POST ENDOSCOPIC SINUS SURGERY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

360GUY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm an AOWD with about 50 dives (still a newbie).

A little over a year ago, I developed a sinus infection. I discovered this issue when diving, I was unable to EQUALIZE beyond 10FT.

Went to my ENT. The diagnosis was infection only on left side. About 6 weeks ago, I had Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. Honestly, I have no idea if anything worked. Although my breathing is fine, there's still a little congestion that always seems to be there.

I think I'm ready to start diving again. Somebody asked me, if I could EQUALIZE at the surface? If yes, things were probably ok, but if not able to EQUALIZE at the surface, I probably wouldn't be able to do it in open water...Hmmmm.

I was confused. There's NO PRESSURE at the surface. How could I equalize. I pinched my nose and gently blew, but nothing...OK...Then I pinched and swallowed. There was a little POPPING...When I adjust my jaw, I do feel a little popping, as well...

So NOW what do I do? LoL... Should I try to descend in a pool, or the ocean and test it out; try to descend 5ft or so and see what happens? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. PS...Other than SINUS RINSE a couple times a day, I'm currently taking no other medication.

Equalizing pressure in the sinus cavity is very different from equalizing middle ear cavity.
Your sinus surgeon should be able to tell if sinus inflammation has come down and your sinuses are open. Ideally, you would need the clearance to dive from your ENT after surgery anyways.

Surgery was in California. I live in Puerto Vallarta. Doctor did say, after a month, if there were no lingering effects (bleeding, etc), I'd be good to go. I do have a local ENT. Perhaps I'll make an appointment and he can check me out. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom