Curious about accident statistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an interesting question and one that can be a political Hot Potato. For example, I have heard wildly unsubstantiated _rumors_ that DAN has looked at a "By Agency" slice-n-dice in their annual accident report, but was somehow encouraged not to publish it.

In any event, there's really only a couple of factors that go into the answer:

1) PADI is the biggest, so if they're 75% of the diving public, then their divers should incur 75% of the accidents if their training is as good as everyone else's. Naturally, some people can't grok this (and some will maliciously twist it) and will draw invalid conclusions.

2) It is pragmatically impossible to get the data necessary to accurately look at the certifications of actual divers on actual dives instead of the number of divers who were once upon a time certified...a classical "Garbage In - Garbage Out" dilemma. If you can't measure it, its just an opinion.

3) Even if you could come close on measuring things and if a particular Agency is significantly superior in their training and *if* this training does translate into fewer accidents (if you're counting, that's three "ifs"):

a) Are they a large enough segment of the market for it to be measurable?
b) Do their divers dive frequently enough for it to be measurable with significance?

3. Similarly (and interrelated), if we take a small niche Agency such as GUE, who lacks an OW class, how are divers with multiple Agency certifications going to be accounted for?

4. Now that we've looked at easy warmwater OW resort dives, how are we even going to begin to account for and adjust for all of the different types of diving which incur different (higher) risk environments?

5. Ditto age-related risk factors...afterall, PADI wasn't always the biggest, so a larger segment of older divers who have higher heart attack risks and the like are probably NAUI & YMCA divers, and this will skew the data.

6. Finally, at what post-certification dive experience level can we safely claim that the original certification Agency really made no meaningful difference anymore?
In other words, do we really think that a diver with 500+ dives has learned nothing since he originally got certified?

Yeah, its an interesting question, but the statistics of it are a royal mess. At very, very best, I'd look at the statistics of dive accidents with <20 dives and that year's Agency reports for how many new OW divers they pushed out if you're looking to potentally identify a possible Agency-specific risk contributor. However, you'll probably find water temperature and a few other risk/stressors to be sufficient system noise to make any measurable difference fail their significance test.

Nevertheless, I'd personally want a Loved One to have more basic training than what is reportedly par for an OW-I class these days. But I can do this on my own after they've gotten their ticket to learn punched.

-hh

-hh:
This is an interesting question and one that can be a political Hot Potato. For example, I have heard wildly unsubstantiated _rumors_ that DAN has looked at a "By Agency" slice-n-dice in their annual accident report, but was somehow encouraged not to publish it.

1) PADI is the biggest, so if they're 75% of the diving public, then their divers should incur 75% of the accidents if their training is as good as everyone else's. Naturally, some people can't grok this (and some will maliciously twist it) and will draw invalid conclusions.

2) It is pragmatically impossible to get the data necessary to accurately look at the certifications of actual divers on actual dives instead of the number of divers who were once upon a time certified...a classical "Garbage In - Garbage Out" dilemma. If you can't measure it, its just an opinion.

3) Even if you could come close on measuring things and if a particular Agency is significantly superior in their training and *if* this training does translate into fewer accidents (if you're counting, that's three "ifs"):

b) Do their divers dive frequently enough for it to be measurable with significance?

3. Similarly (and interrelated), if we take a small niche Agency such as GUE, who lacks an OW class, how are divers with multiple Agency certifications going to be accounted for?

4. Now that we've looked at easy warmwater OW resort dives, how are we even going to begin to account for and adjust for all of the different types of diving which incur different (higher) risk environments?

5. Ditto age-related risk factors...afterall, PADI wasn't always the biggest, so a larger segment of older divers who have higher heart attack risks and the like are probably NAUI & YMCA divers, and this will skew the data.

6. Finally, at what post-certification dive experience level can we safely claim that the original certification Agency really made no meaningful difference anymore?
In other words, do we really think that a diver with 500+ dives has learned nothing since he originally got certified?

Yeah, its an interesting question, but the statistics of it are a royal mess. At very, very best, I'd look at the statistics of dive accidents with <20 dives and that year's Agency reports for how many new OW divers they pushed out if you're looking to potentally identify a possible Agency-specific risk contributor. However, you'll probably find water temperature and a few other risk/stressors to be sufficient system noise to make any measurable difference fail their significance test.

Nevertheless, I'd personally want a Loved One to have more basic training than what is reportedly par for an OW-I class these days. But I can do this on my own after they've gotten their ticket to learn punched.

-hh

h.ned is (pardon the pun) right on target as usual.

PADI takes the biggest flame, but they're all the same.

There's no such thing as a substandard scuba course.

Diving just isn't that difficult or dangerous.

Dude I MUST protest! Are you daft?? There is no such thing as a substandard SCUBA course?? Maybe you are lucky enough to be in an area with Good Reliable LDS's but I've seen at least 2 here in NY that I wouldn't send my worst enemy to for training.
I'll tell ya the tale of a friend of mine. He went into a SCUBA shop to get his C-card cuz we were heading to Key West and wanted to dive. They signed him up took his $250 for the course gave him a book sold him lots of gear and said read it and come back in a week for your class. He had 2, yes you read right 2 class sessions, and 1 YES 1 pool session (for 3 hours) and they said he was ready for his tests.
I needed my c-card at this point cuz I never did my OW dives BUT but had taken my OW course in college (years before) and we had ALOT of time to practice everything so I went over all the stuff I remembered. Would you believe he didn't know what buddy breathing was? (I know it isn't taught in alot of OW classes) he didn't know how to fin pivot, he didn't have any clue as to boyancy control (the Instructors set up hiis weights and helped him maintain boyancy while in the pool for the 1 session he was given) , he was given help on his written exam (I don't mean the type of help you give a clue to remember, they GAVE him answers!!), didn't do mask removal at ALL, didn't do BC removal at ALL, told him the hand signals were only important for the written test (and they helped him with that).
I couldn't believe what I was hearing so I went to this shop to see for my self, I told them I had taken the course in college and only needed to do my OW test. They said OK but we need you to take the written before you can do the OW, and we need to charge you a processing fee of $50 for the test (and they gave me answers while I was doing the test!). Never did they question my skills or experience I could have been lying my @$$ off and they would never have known but I paid them the $$$ so what the hell we will let him get a c-card.
NOW is that a standard SCUBA training in your eyes????
Needless to say after I saw it for myself I walked out and took my buddy with me and he went to another LDS for his training. I did the same routine with this LDS to see how they would react. They believed me when I said I did the training BUT insisted on me doing at least 1 pool session with them to prove my skills were what I claimed them to be. I did it, I then did the written with them and wow no $50 processing fee for the written test. hmmm
So YES there is most definatley SUBSTANDARD courses (note to all I said courses NOT AGENCIES) they were in it for nothing but the $$$$$
BTW that 1st LDS was out of business 3 months later.
Just my $0.02

"There's no such thing as a substandard scuba course."

"Diving just isn't that difficult or dangerous."

wacdiver:
Dude I MUST protest! Are you daft?? There is no such thing as a substandard SCUBA course?? Maybe you are lucky enough to be in an area with Good Reliable LDS's but I've seen at least 2 here in NY that I wouldn't send my worst enemy to for training.

D-yood!

So the agency they represent has them teach the poor course content?

Or the course is tight, and the instructor does a poor job of teaching it?

Is there an agency out there that teaches one pool session and no mask removal?

It's the instructor, Dude.

Not the course.

wacdiver:
I'll tell ya the tale of a friend of mine.

Seen 'em, heard 'em, lived 'em.

(remind me to tell you about my Deep Air class...)

It still isn't the course.

wacdiver:
NOW is that a standard SCUBA training in your eyes????
Needless to say after I saw it for myself I walked out and took my buddy with me and he went to another LDS for his training. I did the same routine with this LDS to see how they would react. They believed me when I said I did the training BUT insisted on me doing at least 1 pool session with them to prove my skills were what I claimed them to be. I did it, I then did the written with them and wow no $50 processing fee for the written test. hmmm
So YES there is most definatley SUBSTANDARD courses (note to all I said courses NOT AGENCIES) they were in
Just my $0.02

So the difference was the LDS/instructor, not the course, eh?

-hh:

-hh

Your on target here, with many points. However I wasn't flaming PADI, for all I know PADI could have a great statistical rating.

I would like to know if anyone is doing statistics on fatalities with percentages on certifying agencies, age, health factors, number of dives, conditions, etc.

icyman:
Your on target here, with many points. However I wasn't flaming PADI, for all I know PADI could have a great statistical rating.

I would like to know if anyone is doing statistics on fatalities with percentages on certifying agencies, age, health factors, number of dives, conditions, etc.

If you go to www.diversalertnetwork.org and browse through the menus to Medical -> publications and root around in there then you'll find a number of books containing analyzes of diving accidents. Just to pick a few out of the bibliography (fx: clicking)

Caruso JL, Uguccioni DM, Ellis JE, Dovenbarger JA, Bennett PB. Do divers in trouble drop their weight belts or integrated weights? A look at the ditching of weight. Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Society 2004;

Caruso JL, Uguccioni DM, Ellis JE, Dovenbarger JA, Bennett PB. Buddy versus solo diving in fatal recreational diving accidents. Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine 2003; 30(3): 210

Caruso JL. The pathology of diving accidents. In: Brubakk AO, Neuman TS, eds. Physiology and Medicine of Diving, 5th Edition , . WB Saunders: Edinburg, 2003: 729-743.

Reed WL, Freiberger JJ, Vann RD, Denoble PJ. Descriptive analysis of a recreational diving accident database. Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine 2002; 29 (2): 99.

You might find some of these interesting. There are others too.

R..

Keysdrifter454:
"There's no such thing as a substandard scuba course."

"Diving just isn't that difficult or dangerous."

D-yood!

So the agency they represent has them teach the poor course content?

Or the course is tight, and the instructor does a poor job of teaching it?

Is there an agency out there that teaches one pool session and no mask removal?

It's the instructor, Dude.

Not the course.

Seen 'em, heard 'em, lived 'em.

(remind me to tell you about my Deep Air class...)

It still isn't the course.

So the difference was the LDS/instructor, not the course, eh?

OK I think we are just arguing semantics here.
With the above info do you feel that the Course that was given at this LDS meet the Curriculum requirements of PADI?? They were offering a PADI cert, I am not bashing PADI I have a PADI card and feel the Curriculum they teach is good but this Course offered at this LDS was by far substandard.
Yes it was the Inst and LDS but they offered the course not PADI (here is where I think we have the problem) PADI offers a Curriculum to teach at the approved shops. PADI does not teach the course they have a cirriculum that dictates what SHOULD be taught in the Course that is taught by the SHOP. Wheather or not an LDS or Inst follow the PADI (or any other agencies) Curriculum guidlines in their Courses is the decision of the individual Shop/Inst.
To say it in another way a Curriculum is a set of skills, topics, or profeciencies that are required to be taught in a particular Course. The Course is what was actually taught in the class(not what was supposed to be taught, that is the Curriculum). Course material is determined by the Inst. what they choose to teach and what they decide to skip is the sole decision of the Inst. Not the agency. Agencies determine Curriculum requirements and content. If I take a SCUBA Course at a shop and they never taught me boyancy control was it part of the course?? NO it wasn't part of the course, BUT it was part of the Curriculum. I have been in classes where the Course material did not match the Curriculum requirements. I have also Taught Courses where I have covered More than what the Curriculum required.
Do I think that there are Bad Curriculums? NO, those are set up and designed by pros to make sure you have the necessary skills you need to dive safe.
Do I think there are BAD Courses? YES without a doubt. Did my Buddy get the necessary training and skills to dive safe? NO then the Course he took was substandard. When he took the Course at a different shop he got the right training because they followed the PADI Curriculum, where the first shop did not!
Was the Problem the LDS and INST. NO DOUBT it was but they taught the course so their Course was sustandard not their Curriculum. See the difference??

wacdiver:
OK I think we are just arguing semantics here.
With the above info do you feel that the Course that was given at this LDS meet the Curriculum requirements of PADI?? They were offering a PADI cert, I am not bashing PADI I have a PADI card and feel the Curriculum they teach is good but this Course offered at this LDS was by far substandard.
Yes it was the Inst and LDS but they offered the course not PADI (here is where I think we have the problem) PADI offers a Curriculum to teach at the approved shops. PADI does not teach the course they have a cirriculum that dictates what SHOULD be taught in the Course that is taught by the SHOP. Wheather or not an LDS or Inst follow the PADI (or any other agencies) Curriculum guidlines in their Courses is the decision of the individual Shop/Inst.
To say it in another way a Curriculum is a set of skills, topics, or profeciencies that are required to be taught in a particular Course. The Course is what was actually taught in the class(not what was supposed to be taught, that is the Curriculum). Course material is determined by the Inst. what they choose to teach and what they decide to skip is the sole decision of the Inst. Not the agency. Agencies determine Curriculum requirements and content. If I take a SCUBA Course at a shop and they never taught me boyancy control was it part of the course?? NO it wasn't part of the course, BUT it was part of the Curriculum. I have been in classes where the Course material did not match the Curriculum requirements. I have also Taught Courses where I have covered More than what the Curriculum required.
Do I think that there are Bad Curriculums? NO, those are set up and designed by pros to make sure you have the necessary skills you need to dive safe.
Do I think there are BAD Courses? YES without a doubt. Did my Buddy get the necessary training and skills to dive safe? NO then the Course he took was substandard. When he took the Course at a different shop he got the right training because they followed the PADI Curriculum, where the first shop did not!
Was the Problem the LDS and INST. NO DOUBT it was but they taught the course so their Course was sustandard not their Curriculum. See the difference??

Oh, no.

I get it, loud and clear.

PADI (or -anyone-) doesn't offer a bad course, the LDS does. :wink:

Keysdrifter454:
Oh, no.

I get it, loud and clear.

PADI (or -anyone-) doesn't offer a bad course, the LDS does. :wink:

If an agency doesn't police it's members and ensure that it's curriculum is held up to reasonable quality standard then who is to blame? The LDS is certainly to blame for their own actions but it's not happening in a vacuum. The agency isn't entirely innocent either.

R..

Diver0001:
If an agency doesn't police it's members and ensure that it's curriculum is held up to reasonable quality standard then who is to blame? The LDS is certainly to blame for their own actions but it's not happening in a vacuum. The agency isn't entirely innocent either.

R..

What are they gonna do?

Act on a world of anecdotal stories?

We're back to safety statistics, where, there's really no noticable risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom