Compass Preference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think the sk8 got thw worst wirst strap ever. i swap it for bungee much better wear it on my hand, having the loop passing by my fingers it s stay firmly in place.

Hand mount seems good until you have to do any work with a light.

I wear my compass on my right hand. Light on my left. If I need to take the light off my left hand, it's held by my right thumb or clipped off. I can't remember ever needing to actually "don" (if you will) the light onto the back of my right hand.

So here it is a few quick speakings by Gary Gentile from his Advanced wreck manual

002 (2).jpg

003 (5).jpg

I feel privileged to be in such stupidly esteemed company, but what I find more stupid is the
dive professionals on boats despite understanding that it's possible still poo pah the idea of it
actually happening the couple of times I have bothered to mention it in front of the customers

It's not just about the talking, it's about the listening and the learning

Just got a new compass that I want to hand mount, does someone have a photo of the bungee routing for a hand mounted compass? Finally got tired of the retractable headache.

Just got a new compass that I want to hand mount, does someone have a photo of the bungee routing for a hand mounted compass? Finally got tired of the retractable headache.
Sure you want to hand mount it? I find it much more convenient to mount it to my left wrist, keeping my left hand free for a light.
1723481620072.png

Regardless, you're just connecting the diagonals underneath your hand or wrist, a few different ways to route the bungee with no wrong answers.

Here's one way to route it:

Sure you want to hand mount it? I find it much more convenient to mount it to my left wrist, keeping my left hand free for a light.

I mount my compass on the back of my right hand. If I am using a light with a Goodman handle, I put it on my left hand. Thus, hand mounting my compass is never an issue whatsoever. I can hold a light in either hand.

Regardless, you're just connecting the diagonals underneath your hand or wrist, a few different ways to route the bungee with no wrong answers.

Here's one way to route it:

That is exactly how I don't do it. LOL :wink:

I mount mine the way @buddhasummer shows here:

I use two separate loops of bungee. One loop is small and a fixed size. It goes over the first two fingers of my right hand.

The other loop is tied with a sliding (Fishman) knot, so the size can be adjusted. That loop goes around my wrist.

I mount my compass on the back of my right hand. If I am using a light with a Goodman handle, I put it on my left hand. Thus, hand mounting my compass is never an issue whatsoever. I can hold a light in either hand.

That is exactly how I don't do it. LOL :wink:

I mount mine the way @buddhasummer shows here:

I use two separate loops of bungee. One loop is small and a fixed size. It goes over the first two fingers of my right hand.

The other loop is tied with a sliding (Fishman) knot, so the size can be adjusted. That loop goes around my wrist.
I'm sure I'd do it the exact same way you are if I were wearing it on my right hand, that makes a lot of sense.
I use a single bungie so one loop can borrow slack from the other, makes it easier to get it over my glove rings to get it on my wrist.

Aw man but I am famous, in my own mind, for my my fat stiff dump string

Yes, but I love your shiny SP DIN-converted Mk10's and Balanced Adjustables (156)!

Did I tell you about the guy that told me, I needed a knob to find the string
I resisted in telling him that I usually find the fat string after I find the dump

Did you see the BRASS din wheels

So now I have to work out what I'm going to do with these

022.JPG

I know, I will get rid of the set in those hoses, starting with the easy one here

026.JPG

I'm sure I'd do it the exact same way you are if I were wearing it on my right hand, that makes a lot of sense.
I use a single bungie so one loop can borrow slack from the other, makes it easier to get it over my glove rings to get it on my wrist.

Over your glove rings?

The wrist loop on mine goes just to my wrist itself. It does not reach over/past dry glove rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom