Classic mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update-- few days ago, received an EMail saying that the mask had been shipped. Must have been back ordered!
Pesky

The French mask has arrived in good condition, delivered by DHL. It is a Champion identical to the mask sold in the 1950's. The fine beveled edge of the skirt is the type once favored by dry suit divers. Back in the day, air was blown from the mask under the hood of the Cousteau Constant Volume suit, eg to inflate the suit. This type of edge is not as comfortable as the old standby, the Healthways mask of similar vintage (Japan). However, the Champion will seal on a three day growth and not everyone can make that claim. The strap is rather flimsy but stretchy. Buckles are stainless, the reliable and easy to use, traditional kind. SOP is to strap the mask to a SCUBA tank to straighten out the waves in the sealing edge of the skirt.

I have a blue Healthways from the 50s and it is made in France, says so on the rubber and on the beautiful box it came in. It is my current favorite. I had a Haelthways purchased at Montgomery Wards and it was softer and lower volume, it was my best ever until a few years ago some clutz stepped on it.
We really do need a modern silicone low volume wide vision and classic low volume ovals like they used to make, yellow, blue, black, clear, soft, with pockets and a classic stainless clamp ring and bolt. Using a brand new Mares X vision I find it no more comfortable and only slightly better vision range than a good oval. The Dacor oval is one of the better, I have one but it is not a low volume design.

Pictures of the new mask please? N

Hi, Guys,
thanks for the input.
James, the tank thing doesn't always work but it is worth a try.
Nemrod, sure, I'll insert a pic as soon as I can. About the desirability of oval masks. Maybe it's me, but the things are just so darn comfortable and naturally easy to use. The best of these were possibly the Dacor. During the 70's, they lead the trend to slanted lens, the upper skirt was shorter than the lower. The Champion is more like, well, tunnel vision, and that is due to the long skirt, a design which provides impeccable sealing for almost any man's face. Now, to start the tedious process of cleaning and anti fogging the lens. Gad, I detest that.

I have some ovals with the slanted lenses (slanting up), but I have always prefered my straight-on lensed ovals because I found the upward slant makes looking down at my gear more difficult. I can adjust and manipulate my gear by feel, but it is always nice to be able to see what you're doing.
Can't wait to see the picture(s).

Yes,me too Duckbill, I prefer the straight ones. The Dacor slants up and back and reduces down vision. I have owned ovals with very low volume. Of course, they kinda touched my nose but there were some very low volume ovals around. Have y'all noticed how easy an oval mask is to clear and keep defogged. My X vision and similar masks are nice but you cannot swish them with water the way you can an oval. maybe it is time the practical oval is rediscovered. N

Captain, yes. The "Senior Securit" is the mask I ordered. I received a "Champion". Same thing, I guess. Looks the same. It was a big deal, like a couple of $15 phone calls and several E mails, to discover that the mask is not available in the US. The search, and eventually shipping, cost three times the price of the mask.

Back
Top Bottom