Congestion And Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattdust

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a very new diver. I got certified in the fall in a fresh water quarry, and so then my family (I'm 14) and I decided to take a vacation during spring break to the Caribbean. About a week before the trip I began to suffer from a minor cold, no fever, no green snot, just the usually stuff. However, the day before we left I had a ortho appointment which has made me sick in the past and probably slowed down my recovery. Travel day came and it was AWFUL. Maybe it was the low pressure or something but I had zero breathing through my nose. It did alleviate some after we landed. After that, I waited about a day and a half until I went to the local clinic and was cleared by the doctor. He said as long as I could equalize easily (which I could demonstrate for him) I should be fine underwater. So I decided to catch the 2:15 dive on Sudafed. As soon as I get in the water two things happen. I am absolutely shocked by the pure beauty of what I was seeing, and the pressure that is in my sinuses. The meds seem to have no effect whatsoever in clearing me up further. When I equalized it helped some, but there was still that uncomfortable pressure. After about 15 feet, I really couldn't dare to go any lower without considerable pain. Because of the fact that other boat go by and I am only about 10 feet under my buddy and I (my mom) came up. Huge bummer. Especially since I was supposedly cleared by the doctor. It is day three now, the attempted dive was yesterday. It has been over 10 days since my original cold. I was considering antibiotics at this point.

What should I do? How much longer should I wait? I really don't know, and all I want is one full and comfortable dive before we leave in a week.

Last edited:
Patience is essential when it comes to equalizing your ears. First, if you're having any kind of sinus issues: DON'T DIVE. Yeah, it sucks. Fortunately, you're young and will have many, many more diving trips ahead of you. Injuring yourself by trying to push things now may affect your ability to dive ever again. I spent the entire week in Cozumel last year recovering from such a cold. I filled my time with surface activities instead. Again, it sucks. But it's what you should do.

No, I'm not a medical doctor: I fix sick networks. I am a Scuba Instructor and feel your pain. Get well my friend.

Yes, it is a very big disappointment when that happens. Even though cleared by a Dr,.... You must remember, most Dr's have no clue about how breathing compressed gas can affect you (on top of most of it is very individual). Unless the Dr ran a scope up into your sinuses, he has no idea of how much swelling there is in your sinuses. You might call Diver's Alert Network (1-919-684-9111) & talk to a Dr that is familiar with your situation. They may also be able to get you in contact with a Dr in your area that may be able to help you.

I've had to sit it out on a liveaboard in Maldives and Turks and Caicos. I feel your pain but as netdoc said, you musn't push this if you can't equalize.

New divers often equalize too hard which isn't good either. Also, new divers rarely equalize early enough which contributes to the harder honking when they do equalize.

While you're sitting it out, why not practice equalizing? Your ears become more flexible . . .used to being opened up. I'm not explaining it well but before your next dive, equalize in your room, a couple of times on the way to the boat, on the boat and again just before going in, equalize as early as possible upon entry, equalize on each breath as you descend.

How much diving experience do your parents have? Perhaps they can help you with this.

New divers often equalize too hard which isn't good either.
I agree with this.
While you're sitting it out, why not practice equalizing?
I don't agree with this. If you're having problems equalizing, you'll only traumatize your ears by doing this. STOP. Leave things alone until the congestion passes.

Again, I'm not a medical doctor. I fix sick networks.

:) I hear you netdoc. My bad.

I should have said, "if you're not congested nor having any discomfort". Our young poster led me to believe he had no congestion and was able to equalize for the doctor, which made me think his underwater problem was more likely caused by poor equalization technique so common in new divers.

Further, it's an all too easy thing for me to say as I sit here equalizing my ears (in a similar manner as when one is ascending/descending in a plane). I move my jaw somehow and can hear the slight pop in my ears. :) I like to keep the old eustachian tubes flexible. :)

:) I hear you netdoc. My bad.
No need to apologize. :D For most people, this is fine advice. For those who do not have congestion, it's been my experience that those who are slow to equalize do better if they equalize first on the surface and then start to descend. Don't wait for pressure to build up after that. Be proactive albeit gentle with your attempts.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

I probably should have said before but I am staying at Anthony's Key Resort. They have a very competent Doctor there. They are even equipped with a hyperbaric chamber. So I believe the doctor knows what he is doing.

In terms of equalizing throughout the day, I have been and without discomfort. Another reason I came up from the (almost amazing) dive was because the doctor assured me that forcing equalization was a big mistake. On the dive I attempted to equalize almost the entire way down, but soon I was having trouble in my left ear. Even if at that point I could have equalized my left ear, the pressure in my sinuses was to to much anyway.

ChillyinCanada, my parents have logged about 40 dive, so I suppose they are still considered beginners. They have been trying to help me out as much as they can.

Every day I am noticing a marked improvement, so hopefully I will be able to get at least one dive before the end of the week.

You're on Anthony's Key??? Awesome place. Go play with the dolphins! :D :D :D

Hang in there mattdust. It's always a drag when our bodies deny us the opportunity to enjoy something.

I'm often freaked I'm going to catch something before a dive trip. The closer the trip gets the more weird I become.I wash my hands obsessively. I won't go places where there are many people nor to visit people that have school-aged children in their homes, you know like my nieces and nephews :) I use antibacterial wipes on the plane to wipe down my area. Yes, more and more strange but at my age, I rarely care what people think of me if I'm doing something goofy. It's my trip! My dive trip! Ya know what I mean? I've got to be healthy.

But sometimes it doesn't matter how ridiculously I prepare. I caught a common variety head cold from someone on the staff of the liveaboard at Maldives. The other susceptible guests didn't come down with it until the trip was ending. Boo hoo for me but lucky for them.. i figure I should have keehauled Zina <-the dive leader that started the whole cold thing on the boat . . .but sigh, he's a nice guy and he didn't mean to infect me. :p

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom