Dacor Viper America issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhelmuth:
Take the time to try-out whatever you buy so you'll know it's right for you. It either breaths nicely or not! If you spend the 1st few days testing it" any shop should be happy to exchange or make it right (but not after quite some time has passed).

The frustrating thing is, I wanted to try it out in the pool ASAP after purchase, but the BC turned out to be too big for me even with a 7mm wetsuit, once weights and tank were attached. 12 weeks later I still didn't have a BC and started getting anxious about this because I was going on a diving vacation in March (yeah, did my open water cert in Dec and got so hooked I booked another weeks diving vacation for March!). I didn't realise the reg was not working right until 3 months or so after I'd bought it because it had not been in the water until then. In the end I got a refund on the BC in March and ordered another (Scubapro Ladyhawk - I love it) from another store, which arrived in only 2 days!

AAARGH!!!!

Gallus-Allus:
I am really frustrated about this. As with ski gear, the same sort of bull gets spouted and it is hard to make good buying decisions unless you really know your way around the gear.

What do you think I should get, preferably so I don't have to change my first stage?

Apeks are great regs. I have the atx 50 and absolutely love it, but I do not know if or how it would work on a viper first stage. There are many Apeks junkies on this board so I am sure that if you started another thread about using the Apeks (or another 2nd stage) with the viper first stage they could answer the question.

I would also highly recommend aqualung regs.

BTW I would not give that dive shop the satisfaction of filling my tanks.

waterwraith:
Apeks are great regs. I have the atx 50 and absolutely love it, but I do not know if or how it would work on a viper first stage. There are many Apeks junkies on this board so I am sure that if you started another thread about using the Apeks (or another 2nd stage) with the viper first stage they could answer the question.

I would also highly recommend aqualung regs.

BTW I would not give that dive shop the satisfaction of filling my tanks.

Think I will start another thread....

For the purposes of this thread, intermediate pressure on a reg (usually around 135psi +-) is the same for all regs. I KNOW what some people are saying but no flaming, for the question asked here, it is the same.

I would not spend the $ for an Apeks 2nd stage. Yes, they are an outstanding reg but for where your at right now in diving, Go with a Genesis or a Sherwood till you can shake out all the bugs and learning curves. They are a very sturdy reg and will offer some easy breathing for you as well, you might even stay with it. By then you will have a clearer understanding of what your demands are.

If you have no intrest in going deeper than 40-50 feet or have no desire for cold water diving or do not have an intrest in Nitrox etc then this opens up the field considerably.

Sorry to hear that your LDS is treating you this way. Unfortunately many people (even those not in the dive industry) have forgotten what it takes to build/maintain a business. Not sure what to tell you about your new Dacor except to maybe use it as an Octo.

mikswi:
For the purposes of this thread, intermediate pressure on a reg (usually around 135psi +-) is the same for all regs. I KNOW what some people are saying but no flaming, for the question asked here, it is the same.

I would not spend the $ for an Apeks 2nd stage. Yes, they are an outstanding reg but for where your at right now in diving, Go with a Genesis or a Sherwood till you can shake out all the bugs and learning curves. They are a very sturdy reg and will offer some easy breathing for you as well, you might even stay with it. By then you will have a clearer understanding of what your demands are.

If you have no intrest in going deeper than 40-50 feet or have no desire for cold water diving or do not have an intrest in Nitrox etc then this opens up the field considerably.

Sorry to hear that your LDS is treating you this way. Unfortunately many people (even those not in the dive industry) have forgotten what it takes to build/maintain a business. Not sure what to tell you about your new Dacor except to maybe use it as an Octo.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Dacor Vipers, I've only used them a couple of times but found that I didn't care for teh way they breathe, however, they're not really that bad. If your octo breathes way better than nyour primary, then I suspect something is wrong and you should send it back to Dacor.

If you are determined to buy a new reg, i don't think I agree with buying a cheaper reg that you will probably replace someday, replacing a reg over and over again, is not, in my opinion, more economical than buying a good reg in the first place. I think for regulator purchases, you should decide ahead of time what the most you can spend is, then buy the best reg that you can afford. I like Apeks and Aqualung, I don't think you can go wrong with either. But again, I think you should send your Viper back to Dacor and have them make it right.

mikswi:

Given where I live (Ottawa, Canada) I am likely to venture out to dive when its cold, even if its only a few times a year. And I really enjoyed my deep dives in Cozumel so its definitely more of that for me in November... does this change my buying decision? Right now I'm a bit freaked out by the way my reg is behaving and don't feel confident in doing anything other than easy shallow dives until it is fixed or gone.

The other recommendation was the Genesis GS2000. One of my dive buddies has one and I'll ask to borrow it for a dive in the near future to see if I like it. However I have DIN so would have to use it with one of his big Al tanks (ugh) or attach it to my first stage. (I have 80 l DIN steel tanks). Its never simple, is it?

Gallus-Allus:
Given where I live (Ottawa, Canada) I am likely to venture out to dive when its cold, even if its only a few times a year. And I really enjoyed my deep dives in Cozumel so its definitely more of that for me in November... does this change my buying decision? Right now I'm a bit freaked out by the way my reg is behaving and don't feel confident in doing anything other than easy shallow dives until it is fixed or gone.

The other recommendation was the Genesis GS2000. One of my dive buddies has one and I'll ask to borrow it for a dive in the near future to see if I like it. However I have DIN so would have to use it with one of his big Al tanks (ugh) or attach it to my first stage. (I have 80 l DIN steel tanks). Its never simple, is it?
LOL, I have the GS2000 myself and have dove in waters down to 36 degrees without a problem. I recently upgraded to the Genesis OZ, which is titanium and is built for Nitrox. I NEVER would have gotten this though if I didnt get it at below dealer cost. Genesis was blowing out some of their inventory and my LDS let me have it for his cost-which was an offer I couldnt resist.

You will really enjoy this reg and will prob not change again.

I also use a DIN on 3500psi steel 120 tanks. With the adapter, its merely a few seconds to screw in the yoke-no tools needed,

mikswi:
LOL, I have the GS2000 myself and have dove in waters down to 36 degrees without a problem. I recently upgraded to the Genesis OZ, which is titanium and is built for Nitrox. I NEVER would have gotten this though if I didnt get it at below dealer cost. Genesis was blowing out some of their inventory and my LDS let me have it for his cost-which was an offer I couldnt resist.

You will really enjoy this reg and will prob not change again.

I also use a DIN on 3500psi steel 120 tanks. With the adapter, its merely a few seconds to screw in the yoke-no tools needed,

I got my yoke converted to DIN at great expense. It appears to require a special tool to change it back again....I am feeling utterly ripped off by all this!

?? Im not sure what you have but my Yoke literally just screws right onto the DIN. Seconds and the conversion is done.

Not to be a smart as* but do you want a pic of what it looks like?

mikswi:
?? Im not sure what you have but my Yoke literally just screws right onto the DIN. Seconds and the conversion is done.

Not to be a smart as* but do you want a pic of what it looks like?

Yes please.

Easy change between DIN and yoke is a primary criterion for buying a new first stage now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom