Looking to buy my first fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are the scuba fins faster and more efficient on average and can I use the scuba fins for freediving until I get scuba verified?
As mentioned, the optimal fin length depends on your drag.
With scuba equipment, you will have much more drag in the water compared to freediving.

But yes, you can use scuba fins to try out freediving. It just won't be very efficient.

As mentioned, the optimal fin length depends on your drag.
With scuba equipment, you will have much more drag in the water compared to freediving.

But yes, you can use scuba fins to try out freediving. It just won't be very efficient.
The thing is that it's going to take me a while to get all the equipment that I need

Best bet: Find a shop that will let you try out all their fins in scuba gear in a pool. You don't have to be using the scuba gear, just have it on. Buy the ones that work the best. Try flutter, frog, and dolphin kicks. If you don't know them all, learn them first.

Even then, the odds are only 50/50. It's hard to get exactly the right pair of fins for you the first time.

Are the scuba fins faster and more efficient on average and can I use the scuba fins for freediving until I get scuba verified?
For open water, the right free diving fin can be advantageous. They wouldn't be good in some situations, but can be advantageous in a lot.

Now, it should be noted that free diving fins are not the same as snorkeling fins. Snorkeling fins will likely not be sufficient for scuba. Probably too short and bendy. By free diving fins, I'm referring to the long bladed ones. I wouldn't want to use them in tight spaces, but for power and efficiency, they are tough to beat. I picked up a pair not long ago. I absolutely love them. A buddy I dive with regularly also picked up a pair. He commented after my first dive with the longblades that he had trouble keeping up with me. He was kicking hard, and I was not. If I'm doing a dive that will involve quite a bit of swimming, I'll use these 100% of the time. For a more leisurely dive, I'll use a a smaller blade. In my case, that would be the Cressi Pro Star.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom