Looking to buy my first fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Three things I would look out for when trying out fins:
1. Length matters. It's like gears on a bicycle or car. If you have much drag in the water, you need shorter fins. Freedivers have the longest.
2. Buoyancy also matters. Fins are at your sternmost station. Choose ones with lower or higher density to cancel out pitch momentum from the rest of your setup.
3. Visibility is also important: If you're in a dark lake, muddy waters and diving with a newby, you want to make it easy for your buddy to keep in visual contact. Use bright colours, ditch the black and camo look.

Edit: One more hint: If you choose bungee straps, keep them out of the sun or regularly change them. UV radiation damages the material over time.
It's going to take a while until I get full equipment, but I'm going to keep those things in mind.
However, I don't think that I can find any shops willing to rent stuff, so I have to make a purchase that I'm absolutely sure of, meaning it's harder to choose.

Welcome buddy - file kalosirthes sto forum! Fellow diver from Messinia here. As others already said, take your time until you are certified and have done some dives. Until then, you can rent all the required equipment from any diving centre. Scuba is an expensive hobby, and there's no need to rush and buy something right now. Wait until you have the money to buy something proper. I am roughly at your shoes - I have sometimes bought pieces of equipment because I didn't had at the time the money required for something proper, and then I regretted my purchase.
Oh hey, I've been to Messinia too!
Anyways, getting certified is wuite expensive too, so that's going to have to wait a little. Of course, I don't plan on diving uncertified, but I want to have some prior experience with proper fins before starting.
How much money w
would be considered enough to buy a proper pair of fins that I will not regret in the future, and what would that be?

Oh hey, I've been to Messinia too!
Anyways, getting certified is wuite expensive too, so that's going to have to wait a little. Of course, I don't plan on diving uncertified, but I want to have some prior experience with proper fins before starting.
How much money w
would be considered enough to buy a proper pair of fins that I will not regret in the future, and what would that be?

You may have a look at Scubapro GoSport ( circa 120 euro for Greece), Mares Avanti Quattro (c. 140) or Apeks RK3 (c.150 euro). These three brands are reliable and will serve you well, although they aren't the only available in the market. I personally own Scubapro GoSport and I am fully satisfied. A suggestion: whatever brand you may choose, they should better have bungee cords or spring straps for the heels, instead of the usual plastic bands.

You may have a look at Scubapro GoSport ( circa 120 euro for Greece), Mares Avanti Quattro (c. 140) or Apeks RK3 (c.150 euro). These three brands are reliable and will serve you well, although they aren't the only available in the market. I personally own Scubapro GoSport and I am fully satisfied. A suggestion: whatever brand you may choose, they should better have bungee cords or spring straps for the heels, instead of the usual plastic bands.
I see, I checked them out. May I ask what's the difference between Cressi Pro Light fins and the Scubapro GoSport and they are doible the price? As a newbie it's hard to spot any difference.

I see, I checked them out. May I ask what's the difference between Cressi Pro Light fins and the Scubapro GoSport and they are doible the price? As a newbie it's hard to spot any difference.
Honestly, I don't know anything about these fins. From a quick search, they seem as decent fins for a starter, but I would like to hear the opinions of other Scubaboard members on this.

Honestly, I don't know anything about these fins. From a quick search, they seem as decent fins for a starter, but I would like to hear the opinions of other Scubaboard members on this.
Alright, thank you for taking the time to search these up!

What about the C4 Predator fins? I really like their design but I dont know if they will serve me well.

Alright, thank you for taking the time to search these up!

What about the C4 Predator fins? I really like their design but I dont know if they will serve me well.
As far as I understand, these are spearfishing fins. So, not ideal for scuba diving. Scuba fins tend to be stiffer and sturdier in order to propel you and your equipment in water.

As far as I understand, these are spearfishing fins. So, not ideal for scuba diving. Scuba fins tend to be stiffer and sturdier in order to propel you and your equipment in water.
Are the scuba fins faster and more efficient on average and can I use the scuba fins for freediving until I get scuba verified?

@staurox

On a completely separate note, starting one thread about fins should be adequate. No need to start multiple threads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom