Congestion And Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you really want a 14 year old experimenting with cold medication while he is on vacation? Do you want a 14 year old reading the above links that you and I have provided to make a decision on what medications to take so that he can dive?

I don't. Which is why my response was simple.

OP, please skip the meds, enjoy snorkeling and other activities that others have suggested. You have so many years ahead of you for amazing diving experiences. When you get to be my age (old), you will have thousands of dives under your belt. I envy you a bit to be honest. :)

Kosta
Good point. I completely missed the age! Thank you for pointing this out.

Good point. I completely missed the age! Thank you for pointing this out.
I feel the message has to be appropriate for the audience. In this case, it is a 14-year old. If we want to get into a detailed discussion on which medications can help divers overcome congestion symptoms, that is completely different.

14 years......good point. I kind of lost that critical issue in the discussion.
Just as I missed half a dozen mentions of reverse block! :)

Matt. If you are still reading this I want to tell you just how impressed I am. A certified diver at 14 with the maturity to recognize a problem and call a dive and to take the initiative to find alternatives. Double kudos to you and I know you will have a beautiful life full of wonderful adventures.

If you find time let us know how things are going and I would love to see future posts on your continuing explorations.

Matt. If you are still reading this I want to tell you just how impressed I am. A certified diver at 14 with the maturity to recognize a problem and call a dive and to take the initiative to find alternatives. Double kudos to you and I know you will have a beautiful life full of wonderful adventures.

If you find time let us know how things are going and I would love to see future posts on your continuing explorations.
Totally agree with your comments - especially at 14, he will in all likelyhood be able to do these dives many times in the future so why load up on medication which may (or may not) cause problems during the dive? Why take the chance?

Good thinking about alternatives Matt. The dive will still be there next time. You have shown more maturity by not diving than a lot of older and supposedly more experienced divers would have.

Hey everyone, a little update here. Thanks to all of your guy's advice. After taking into account everything, I determined that I was healthy enough to to dive yesterday, I successfully reached 71 feet with minimal issues. I did experience a little bit of pressure, but that was alright, when I really watched my decent speed I would be fine. After two dives I did experience some moderate sinus squeeze, probably due to acending a little too quickly. Thank you guys for Your quick replies.

Also, the Dover on Sunday gave me some sinus infection med which she seemed to think I needed. It did help tremendously. I may have been possible that I had a minor sinus infection. Anyhoo I'm so happy I can dive now

PS sea horses are really cool

Well!! Seeing seahorses already? Hmpf, that's just not fair. :wink:

Good work buddy. Have a wonderful future. Dang, I'm jealous. I was much older than you when I first took up diving. You're not just going to get to see seahorses, the world is your oyster, so to speak. :)

Stay safe, and considering your approach to this situation, I believe you will. May you dive long and prosper!

Think of sinuses as a large cavity with a tiny hole in. The hole is lined with very responsive (think 'touchy') mucus membrane, meaning it can swell up fast. Of course the hole varies between individuals, just like the Eustachian tube for different people. The Eustachian tube is more like a floppy tub and is subject to positive pressure techniques. The sinus opening is not.
Think of trying to blow through a regular soda straw vs. through the tiny hole in those little red coffee stir sticks. Sure, air goes through both, but it takes a long time for the tiny hole like in the sinus. If you have sinus issues I've found that descending slowly to ~10-12', then just wait for several minutes for the air to move in. If you feel ANY pressure under the eyes, above the eyes, or even in the teeth > STOP. You are causing trauma, the membrane will swell up and start blocking a hole that is already pretty small. Once you equalize you can continue....slowly.....to depth. This makes ear clearing pretty easy too as you have plenty of time to deal with it and need to be paying close attention to your body and pressure input signals. This pretty much precludes deep fast drops. You can still do blue water drops but your buoyancy control needs to be stellar.

If you ignore these signals, which is easier to do than ear pain signals, then the trauma causes blood, mucus, serous seepage, and some now compressed air into the sinus space. This makes a gooey mess, but it fills up the space and keeps your head from imploding.
The opening is now traumatized and swells closed. On the ascent the air expands and now is trying to push the gunk out the swollen shut hole. Of course its thicker than air so it has a lot of trouble getting out.
>>>>>Welcome to reverse block<<<<<<<
The only thing you can do at this point is try to relax, slow way, way, way down and ascend as pressure and pain will allow. If you are gentle it can push open the swollen shut opening and release the pressure but it takes awhile.This situation can be physically and emotionally difficult.

The better option is to descend so slowly you never traumatize anything. This allows for a normal slow ascent, at least it does for me and I've been doing it this way for years. I have never done a fast ascent, I make sure I don't have to, so I don't know how that would go with my kind of sinuses. I hope to never have to find out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom