Finally did my first SCUBA experience and enjoyed it despite my disability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of SCUBA!

I'm sure someone mentioned this earlier, but if you haven't seen this forum, you might want to check it out:

Very cool~ congratulations. I agree diving is so freeing, like flying through water. We routinely dive with a gentleman who has CP. Our last trip he showed up with one of the 'toy' DPV's > lighter, smaller, infinitely more manageable and he and his wife both said it was a game changer. Less battery life, but plenty of charge to go out and do a recreational 2 tank boat, hour each dive. Prior to that he was using the webbed gloves.

unfortunately due to the pump I can't dive deeper than 30 feet
In the last three years I have not been deeper than to 30 feet.

Instead, I've done search and recovery diving, ice diving, historical diving, diving in (slow moving!) rivers and surveying a shallow low visibility site, all within 30 feet. There are nice shallow reefs in the world, too! Depth is only required if you want to see the things that live at great depth. Underwater photography (or modeling!) does not require that much water either. In Iceland there's this wonderfull crack between the continents, where one can dive and enjoy wonderfull scenery, all at shallow depth, and it's a world class dive site!

Your options are countless. Just pick the ones that suit you.

Glad you enjoyed your Try Scuba! SSI Classified Diving includes divers up to quadriplegic status, who are Level 3 (3 Dive Buddies) status.

Your internal pump is one of the few sticky issues due to the possibility of rupturing, but your sister at first glance could absolutely get her certification.

DM if you want to talk more or get connected with specialized docs

Glad you enjoyed your Try Scuba! SSI Classified Diving includes divers up to quadriplegic status, who are Level 3 (3 Dive Buddies) status.

Your internal pump is one of the few sticky issues due to the possibility of rupturing, but your sister at first glance could absolutely get her certification.

DM if you want to talk more or get connected with specialized docs
I know for sis before we want even look into her getting certified, she wants to look into doing a Try SCUBA thing. It would suck to put up all the money / time investment doing the book work stuff /getting the personal gear just for her to get into the pool and find this is not her thing, if we do the Try SCUBA at worst we have a not great afternoon and out maybe Lunch and a tank of gas.

As far my pump goes, less than 33 feet is within spec and no issues. Unless I am going below 100 feet there not much a of chance physical damage to the pump and at least with my pump (Medtronic Synchromed II) there is not been any reported instance of rupturing due to pressure from diving (just a partial Reservoir collapse at over 100 feet down). At around 60 feet my pump might slow down about 3%, but will resolve itself as I make my way to the surface and after discussing it with my pump doctor she doesn't an issue doing the 2 or so dives at 60 for getting ab open water cert. So I won't be able to go for an advanced/ deep water, unfortunate but small price to pay to still be able to dive and keep my leg issues under control with the pump

I know for sis before we want even look into her getting certified, she wants to look into doing a Try SCUBA thing. It would suck to put up all the money / time investment doing the book work stuff /getting the personal gear just for her to get into the pool and find this is not her thing, if we do the Try SCUBA at worst we have a not great afternoon and out maybe Lunch and a tank of gas.

As far my pump goes, less than 33 feet is within spec and no issues. Unless I am going below 100 feet there not much a of chance physical damage to the pump and at least with my pump (Medtronic Synchromed II) there is not been any reported instance of rupturing due to pressure from diving (just a partial Reservoir collapse at over 100 feet down). At around 60 feet my pump might slow down about 3%, but will resolve itself as I make my way to the surface and after discussing it with my pump doctor she doesn't an issue doing the 2 or so dives at 60 for getting ab open water cert. So I won't be able to go for an advanced/ deep water, unfortunate but small price to pay to still be able to dive and keep my leg issues under control with the pump

I know you are in MO, but there are dedicated programs that equip, train, and sponsor trips for Classified Diver candidates and a buddy. They start with free Try Scubas. I’m involved with one of these programs and got my OW with their help. And now I’m a Dive Buddy for other Classified Divers.

I know you are in MO, but there are dedicated programs that equip, train, and sponsor trips for Classified Diver candidates and a buddy. They start with free Try Scubas. I’m involved with one of these programs and got my OW with their help. And now I’m a Dive Buddy for other Classified Divers.
I know of organizations like Dive Heart and Dive Pirates (and I am sure their are others). Getting my sister into a try SCUBA thing and see if this is something she would want to go forward with. If both of us want to get certified then we are going to need to wait till my 14 year old can Luna dies, Luna has a thyroid issue she needs meds for twice a day. So both of us can't go on a tropical vacation to SCUBA dive or no one will be home to give Luna her meds. Obviously if sis doesn't want to get into dive I can get the ball rolling whenever I want, but I would like to give her the opportunity to do this together. While we both have "cerebral palsy" how it effects us and just our personalities there are not many things we can bond over

While the open water certification is technically for depths to 60ft. There is absolutely nothing that states any of the dives need to be that deep. Near me, shops certify hundreds of open water divers every year in a quarry that to go beyond 40ft you'd need a shovel.
Most of the best tropical and quarry diving is done in less than 30 feet of water.
The last dive I did was 92 minutes and my buddy and I never went below 20 feet. And below 15 was only briefly. It was a great relaxing dive.
And with your challenges, a reputable op would require you to dive with a trained buddy who is familiar with your needs. Any that would not require this is one to be avoided.
The agencies that have specific criteria for divers with challenges would have extensive experience and knowledge of places to go.

That's awesome, bro. Also, very inspirational. Keep it up and enjoy the experiences.:like::like:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom