Trip Report West Maui Shore Diving August 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do give thought to how you will secure your belongings while shore diving -- especially your rental car key fob, driver's license, and cash.
I splurged on a DRYFOB since I was going to spend a few weeks in Bonaire after my Maui trip and had heard the petty crime from vehicles can be quite pervasive there. I also read of some folks using a spare/ old torch (just take the batteries out). The DRYFOB worked well for me and I didn't have any floods. Note though that I couldn't fit a credit card in it (maybe a plastic one could bend a little to fit but metal cards won't fit), but it did fit the car key fob and some cash just fine.

Editing to add that the type of cars I usually rent are very basic, some might even say a little run down. That is to say, in a parking lot full of vehicles I expect thieves will think less about bothering my car versus other types of cars that tourists often rent.

As to vehicle security, I rent from Manaloha so the cars I get don't scream "expensive stuff here." They are typically older and don't have smart keys either, so I will secure mine in a small dry bag under my wetsuit. Don't really need the insulation there, but I love jellies and will hang out with them minimally stung.

My parents' live in Wailuku so I usually hit the Makena/Mala area but want to expand outward.

Great trip report.

In many years of diving there my experience: South Maui boat dives are very expensive, and not the best diving. Shore dive it if you can. If you have dove a lot in the Pacific, Molokini Crater is pretty blah on most days, but they make it sound a lot better than it is as the business is important.

South side shore dives I most love: Ahihi (pay $5 to park, bit of a long walk in) max coral depth of 25' unless you dig, very healthy, no fishing allowed, lots of small fish, color color color. Makena Landing, everyone guides DSDs and OWs there, but still a lot of fun; three caves, sharks, turtles, octopus, fish, etc.

Five Graves is diving the other side of Makena Landing, from the west, ask someone where the entry is (by the graves), there is a small path to a narrow inlet, and two more caves. If you are good on air you can connect the two dives, probably 90 min but we usually use the smaller 80s.

Also White Rock and Ulua are both good S side dives. Ulua at night is really easy and great. On West Maui don't miss Mala Wharf, you can get tanks and weight just around the corner. Sharks, more turtles than you can count, octopus, eel, and tons of color and smaller fish. Also Black Rock (if you can find a parking spot) and Old Airport (when the shore break is small) are both good. The only boat dive on Maui I highly recommend is Cathedrals (2 tank day trip out to Lanai): If you can, do it.

I just purchased my families tickets to go out to Maui this upcoming July. It’s going to be my first dive trip with my daughter as my dive partner.

I believe it’s Maui diving that rents tanks for 10$ a day each. So two shore dives for me and the kiddo is $40. $5 each for weights. So $50 for us to shore dive on our own all morning? That’s the cheapest thing we’ll do on the island.

I just purchased my families tickets to go out to Maui this upcoming July. It’s going to be my first dive trip with my daughter as my dive partner.

I believe it’s Maui diving that rents tanks for 10$ a day each. So two shore dives for me and the kiddo is $40. $5 each for weights. So $50 for us to shore dive on our own all morning? That’s the cheapest thing we’ll do on the island.
What is great about July is you won't have wind, rain and surf days, like happen in winter. Enjoy!
Also most dive shops on Maui has tanks/weights for $15 or so, so rent where is closest to you and the dive site. You will need a diver float and weighted reel as well, I bought one years ago and fly with it (only weighs 1.5 #, but you can rent as well.

What is great about July is you won't have wind, rain and surf days, like happen in winter. Enjoy!
Also most dive shops on Maui has tanks/weights for $15 or so, so rent where is closest to you and the dive site. You will need a diver float and weighted reel as well, I bought one years ago and fly with it (only weighs 1.5 #, but you can rent as well.

I have a float/flag and reel to travel with our gear, but thanks for watching out.

We stay just north of ka’anapali. Looking forward to airport beach, mala, and honolua bay.

Thanks for sharing your dive experience Regulated. I'm taking my family to Maui in June. Staying in Lahaina and planning on diving with Lahaina divers based on a recommendation from a friend. Plan is a boat dive to Molokini and shore dive "turtle reef" which is the old sunken pier in Lahaina with my son. I will check out dive with Harmony too.

The sunken pier you’re referring to is mala warf (pier).

I believe turtle town (reef) is off Olowalu beach.

There are a bunch of turtles off mala, so it’s always worth a dive. It’s on my short list for my trip this July.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom