Question Cancun (Westin) for 6 days, wife non-diver; suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I will fly to Cancun on Sun., Dec. 3/2023, to stay 6 days in Westin Resort & Spa Cancun (Boulevard Kukulcan Km 20.5 Cancun).

I'm a casual warm-water AOW with about 200 dives, and have dove in Cozumel a few times but first time in Cancun. My wife is non-diver, can snorkel (have own snorkel gears) but she's not that keen to snorkel and may accompany me on a dive trip only if the top-side scenery is good, or she'll just stay in resort.

I heard Cenote diving is good in PDC area. If I do 2 days of diving, should I do both cenote dives, or do one day boat diving? Suggestion of dive ops?

We'll do excursions to Chichen Itza, and Tulum, on other days.

Seems like the cenote diving are a bit far from our hotel. I'll need to get to at least PDC, or further south, in early morning. I'm trying to find out affordable transportation.

As for excursions to ruins, we signed up for Chichen Itza + cenote swimming. Was just told 7am pick up, so early.

I would just do the cenote dives for you two days of diving, they are interesting and two days can fill up a lifetime of desire for such things. Check with dive shops to see if there is one who will pick you up. Your wife can have a nice relaxing time at the resort.

Thanks lexvil

I just found Scubacancun can pick up for Cenote diving. Ha, but not for diving out of Cancun.

Anyone with recent experience with them? I'm asking them about two days of cenote diving. Maybe one more day of boat diving with my wife coming as snorkeler or she can just watch (or stay at resort).

There is ocean diving in Cancun, when I went to Cancun with my non-diving wife, I snuck away for a morning of diving and got back around 1 or 2 pm. to enjoy the rest of the day with my wife. I specifically chose an operator that went out early.

I dove one of the wrecks and the nearby reef (all the operators feature this dive) and there was lots of sealife. Also, Dec. (also when I went) is eagle ray season, I saw tons of them drifting by the wreck.

New wife......haha! Couldn't resist! Have fun, man!

Manta Drivers a short bus ride from the Westin. I have dove with them for the last three years. The have local dives, cenote dives, and trip done to cozmel. Highly recommend them.

If you want something quick, I actually found Manchones Reef to be pretty decent. I had always heard that diving out of Cancun was a waste of time, but that spot was well worth it for me. It’s a quick boat trip and you’re back for the rest of the day. The museum is gimmicky in my opinion.

If I do 2 days of diving, should I do both cenote dives, or do one day boat diving?
I appreciate those divers who love cenotes and get great enjoyment out of them, but I would ask, are you into them enough that you want to dive them 2 days? I've only amassed a whopping 2 dives in them with my experience being follow the DM in a single file line, looking at the features that were similar throughout, surfacing where it opened up to the outside (very cool), then going back down and swimming out of the cenote. I know all cenotes are not the same nor are the experiences underneath, but for me, 2 days of possibly the similar dives wouldn't excite me - 1 day yes, 2 days no. Now if I could dive with some SB members who were very experienced in diving them, I may think differently. Personally, I would do a day of cenotes and a day of boat dives, but it's more about your personal preference.....or if you want to keep your wife happy by getting her out on a boat!!

Edit: The thread below shows a neater experience than I had, but there are only a few divers in a well lit area. The cenote comes up about the last minute of the video.

Cozumel (and Cenote) Vacation Video

A few days ago I did book with Scubacancun for
1 day 2-tank diving at MUSA (underwater museum), with my wife snorkeling
2 days of 2-tank cenote diving.

Thanks for all the comments/advise. Too bad I didn't know of Manta Drivers before, to inquire with them.

I don't know if I'll like 2 days of cenote diving, or if 1 day is enough, but I'll find out.

It's our first time to Cancun and not sure if we'll come back this way soon. Anyway, we're looking forward to this trip.

Back
Top Bottom