Cost of GUE Fundamentals class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks but I was just wondering what shopped he hopped over to, if any.

Brian - Do it, well worth any amount of money!! Good luck and keep me posted.

End the speculation and e-mail or call him...

Ha ha, no real reason to, I've already been talking to and working with my local GUE instructor to get into a class. I was just being curious. Thanks though!

Another option is taking UTD Essentials, which is a very similar class (I took this as well), it was a bit shorter and less $$ (but that also depends on the instructor). The important thing is that both classes teach the same skillset and team diving philosophy.In the meantime, feel free to ping us with any questions you might have.Kenn

Hi Vimal,

If you (or anyone else) are interested in UTD Essentials, we have two classmates and are looking for a third.

We plan to take the class soon. The date is somewhat flexible, the class is local, and our instructor Don is very helpful!

It seems a great way to learn basic DIR skills and start on this path. No stress of pass/fail - just lots of learning & probably lots of laughs.

Feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
GUE swim test: Instructors in the pool swimming laps right along side you.

Huh? I've taken a whole slew of GUE classes (and some UTD classes) and the only time the instructor was in the water with us was in Cave 1, where Danny swam with us and provided motivation. Now, they DO have to redo the swim test (I believe once a year) at the 500 yard/14 minute standard. But my instructors haven't done it with us.

To the OP: Everything I have read about Beto's Fundies class is that it's worth whatever he charges for it. He goes above and beyond, with a class that's worth the money anyway.

Since the OP is interested in GUE Fundamentals, I initially didn't want to respond to this thread.

However, I do want to provide a few comments and hopefully a few clarifications on the UTD curriculum. In addition, the Standard and Procedures available on Unified Team Diving is a more detailed and thorough document on the differences in classes.

Both Fundamentals and Essentials are introduction to DIR, however their biggest benefit is the teaching of the essential skills - trim, buoyancy, and propulsion. Originally, Fundamentals was for technical divers. This has changed in the past few years as many recreational divers now take the course. Essentials is only focused on recreational diving. In the UTD curriculum, the Intro-to-Tech course is closest to Fundamentals, though we require use of a deco bottle and conduct gas switches.

Essentials is not about evaluation, and that's one of the main strengths of the course. It's conducted in a workshop atmosphere and the primary goal is to teach the divers the essential skills and allow the divers time to practice these skills and get hands on review from the instructor. For many divers, this will be a full 2-3 days of diving.

Once the divers have a decent handle on essential skills, then a natural progression is team and environment. In all Essentials classes, we discuss and experience team and environment issues. The extend depends on the team, the environment, and the instructor. Again, the goal is to teach the foundational skills. So if time is better spent on trim, buoyancy, and propulsion, then time will be spent there.

For me, it's about Building Blocks and doing each phase well. An instructor can easily overload a student (obviously not unique to diving) and while this may offer a challenge to the divers and maybe "fun" to experience, my concern in Essentials is those first skills. They are the platform that enables everything else.

Recreational 2 is the class that cultivates situational awareness - team and environment. There are a few additional skills as well as the introduction of failures during an actual dive (as opposed to being stationary or hovering next to a line). The Recreational 2 course concludes with 2 experience dives at depths > 60', doing open water ascents, hitting every 10' stop, etc.

Hope this clarifies a few things, and if there's more discussion of UTD (especially in MoCal), I'd propose creating a new thread. I don't want to hijack a GUE thread.

Vimal,

Because you are asking about cost, I would also like to inform you that along with cost of instructions, there is RECOMMENDED and REQUIRED equipment that you need. That will be another added expensive.

I cannot remember what type of configuration or BCD you had when we met at Lover's Point and dove. Ask around or read the GUE/UTD website and you will see what is required to start the courses.

They have all the required, and recommended equipment to faciliate their best practices online.

Had I known I was going to get into diving this serious, I would have started with one of these agencies from the beginning.

I just hope that they become just as public as PADI/SSI etc, would make for divers like me better informed descisions from the beginning. End result can be a huge savings in money when you are not caught in BCD equipment/standard configuration from the start.

I learned the hard way in terms of money spent in training and equipment, I just hope to make the right descision as I start my directions into UTD/GUE training.

MG

Vimal,

Because you are asking about cost, I would also like to inform you that along with cost of instructions, there is RECOMMENDED and REQUIRED equipment that you need. That will be another added expensive.

I cannot remember what type of configuration or BCD you had when we met at Lover's Point and dove. Ask around or read the GUE/UTD website and you will see what is required to start the courses.

They have all the required, and recommended equipment to faciliate their best practices online.

Had I known I was going to get into diving this serious, I would have started with one of these agencies from the beginning.

I just hope that they become just as public as PADI/SSI etc, would make for divers like me better informed descisions from the beginning. End result can be a huge savings in money when you are not caught in BCD equipment/standard configuration from the start.

I learned the hard way in terms of money spent in training and equipment, I just hope to make the right descision as I start my directions into UTD/GUE training.

MG

Yes, I saw the list of required and recommended equipment. Unfortunately, I started with PADI and a 'cattle' herd class. Didn't learn much in that class except to know how it feels to breathe underwater. I also wish GUE becomes more easily accessible although I guess the cost would be a barrier for newbies.

Thanks all for some really good advice. I will keep GUE Fundies as my future goal. In the meantime, I will spend my money in upgrading my equipment..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom