Coz first-timer...questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. Just check the US State Department's travel advisories about the area. Please keep in mind that "tourists" covers lots more than US citizens. I very strongly believe that if a Belgian, Egyptian, or Thai had gone missing in Aruba most Americans would be unlikely ever to have heard of it. The State Department advisories clearly show that Cancun is considerably more dangerous than Cozumel. I could find no warnings about Cozumel.

Oh, I have no doubt that Cancun is more dangerous than Cozumel, but I'd have thought if there were so many murders, rapes, and muggings there it would have gotten more attention in the media. Have you got a link for those State Dept warnings?

Oh, I have no doubt that Cancun is more dangerous than Cozumel, but I'd have thought if there were so many murders, rapes, and muggings there it would have gotten more attention in the media. Have you got a link for those State Dept warnings?

I may need to retract the "several murder of tourists per year" statement. It looks as if it's only one or two every few years. The violent crime stats (especially sexual assaults of various sorts) remain on the site, and the Department issued particularly strong warnings in 2004 and 2005 when Cancun's police were improperly funded and in disarray. The State Department's website isn't difficult to find (travel.state.gov), and the statement "There have been a significant number of rapes reported in Cancun and other resort areas" comes from Mexico.

I also just learned of a double murder of a Canadian couple in PDC in 2006 that I hadn't previously heard of. CBC News Indepth: Mexico Killings My impression is that Playa is still safer than Cancun overall.

It's not tourists, but a policeman was murdered in an attack on Cancun's chief of police last year Reuters AlertNet - Gunmen attack police chief in Cancun beach resort and there was a significant shootout there two months ago A Deadly Turf War Over Cuban Illegals - TIME. That story also claims at least 4 Americans (who may not have been tourists per se) were killed in Cancun since June 2007. Then there were the grenades and automatic weapons found earlier this week Mexico police seize guns, grenades in Cancun resort | International | Reuters.

I'll stick to Cozumel, thanks.

I have been there many times. Tourist is king. Rent a car on the web from the usual (Budget, etc.) the drive is no more perilous than Seattle, and for more than one, cheaper than a tour and oh so more convenient - they usually drag you to a number of kick-back tourist shops. If you encounter any army check point, you don't have to worry - they aren't looking for you, and they know your the reason for the booming tourist industry. The water is safe on Cozumel. I never was sick (unlike the orient.) As for vacinations, I am cover for Hepatitis A which is generally benign but can lay you low for a month, and which you could have picked up at the South Cener Nordstrums coffee bar - fact! Be happy, don't worry.

...Hepatitis A which is generally benign but can lay you low for a month, and which you could have picked up at the South Cener Nordstrums coffee bar...

..or Miami Subs, in Dallas(now defunct, go figure):shakehead:...nasty, just nasty.

There were reports a couple of years ago when the Cancun police were on strike that they were shaking down tourists for money, but I haven't heard those reports in a while.

The military check points I encountered on the way to Chichen Itza were at the toll plazas on the tollway and they didn't even give us a second look.

Wow, mstevens and ggunn, this turned into quite a controversy. Let me further qualify some of my comments earlier on having nothing to worry about over crime, water, and disease. I've been to Cozumel and Cancun once or twice a year over the last few years, with sporadic trips there as far back as 95. My most recent trip was in November, the one prior in March. Hey, sounds like I'm due for the next one! :)

On Crime: I don't read all the news reports for crime in Cancun, so I mostly speak here from just my personal travel experience. I've never had any trouble with crime in either Cancun or Cozumel nor have I ever felt in any danger while I was there. Cancun is definitely more populated, so I'd expect more crime there, and in every city there are good parts of town and bad parts of town. This said, the worst thing I've ever seen in Cancun was in October 06 when I saw some kids huffing out of a paper bag at a phone booth. I also once saw a lady pay way too much for some awful gaudy silver and beaded earrings, and if that wasn't a crime it should've been! Anyway, I'm not saying crime doesn't exist, just saying I've never been affected by it.

On Water: Different hotels have different circumstances for water purification. jbdivechic asked specifically about the Wyndham on Cozumel, and I think someone else here confirmed that Wyndham delivers purified tap water. Bottled water is always the safe way to go if you're worried about it, and the Wyndham provides bottled water, too, so no problem!

On Disease: I think you could probably make a case that you can catch something no matter where you go on planet earth. You're right, I'm not a doctor or a travel physician, nor do I have this couple's medical history, and I can't do a blood work up or give scientific recommendations on what immunizations they should or shouldn't have, but I CAN say that literally thousands of American tourists visit Cancun and Cozumel every year without getting additional immunizations and the incident rate is pretty low. You're also right that dengue and malaria can be a risk in any warm climate (malaria was only considered eradicated from the US in 1951), but the risk is hugely diminished by doing something as simple as avoiding the mosquitos and sleeping indoors at night. Also, if you check the CDC's web site on malaria risk for Mexico here's what they say: "No malaria risk exists in the major resorts along the Pacific and Gulf coasts. Risk is very limited; therefore, prophylaxis is not recommended for most travelers to Mexico. Travelers should use personal protection measures such as insect repellents for malaria prevention." Albeit low, Dengue is the bigger risk, but there's no vaccine you can take for it, so no vaccination needed, just good sense and some bug repellent.

Again, from my personal experience, I'd say there are a lot of dangerous places in the world including plenty of parts of the good ol' USA, and by comparison Cozumel and Cancun are both pretty safe. I've never had any issues there unless I created them myself... like the time in '96 when I had too many daiquiris and climbed the flagpole in Cozumel's main square. The cops didn't find that one nearly as amusing as I did! :) Luckily I got off with just a scolding, but that wasn't my best moment. :) Anyway, that's it, and jbdivechic, if you're still reading this crazy thread, I hope the two of you have a wonderful trip!

Wow, mstevens and ggunn, this turned into quite a controversy.

What controversy? I wasn't arguing or pushing an agenda; I was asking for information. I'm pretty sure mstevens wasn't looking at this as an argument either.

I can give you an argument if you want one, though... ;^)

Q: WHAT DO YOU WANT?
M: Well, I was told outside that...
Q: Don't give me that, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings!
M: What?
Q: Shut your festering gob, you twit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!!!
M: Look, I CAME HERE FOR AN ARGUMENT, I'm not going to just stand...!!
Q: OH, oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse.
M: Oh, I see, well, that explains it.
Q: Ah yes, you want room 12A, Just along the corridor.
M: Oh, Thank you very much. Sorry.
Q: Not at all.
M: Thank You.
(Under his breath) Stupid git!!

rofl. You're all right, Gordon. :) If you're ever in So. Cal, I'd be happy to buy you a cold one. :)

Wow! I'm not sure what I started.....but thank you for everyone for your information. You've all be very helpful. I no longer have any concerns....we're very excited about going and will have a wonderful time, I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom