New Diver: Drift Diving Dives 5-15 & Nitrox Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I disagree with is using it as a tool to extend your dive.
So you're ok ending your dive at reserve level, and your buddy is ok ending their dive at reserve level, but it's not ok for you both to be near reserve? Is that not the result after sharing? What would you do if your buddy has a similar SAC as you, again resulting in you both at reserve pressure?

I don't disagree with practicing air sharing and believe it is a good thing to do. What I disagree with is using it as a tool to extend your dive. The good with coming back to the boat with some "extra" air is the what if's and it gives you time to figure it out but it is also not limiting my dives. What if the current picks up and you get blown away from the boat, what if your computer dies, what if a hose starts to leak, what if your SPG is off or broke? All of these have happened to me or my buddy in some very remote places.
Now you are putting into the equation the "remote places" factor.

This is not a remote place. This is not in a cave or a shipwreck.

This is Cozumel with dozen of boats scurrying around. You are near your divemaster. When you are between 40-60 feet of water. And you share the air when you are above a level that puts you in concerns. When you are at/near 1000psi, you are starting to egress the dive.

Different scenario if you are on a liveaboard swimming away from the only boat for 1000's of miles? YES.

Actually, I think sharing air is a GOOD practice. It gives both divers a chance to practice the activity in a non stressful manner.
Without a doubt. Practicing an air share is GOOD practice. However, using this as a means to extend a dive is not ideal. Can it be done safely? Possibly, but I would not recommend this as a common practice for new divers.

The diver with the gas limitation will control the time of the dive, assuming NDL is not a factor. That's just the way it is.
As a new diver, that may not work. Should the new diver go to a 100l and the experienced go to a 63l? If the 63l is even available on Cozumel. Or any other operation.
Don't necessarily need to change anything on the experienced diver. If the larger cylinder is available for the newer diver, then that may be a good option.

I don't rent tanks, but dive often with my daughters. Their SAC rate is much better than mine, mainly due to size. I've got 120s, 100s, and 80s at home. If possible, I'll take one of the bigger ones, and the girls will take smaller ones. That's really the only way we'll end close. Or, we just end when the first diver is low. No complaints.

One more item, there is no prize for having excess air at the end of the dive. The DMs I have been with have been known to share their air with "air hogs". If you are getting low, 1000 psi, communicate with others. If someone is in the 1500psi range, buddy up and use some of their air.

Textbook example of normalization of deviance.

Reactions: xan
Textbook example of normalization of deviance.
Normalization of deviance is departing from what is commonly regarded as acceptable. How is this materially different than both buddies hitting reserve pressure at the same time. Are you saying that's not acceptable either?

In the case of unequal usage, if the diver with more remaining air isn't comfortable sharing the excess for "non-emergency" usage, it sounds like they are simply requiring a larger reserve than they think they are and shouldn't pretend otherwise. Conversely, if they are truly comfortable with whatever reserve they've selected, then why the pushback?

Basically, I'm challenging the inconsistency of that position.

Normalization of deviance is deviating from a standard practice until the new practice becomes normal.

It is standard practice to end a dive when any diver reaches a certain minimum tank pressure.

The new practice being discussed is for the low on air diver to share air to equalize their air supply with another diver who has used less air.

If this new practice becomes normal, as is suggested above, then there you have it, normalization of deviance.

@arkstorm, your drive-by, buzzword post indicates your opposition to the practice. In the interest of discussion, can you elaborate as to why (beyond "standard practice is...")? Do you not find it inconsistent that it's OK for both divers to be at their reserve pressures in one case, but not in the other?

Out of interest and ignorance, where else, other than Cozumel, is routine air sharing practiced? I'm reasonably traveled, have not seen it. In many locations, divers who consume more gas use larger cylinders. At other times, divers running low on gas discontinue their dives while others continue as possible.

On my one visit to Cozumel, my son and I dived with Aldora with 120s. We had long dives, no air sharing was done.

Thanks

I've only seen this in Coz. And even there it was limited to mid-depths or shallower. In other words after the deep part of the typical multi-level dive was completed. And I've only seen it with operators that wanted everyone to come up together instead of in buddy pairs with a DSMB. Frankly I prefer keeping the group together in Coz with so many boats and fast drift dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom