have gone from bad to worse from yesterday's forecast, and it looks like a direct hit at this point...HUNKER DOWN FOLKS!!!!

Actually, it looks better this morning than it did yesterday! The models all showed a direct hit on us yesterday, today the models are in agreement that it will pass south of us...which is still going to pound us...but at least not a direct hit. Obviously, this is still subject to change 1000 times before it actually hits.

Here are this morning's models.

at200704_model.gif

084525.shtml

All Jamaica, the Caymans, the Yucatan & the Tampico area are in my prayers as well as Cozumel. This is a nasty storm.
Rick

TheRedHead:
The people here wouldn't do what the people of Coz did after Wilma. I saw a video of the residents walking down the streets pushing brooms. Everyone pitched in. We just sit around and whine about the government not doing everything for us. We should be ashamed. :shakehead:

Exactly.. I agree.

TheRedHead:
The people here wouldn't do what the people of Coz did after Wilma. I saw a video of the residents walking down the streets pushing brooms. Everyone pitched in. We just sit around and whine about the government not doing everything for us. We should be ashamed.
shakehead.gif

rjsimp:
Exactly.. I agree.
That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on Scubaboard. The people of this country (outside the few the newspukes found who were whining - and you know where they all were) did hit the streets with brooms and shovels and chain saws and help for their neighbors. The entire Southeast opened their doors to the displaced. More money and help came from independent churches and other charitable organizations and donations from people across the country than all government aid combined. The Governor of Mississippi put it best - "When something like this happens, we cry, then we sweat and rebuild."
You have insulted all those who bent their backs and opened their wallets to help the victims of storms here, including the victims themselves, the vast majority of them that busted their tails to help themselves and their neighbors (and still are, by the way) and we don't appreciate it one bit.
And we are not ashamed, despite the mainstream media's efforts to paint a false face on reality.
Not only that, but after a disaster in Mexico, no other country on earth will show up with more aid to the victims than we will. It's who we are, and those who try to paint us otherwise have been duped.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom