Compass Preference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thread necro, but whatever.

Mine is a console mount on my computer and I am quite fond of it

Yeah me too if that's what you mean, and I get them from my local AliExpress shop

385 035.JPG

Do you like my fat stiff dump string

Wish Suunto had the option to pick bezel color combo, but they don't.

What about the other Suunto, Suuntosuki

I have an Oceanic DataPro console with a compass and I prefer it over a compass on my wrist.

Not cool man, it has to be available to losing leaving on the boating, time costing and if too tight dcs causing
and also getting in the way of dressing poking and everything else just like all the other cool wrist diving stuff

Where they can't be properly read

Reactions: BRT
Almost everybody recommended the bungee mount - but what’s wrong with a a regular wrist strap? I have the SK8 and it comes with a bungee kit in the box. (Why) should I switch to it?

Any variant out there that isn’t designed for side viewing, and hence has degree markings that are not 180 degrees out of phase when viewed from above?
I’m afraid I didn’t quiet get the “out-of-phase” angle - can somebody explain?

Thanks

Almost everybody recommended the bungee mount - but what’s wrong with a a regular wrist strap? I have the SK8 and it comes with a bungee kit in the box. (Why) should I switch to it?

A bungee mount lets you put it on the back of your hand, instead of your wrist. I find it a lot easier to use it for navigation like that. One bungee loop around your wrist. One loop around your first two fingers. Compass sits on the back of your hand. It is far easier to turn it so the lubber line points straight in front of you that way.

I’m afraid I didn’t quiet get the “out-of-phase” angle - can somebody explain?

Thanks

A normal dive compass has a window on the side. If you are facing north and look through the side window, it will show a heading of 0 degrees (i.e. North). But that means if you look down at it from above, the N and arrow are pointing north (i.e. away from you), but the degrees markings will show 0 on the side closest to you (as that is what you see through the side window).

A good thing about the regular wrist strap, as opposed to bungee for the uninitiated
is that only the bungee can be pushed too far up your arm stopping the flow of fluid
and causing DCS

Well disguised as general arm and shoulder pain, and excused as having overexerted

A good thing about the regular wrist strap, as opposed to bungee for the uninitiated
is that only the bungee can be pushed too far up your arm stopping the flow of fluid
and causing DCS

Well disguised as general arm and shoulder pain, and excused as having overexerted
Ridiculous scenario. Anyone dumb enough to tourniquet their arm in such a way should maybe stay home. Plus, the same idiotic problem could be achieved with a long wrist strap, maybe even more so. You may as well eschew regulator hoses on the basis they have the potential to strangle the diver.

You can have your scenarios but I only present proven facts things I've witnessed as a cautionary tale from
people with tingly-numb arms whispering, refusing oxygen, as they don't want to be barred from the boat

Does happen did happen has happened will happen again on more than many occasions
you're deeper suit compresses, your bungee gets loose, distracted just push the gauge up
and leave the gauge there it's not that tight you're busy rough ocean doing deco and bang
soon after you take your gauges off, as the nitrogen escapes out of your hand wrist and arm

Unlike a plastic wrist strap that can only be pushed up so far and does not cut in like bungee

Gary Gentile, in wreck guide talks about a bad episode he suffered, regarding lymphatic fluid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom