Cost of GUE Fundamentals class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh? I've taken a whole slew of GUE classes (and some UTD classes) and the only time the instructor was in the water with us was in Cave 1, where Danny swam with us and provided motivation. Now, they DO have to redo the swim test (I believe once a year) at the 500 yard/14 minute standard. But my instructors haven't done it with us.

I've definitely heard of GUE instructors swimming with students where possible. I think that if they have to count the laps swimmed by students in a pool, then it is difficult for them to swim with you. I've met my fundies instructor many times at the pool to swim laps.

I've come to accept that it always is :) When are you down in MoCal next? We need to dive, and I believe Team Bunny owes you a righteous barbecue (maybe we'll set up an elaborate ambush and steal Eric's monster grill from Breakwater) :D

Ryan and I talked about coming down in the next couple weeks and towing the Zodiac down for the weekend. Might try to coincide it with Eric's awesome BBQ being fired up, as I talked to him last night. You missed out on the food orgy in Albion...along with the 80' of vis. We definitely need to get together for another day of diving. Go read my report on NCD and see if you still want to dive with me though :shakehead:

Yes, I saw the list of required and recommended equipment. Unfortunately, I started with PADI and a 'cattle' herd class. Didn't learn much in that class except to know how it feels to breathe underwater. I also wish GUE becomes more easily accessible although I guess the cost would be a barrier for newbies.

Thanks all for some really good advice. I will keep GUE Fundies as my future goal. In the meantime, I will spend my money in upgrading my equipment..

Vimal,

You are making the right choice if and when you get more serious into diving. GUE/UTD from what I have read and heard are elite training philosophies that bring best practices in any type of diving, open water to overhead.

I love diving and can only hope to become a better diver for myself and my friends that dive with me, UTD is the route I wish to pursue for now as I explore what it takes to be a more technical diver.

I hope to see you go down this route and will extend any knowledge/training that I learn as I become more proficient in the art.

Mike G

Huh? I've taken a whole slew of GUE classes (and some UTD classes) and the only time the instructor was in the water with us was in Cave 1, where Danny swam with us and provided motivation.

Sorry to hear that. That wasn't my experience.

Based on what I'm hearing, I would be turned off by some instructors. I understand the importance of good theory, but practicum is just as important, and an instructor that is reluctant to evaluate the majority of my work from topside, makes me want to search elsewhere...

Just my 2 cents...

Yes, I saw the list of required and recommended equipment. Unfortunately, I started with PADI and a 'cattle' herd class. Didn't learn much in that class except to know how it feels to breathe underwater. I also wish GUE becomes more easily accessible although I guess the cost would be a barrier for newbies.

Thanks all for some really good advice. I will keep GUE Fundies as my future goal. In the meantime, I will spend my money in upgrading my equipment..

Hopefully, you'll find that DIR in MoCal as very accessible. Especially given the many nice and helpful local divers who actively dive every weekend and are active on ScubaBoard.

Having proper gear enables or makes things easier. But not having the gear shouldn't prevent you from diving with us, enjoying yourself in the water, or learning more about this way of diving.

While the focus (especially on the Internet) is often about gear and individual skills (look at my poor post in this thread as a great example), I believe that its real strengths are team diving, dive planning, and situational awareness. And these items don't require gear.

Looks like you met some of the local crew this past weekend, so that's a great start. Let's go diving!

A couple of comments from a GUE/UTD (before it was UTD) "graduate" about comments made on this thread:

a. Re GUE instructors NOT being in the water. Guys, TSandM was referring SOLELY to her GUE instructors NOT being in the water for the swim tests. My GUE instructor (the same one she had) did not go in the pool for my swim test either. BUT, AT ALL TIMES, her GUE instructors were in the water with her while actually instructing/evaluating in water skills. BTW, I don't go in the water to swim with my students when they are doing their swim tests either -- I'm watching and counting laps.

b. Gear stuff -- Both GUE/UTD have gear "mandates" for their classes, as do DSAT, TDI, etc. for their comparable classes. "Fundies/Essentials" are, in reality, Intro-to-Technical Diving classes and thus really need to have at least some semblance of technical gear to work. But don't get hung up on the gear -- what is really important is the other training. The gear is not a major part of either class.

c. "It is the instructor, not the agency." While something that is often said (and derided), it is ever so true, even within the "DIR training world." What is good about GUE/UTD instructors is that the agencies have done most of the work for you in picking/training their instructors -- but you still need to work with an instructor that "works for you." Not every GUE/UTD instructor will teach the same way and some just won't really work for every particular student. AND, believe it or not, there really are some PADI/SSI/(insert alphabet soup agency here) instructors who will teach you the same, or similar, primary/important skills. Of course those instructors tend to be ones who have been trained by GUE/UTD instructors and thus have the same mindset -- BUT, they are out there and can be found.

Enjoy the journey.

Based on what I'm hearing, I would be turned off by some instructors. I understand the importance of good theory, but practicum is just as important, and an instructor that is reluctant to evaluate the majority of my work from topside, makes me want to search elsewhere...

Just my 2 cents...

Mike, what in the world are you talking about? How do you evaluate posture, trim, propulsion, skills and drills from topside?

I fail to understand why this would be an issue. I am glad my dad was at my side while first learning to swim many years ago otherwise I am just dandy swimming laps in a pool alone (certified solo swimmer). Besides I pay no attention to anything in my wake.

Last edited:

Just my 2 cents...

Just to be clear. The instructor not in the water is in reference to the lap swim and underwater swim test in the pool. And that part only. The instructors are in the water and video taping too (or have an assistant video taping) for the rest of the in water part of the classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom