Cost of GUE Fundamentals class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to be clear. The instructor not in the water is in reference to the lap swim and underwater swim test in the pool. And that part only. The instructors are in the water and video taping too (or have an assistant video taping) for the rest of the in water part of the classes.

The water at the Blue Grotto in High Springs is so clear they could almost accomplish...

Mike, what in the world are you talking about? How do you evaluate posture, trim, propulsion, skills and drills from topside?

Casey,

Type O mistake, I was trying to say, "any instructor that doesn't evaluate me from within the water column, I'd be reluctant". The end part of my original quote should read, while being Topside!!!

What came out was a type O, sorry for the confusion.... :dork2:

I think this whole "swim test" thing is getting a bit out of hand. It's a small part of class (a prerequisite, really), and whether the instructor is with you in the pool or not, he's watching you and making sure you can cover the required distance in order to continue on with the course.

There's really nothing to really "evaluate" other than if you can cover the distance without looking like you're going to drown. For all other aspects of the class - class work, pool work, open water, the instructor is where you are - in the classroom, in the pool or in open water. I honestly don't recall whether the instructor was swimming laps with me or not during the swim test, since 99% of the actual class was focused on other things.

I agree, I think people are focusing too much on the minor details. This seems to happen a lot when it comes to GUE/DIR/etc. I was only relaying what *I personally* found exceptional about that one SMALL aspect of the entire program.

I am, from this point on, completely removing myself from any discussion of "DIR," and GUE on the internet; especially on Scubaboard.

:wq

I agree, I think people are focusing too much on the minor details. This seems to happen a lot when it comes to GUE/DIR/etc. I was only relaying what *I personally* found exceptional about that one SMALL aspect of the entire program.

I am, from this point on, completely removing myself from any discussion of "DIR," and GUE on the internet; especially on Scubaboard.

:wq

I reread the thread and it was a typical SB discussion. You made a point whereas a few posters responded in respectfull fashion and in turn, you questioned (respectfully) comments made by another. Where was the foul?

There was no foul made by anyone, and I don't think anyone got butthurt. :)

Nothing good ever comes from internet discussion forums when the topic is DIR, so I'm respectfully bowing out of any future DIR topics.

Frankly, the whole "DIR" thing is embarrassing - I hesitate to even mention it in person or on the internet. I can certainly see how the continued actions of internet DIR practitioners make the whole look bad. I'm equally certain these people are wonderful in person, but the internet persona adopted by many are less than pleasant and do nothing to promote a positive image for GUE/UTD. </rant over>

There was no foul made by anyone, and I don't think anyone got butthurt. :)

Nothing good ever comes from internet discussion forums when the topic is DIR, so I'm respectfully bowing out of any future DIR topics.

Frankly, the whole "DIR" thing is embarrassing - I hesitate to even mention it in person or on the internet. I can certainly see how the continued actions of internet DIR practitioners make the whole look bad. I'm equally certain these people are wonderful in person, but the internet persona adopted by many are less than pleasant and do nothing to promote a positive image for GUE/UTD. </rant over>

Casey

I disagree. Don&#8217;t let a few run in with trees distract you from the beauty of the forest. Sure sometimes there is friction, ego and lots of missunderstanding attached to the DIR thing. But I assure you lots of good comes from SB DIR discussion.

I've found some great ambassadors on this board such as TSandM. IMO, well placed comments can be extremely helpful.

Kathy - You are correct. And I think what GUE/UTD has done for training is amazing and I'm glad I decided to go that direction. I've just lost all interest in talking about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom