Weird Sinus/Equalization Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim4911

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello. I am in Bonaire and having a strange sinus/equalizing issue. Hope someone can help, so I (maybe) don't have to stop diving for this entire trip or can avoid injury.

For the last couple of weeks, I was freediving in Curacao, with plans to then travel to Bonaire and scuba dive. After going out freediving with an instructor, I decided to practice some shallow (<8m) dives on my own (with a trained friend doing a safety check) to work on issues with my form. One day, I did a lot of these shallow dives (maybe ~25) and had no issue. Then the next day, I decided to do just a few dives, and I developed intense pain in my left upper sinus (above eye). I know how to equalize and was doing so frequently. The pain was minor on my first dive then intense on my second dive, and it persisted for 30 minutes after I surfaced and only got better after I took ibuprofen and applied ice to the sinus.

I rested for a couple of days and then did two more shallow dives, and the same issue repeated itself. So I decided to take off 6 days from diving. Today, in Bonaire, I dived for the first time since I had the problem. I first did two dives free immersion (head down) to ~8m, and I felt some pressure and very mild discomfort in the sinus. I decided to switch to feet first dives, and I did not experience much issue while diving (except maybe a little sinus pressure while ascending). However, when I came out of the water, I had a moderate ache in the left maxillary sinus (under the eye) for about an hour.

Here is where it gets kinda weird. Some hours later, I was watching videos about equalization on my computer, and I decided to practice (dry, of course) along with the videos. While doing so, I developed a splitting pain in the left maxillary sinus, which only went away with ibuprofen and ice.

Anyone have any idea what is happening and how to treat it? It cannot be underwater pressure alone causing this, because I got very severe pain when equalizing above the surface. I have no symptoms of a sinus infection (congestion, etc.). It would be sad to leave Bonaire without diving.

Anyone have any idea what is happening and how to treat it? It cannot be underwater pressure alone causing this, because I got very severe pain when equalizing above the surface. I have no symptoms of a sinus infection (congestion, etc.). It would be sad to leave Bonaire without diving.
Are you prone to migraines by any chance?

I had something similar occur after a long-ass flight and diving the following morning. I saw a doctor that very day and he had suggested that the localized pain -- like a galvanized nail through my cheek -- along with a touch of vertigo, was migrainous in nature.

He gave be thirty tablets of Equagesic, years ago -- meds rumored to have contributed to the death of Bruce Lee . . .

From your description it sounds like you've been doing things right, except maybe purely with benefit of hindsight your sinuses might have needed 7 to 10 days instead of the 6 days you took off? If you haven't tried a neti pot you might try that, but that might also cause more irritation... Only you know your own body but I would probably start off with seeing a doctor to rule out non-diving issues ranging from migraines to sinus cancer. (Odds of it being sinus cancer are very slim but still worth it to rule that possibility out...) and then if that doesn't find an answer find a DAN recommended doctor familiar with health issues unique to diving.

Are you prone to migraines by any chance?

I had something similar occur after a long-ass flight and diving the following morning. I saw a doctor that very day and he had suggested that the localized pain -- like a galvanized nail through my cheek -- along with a touch of vertigo, was migrainous in nature.

Gave be thirty tablets of Equagesic, years ago, meds rumored to have contributed to the death of Bruce Lee's . . .
I am not prone to migraines. I do tend to get mild sinus headaches every so often in daily life, which I treat with ibuprofen or tylenol. I had a septoplasty in October, but the ENT assured me I was completely fine to scuba or freedive on my followup visit two weeks after surgery. I do have an appointment to get the sinus scoped with the same ENT in late January.

I do have an appointment to get the sinus scoped with the same ENT in late January.
I'm not a doctor but please don't hesitate to get a second opinion (not to overshare on completely peripheral issue, but i was misdiagnosed on a serious health issue for ~4 years, between 3rd and 7th grade, and a second opinion put me on the path to getting better...)

Hello. I am in Bonaire and having a strange sinus/equalizing issue. Hope someone can help, so I (maybe) don't have to stop diving for this entire trip or can avoid injury.

For the last couple of weeks, I was freediving in Curacao, with plans to then travel to Bonaire and scuba dive. After going out freediving with an instructor, I decided to practice some shallow (<8m) dives on my own (with a trained friend doing a safety check) to work on issues with my form. One day, I did a lot of these shallow dives (maybe ~25) and had no issue. Then the next day, I decided to do just a few dives, and I developed intense pain in my left upper sinus (above eye). I know how to equalize and was doing so frequently. The pain was minor on my first dive then intense on my second dive, and it persisted for 30 minutes after I surfaced and only got better after I took ibuprofen and applied ice to the sinus.

I rested for a couple of days and then did two more shallow dives, and the same issue repeated itself. So I decided to take off 6 days from diving. Today, in Bonaire, I dived for the first time since I had the problem. I first did two dives free immersion (head down) to ~8m, and I felt some pressure and very mild discomfort in the sinus. I decided to switch to feet first dives, and I did not experience much issue while diving (except maybe a little sinus pressure while ascending). However, when I came out of the water, I had a moderate ache in the left maxillary sinus (under the eye) for about an hour.

Here is where it gets kinda weird. Some hours later, I was watching videos about equalization on my computer, and I decided to practice (dry, of course) along with the videos. While doing so, I developed a splitting pain in the left maxillary sinus, which only went away with ibuprofen and ice.

Hello @Jim4911 ,

The weird part doesn't sound weird at all. You probably forced air into an already inflamed sinus, where it became entrapped. Sinus inflammation can take quite a while to resolve as @GiraffeMarineSalvage alluded to above. I would recommend that you not dive again on this trip (sorry!). If you do the same thing under water as you did on the surface and force air into the sinus, it could result in severe reverse sinus barotrauma on ascent.

Best regards,
DDM

Hello @Jim4911 ,

The weird part doesn't sound weird at all. You probably forced air into an already inflamed sinus, where it became entrapped. Sinus inflammation can take quite a while to resolve as @GiraffeMarineSalvage alluded to above. I would recommend that you not dive again on this trip (sorry!). If you do the same thing under water as you did on the surface and force air into the sinus, it could result in severe reverse sinus barotrauma on ascent.

Best regards,
DDM
Thank you. I saw a doctor today and that was what he recommended.

Did you create a new account to reply?
Sorry, I could not get into my account (password issue and reset email not being sent), and I created a new one. It stayed logged in and I replied with it, without realizing it. Now I'm into the old account. I apologize for the confusion.

Sorry, I could not get into my account (password issue and reset email not being sent), and I created a new one. It stayed logged in and I replied with it, without realizing it. Now I'm into the old account. I apologize for the confusion.
Haha no worries. Just seemed odd some other name was responding like that. Glad you were able to see a doc and hopefully get this all cleared up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom