Dangerous Hurricane Dean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotheaddiver:
Hopefully Christi will post a link after the storm passes...like the one after Wilma where we can donate money....that will be the most help of all....people will be out of work....and of course they all have families.....let's hope that there will not be a need for it.....

I actually didn't post that. It was Johnoly. He started that fund and asked me to be the administrator. After Emily is was easy becaus we didn't have so much damage and it was easy to know who needed it the most. After Wilma....it was a daunting task.

My recommendation is that if anyone wants to help financially...help your dive shop directly in whatever way you can. I know no one will ask for help or donations.

Christi:
I wonder if those are the same people that called me...haha! It was actually a group of 4 that called me and said:

Diver: "We got here today and found out that our dive shop is cancelling dives for the rest of the weekend so we're trying to find another shop."

Me: "Well, why do you think they cancelled the diving?"

Diver: "They said because a hurricane is coming on Tuesday. That's still 3 days away though."

Me: "You obviously have no idea what a hurricane is or what kind of preparations are necessary. Right now, everyone's priority is to protect their families, homes, and businesses becaue if we don't we will have absolutely nothing to come back to. You should not have even come considering that we are trying to get tourists OFF the island. I suggest you go back to the airport or get on the phone and figur out a way out of here. The best case is that we won't have any diving until Thursday or Friday...and the worst case isn't worth discussing."

Diver: "Is ANYONE still diving? We came here to dive not to sit around."

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

It never ceases to amaze me how selfish and clueless people can be, especially in these types of situations.

CheddarChick:
It would seem like just common sense to shut down the affected areas to incoming tourists. I can't imagine the Mex Gov doing such a smart thing, they would have to be proactive not reactive.
yeah right, aren't we lucky that we have such a smart government. admired the world over. FEMA is really the benchmark for handling hurricanes.

docmartin:
yeah right, aren't we lucky that we have such a smart government. admired the world over. FEMA is really the benchmark for handling hurricanes.

The real issue here is the airlines and the travelers IMHO.. They knew the storm was coming, they also knew they were going to have to make provisions for tourists or leave them high and dry, yet the all mighty dollar won and they continued to fly people to the area that had no business being there as late as yesterday afternoon.

Yes, it would have been nice to have the Mexican government force the issue, but there are many levels of responsibility starting with the traveler.

Oh.. and BTW.. FEMA doesn't really handle evacuations or make the call when to evacuate.. they handle putting the pieces back together again for the people displaced by emergencies.

Christi:
Diver: "Is ANYONE still diving? We came here to dive not to sit around."

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Whaaaaaaa, they didn't come there just to sit around? Well I say hand them a hammer and some plywood.....................:letsparty:

docmartin:

The people here wouldn't do what the people of Coz did after Wilma. I saw a video of the residents walking down the streets pushing brooms. Everyone pitched in. We just sit around and whine about the government not doing everything for us. We should be ashamed. :shakehead:

I see the path projection has shifted a bit more south this morning.....right at Cozumel again. I've watched these for the last few years and it seems they take an westward turn after a N west course for a while as they "bounce" off Jamaica. Once they pass it, they turn more north again. But if I was in Coz right now, I'd be looking to get out of there. It's hard to leave behind posessions in the wake of one with all the potential looting, but a cat 5....God be with you.

TheRedHead:
The people here wouldn't do what the people of Coz did after Wilma. I saw a video of the residents walking down the streets pushing brooms. Everyone pitched in. We just sit around and whine about the government not doing everything for us. We should be ashamed. :shakehead:

You are exactly right. That is the same mentality that was exhibited yesterday by the divers that were calling shops yesterday irritated about the fact that they couldn't dive.

Back
Top Bottom