Trip Report West Maui Shore Diving August 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regulated

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My first trip report. That is because I just concluded a 26-year surface interval! Reactivated my PADI AOW cert in preparation for a family vacation to West Maui. All new gear including SW Peregrine, SP reg and SP BCD.

We flew Southwest nonstop from Long Beach to Kahului on points. Smooth flight, 5 hours. Rented an SUV through Turo and 3 BR condo in Kahana (north of Kaanapali) through VRBO. Both were good choices. No Covid nonsense of any kind.

I had read good reports on Dive With Harmony here:

Trip Report - Best shore diving outfit in West Maui

Shore diving in Maui appealed to me, as a returning diver with shore diving experience in SoCal back in the day. I called and talked with Harmony. We arranged in advance for three 2-tank dives, two mornings and one twilight/night dive. Very reasonable price, especially for Hawaii, and they limit each group to 4 divers max. DWH provides weights and tanks, and would have provided all necessary gear had I needed it. They use aluminum 80s, which are filled to > 3000 PSI with air. VIPs and hydros were all current. Some O-rings were a little crusty, but no issues. They have smaller tanks available for smaller divers too.

Harmony is getting ready to open a shop in Lahaina soon. Her compressor just arrived! For now, it is a boutique operation focused on shore diving and great service. Sadly, local politics has them frozen out of the Mala Pier site for now. Yet there are plenty of other fine spots for diving in West Maui.

Do give thought to how you will secure your belongings while shore diving -- especially your rental car key fob, driver's license, and cash. Reportedly, there are occasional car burglaries. The DM will lock your dry stuff in the camper shell, yet... And bring hard-soled booties. I used some Maui Jim aqua shoes that I brought from home. Perfect.

Honolua Bay. First day's dives were 1:1 with DM Dillon, Harmony's partner. A bit of luck for me. Dillon is a chill and endlessly patient guy who inspires confidence. He had selected Honalua Bay, a marine preserve, to the north of Kahana. The site is accessed from a tiny roadside parking area with porta-potties (arrive before 7:30 am) via a rustic 1/4-mile trail. Rocky shore. Favorite site of the many snorkel boats, though we beat them to the water. We geared up at Dillon's truck, which was much nearer the site than "normal" people get to park. I wore a 1 mm skin, which was perfect for the 79 degree water and my natural insulation. Dillon is skinny so he wore a 3 mm wetsuit. He explained later that the water here is a couple of degrees cooler than elsewhere due to freshwater springs that percolate though the bottom. We loaded weights into my BC based on my calculations from the reactivation pool session and Dillon's experience, briefed the dive, then walked over smooth rocks to the water. Waded in, kicked out and dropped down. Like riding a bike, underwater. We went toward the right on the first dive. No camera -- I wanted to focus on skills. Nice patch reef and coral mounds. Max depth 36', visibility 40-50', time 58 minutes. Turtles, schooling fish, pairs of butterflies of various species, solitary triggers including Humuhumu, Hawaiian cleaner wrasses and bigger wrasses, Moorish idols, several species of tangs, Potter's angelfish, the endemic Maui Dascyllus damsels, and so on. Lovely, no drama, and so great to be back in the water. Second dive was to the left. Different and more interesting topography, including a lava rock wall encrusted with coral. Overall, better coral formations. Many fish and more turtles. Saw a pretty juvenile Hawaiian hogfish - wish I'd had a camera! Max depth 38', viz 40-50', time 60 minutes. Delightful.

Kehekili (AKA Airport Beach). This sandy beach in Kaanapali, south of Kahana and north of Lahaina, is the former site of Maui's airport (until 1986). It is also a marine preserve and a favored site for snorkelers and OW dive students. There is ample free parking adjacent to the Westin hotel until 8:00 am on weekends, even later on weekdays, in the "beach access" lot. With shade! And nice, well maintained bathrooms!! There is a grassy area above the beach where you can minimize the acquisition of sand if you decide to go hang out there. Met Dillon at 7:30, joined by a couple from Chicago who were repeat clients -- a good sign. Reduced weight by 2 pounds from the first day. We dove the inner reef first, mostly flats and patch reefs, with so many fish it felt like swimming in an aquarium. Viz was 50-70', temp 81, max depth 43', time 56 minutes. Various reef fish, morays, turtles. We considered driving to another site, and then Dillon suggested that since we three were all AOW divers, we could stay there and go deeper at the same site. Works for me. We kicked out and dropped down in 40' of water, finned along the seagrass and sand on the bottom to the "Mermaid" -- a little statue at about 80'. Some different species of fish, and one of the 300 remaining hawkbill turtles, with her shell-mounted transmitter. We heard dolphins singing but did not see them. Many eels. I missed seeing the one octopus. There is no thermocline; temp at the deep end was the same as in the surf. Viz 50-70', temp 81, max depth 79', time 32 minutes. A really nice dive, and different from the shallow end. Happy happy.

Black Rock twilight and night dives. Black Rock is located at the Sheraton Kaanapali, about a mile south of Kehekili. There are a few free "beach access" parking spots in the structure about 100 yards from the staging area. Many have to pay to park in the hotel self-parking. I got lucky. Dave was our divemaster. Cool dude and very knowledgeable about critters. He knew the couple (same folks) from before. There is a bit of a hike wearing full gear from the traffic circle down to the sandy entry at the north end of Black Rock. The usual plan is to dive north to south around the point and exit on the hotel beach. That is what we did for the twilight dive. It is pretty shallow for much of the dive, say 15-20' as you go around the wall, so your buoyancy control must be sharp. Current is variable and can switch at the point. Dave is not nannyish -- once he saw we were OK in the water, he led the dive yet let us do our thing. We were greeted right away by an eagle ray and some turtles, then a dense school of ulua who were swimming opposite a similar-sized school of striped goatfish. So Cousteau! Some morays, Dascyllus damsels, wrasses, triggers, butterflies, and so on. Very rugged topography, though shallow. Mild current. The longnose butterflies were getting ready for bed, cozying upside down under ledges with dorsal spines exposed, and darkening from their daytime yellow to nighttime brown. We took a side trip across the sand and seagrass to a really cool coral pinnacle at 35'. Idyllic, with many happy fish. Some different species including Heniochus butterflies and a tiny lionfish. We cruised back over the coral structures and on to the beach, where we surfaced among some very surprised hotel guests. Viz 50-70', temp 81, max depth 36', time 53 minutes. Preparing for the night dive, we had some gear issues related to a blown O-ring on one diver's AI transmitter. Dave made a call. Harmony brought a spare O-ring and an HP port plug in about 15 minutes, which saved his dive. Extraordinary service and really nice to meet her in person. The night dive was fabulous. Pitch black, punctuated only by our lights. Same terrain, different critters. We saw a big and somewhat annoyed octopus, free-swimming squid, spiny lobsters, a big conger eel with the catch of the day in his mouth. Big crab feasting on an urchin. Sleepy turtles. Many prowling eels! Slipper lobster, sponge crab, nudibranchs, sleeping reef fish. Much more, too much to process. We reversed course at the point due to current, enjoyed the sights, and exited to the north right where we had started. Best dive of the week and a worthy culmination to my re-entry into the sport. Max depth 33', time 59 minutes. Love love love. Biggest issue post-dive is where to rinse off the very clingy Maui coral sand. There is a shower at the hotel scuba shack that is useful for that purpose. Staying in a condo rather than a hotel was a smart move -- no one says a word when you haul your rig inside.

All in all, perfect for getting my sea legs back. Next time, I'll do a mix of shore and boat diving. I was very pleased with Harmony's small operation. They care about divers and the marine environment, and it shows.

Here's the site I didn't get to dive --- Mala pier (photo is copyright 2022):

IMG_8904.jpeg

Great report. I also used Maui shore diving as my re-entry in March, after a 24 year surface interval. I was supposed to do Mala and Black Rock, but the conditions were so bad at the time that we ended up doing Mala twice - which was just fine. Shame you didn't get to do it, I've read that there is some animosity about all the diving there. I still did snorkeling around Black Rock from our condo on Kaanapali Beach. Going back again next March and planning on some boat dives.

Allow me to add a few shoreside observations that may make your Maui trip smoother or more enjoyable.

Airlines: Get Global Entry or TSA Pre-check. It will save you endless hours in line. There are state agriculture inspections of both checked and carry-on bags, in addition to TSA. Southwest, Hawaiian and the usual suspects fly to Kahului (OGG) nonstop from various locations. Otherwise, you may have to fly into Honolulu (HNL) and change planes for the inter-island flight. HNL is immense, just sayin'. Not quite Heathrow size, but plenty big. At times with preplanning, fares are super-low. If you purchase with points, you may be able to cancel or rebook without penalty. Our family of 5 flew on Southwest points at an advertised fare of $200 RT each. Of course, we booked in April for an August trip. No airline affiliation. Food at the airport is egregiously pricey. But you are kind of stuck, as you can't get past the agriculture inspections with certain items. There are water dispensers; save your empty water bottle and refill it near the gate.

Travel insurance: I signed up for DAN membership and dive insurance, even though my health plan is well-represented in Hawai'i. I'm informed that there is only one chamber in HI and it is on Oahu. This implies that any case of DCS--however unlikely with shallower dive profiles--would have to be treated via low-altitude air evacuation via helicopter ($$$$). Please correct me if that is not true. Regarding regular travel insurance, I booked using a credit card that provides some level of trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage (Chase Sapphire, no affiliation). The biggest nonrefundable expense would have been the condo. For those who prefer "real" insurance and are willing to pay for it, there is an aggregator site that compares prices and coverages: travelinsurance.com. Again, no affiliation.

Accommodations: West Maui is a convenient base of operations for diving. As mentioned, our family of 5 preferred a 3BR low-rise condo to multiple hotel rooms, for obvious reasons. We booked through VRBO, which cost $499 more than it should have. (That is, we should have been savvy enough to book directly with the property manager.) The full rental fee is charged 30 days out and is nonrefundable. Anticipate some sleepless nights as departure date approaches. :/ Here are a couple of websites to help you with your search: www.gohawaii.com, www.mauiaccommodations.com.

Transportation: You definitely need a vehicle to get around, though any highway anywhere in Maui can become a bottleneck. Despite the potential risks of car "sharing" as opposed to "renting," I have gone exclusively with Turo for a couple of years now. Half the price of the majors, no waiting in line, no arriving to find that the minivan you reserved is not available, etc. Most often, you pick up and drop off in the airport parking lot. Downsides are that each "host" has certain idiosyncrasies, the Turo app is distracting with its frequent messages, and in case of accident, your credit card is unlikely to cover the deductible. However, your regular U.S. auto insurance is perfectly valid in Hawai'i. Unless you are an international traveler or don't have auto insurance that covers liability, collision and comprehensive, I personally see no reason to pay extra for Turo's insurance. Gasoline price was about the same between Costco and other stations in Kahului upon our return to the airport. Currently about $5.50/gallon for regular. We saw lots of hybrid minivans (36 mpg), but even more of those macho square Jeeps. Finally, those I've met who have driven the road to Hana say "don't."

Groceries: There is a Costco within spitting distance of the Kahului airport. Presuming that you will have a kitchen where you're staying, go there first to stock up on food and adult beverages. You will still wind up running to the busy Safeway in Lahaina later in the week. Use your phone number or discount card (which may have a different store brand name), or ask for a new one, to save 15% or so at Safeway or Foodland. Hawaii food prices are even more shocking than those on the mainland. Pineapples and mangos may be a little less. :)

Eats: We had most meals in the condo, as Mrs. Regulated enjoys cooking. (That explains my thermal-insulating layer.) Also, there were 5 of us. We did find two excellent little storefront places: Joey's in Napili, north of Kahana, and Miso Phat Sushi in Kahana. I think both have locations farther south. Lunch was $100 and dinner closer to $200 with no adult libations.

Weather: Maui is tropical. We ran the AC at 76 degrees to conserve energy and avoid temperature shocks when going from inside to outside. Rainfall varies by season and by location--each microclimate in the islands is distinct. Do your homework. The "winter" is sort of a slightly cooler, wetter, windier, more unpredictable, and surfier version of the "summer." In August, overnight lows were 75F, daytime highs 85F. The trade winds start up around 10-11 am and subside somewhat by evening. Several afternoons were annoyingly windy; we could see whitecaps from the condo. Best to dive in the morning and chill in the afternoon IMHO. The worthwhile exception, of course, was the twilight and night dive. Fortunately that day, we had only mild breezes. Gear dries fast in the blazing tropical sun (see below), though reasonably well in the less-humid interior with AC.

Blazing tropical sun: Take it seriously. You will burn in minutes, before you are aware of it. Polarized sunglasses give some degree of early warning, as you can see the sunburn happening, but by then it may be too late. Reef-safe sunblock, a hat, and long-sleeved rash guard are your friends.

Snorkeling: The going rate to rent basic snorkel gear for non-divers is $12 for 24 hours, or $42 for a week. Extra $3 a day for prescription mask. Snorkel Bob's has hegemony over all the islands; others exist too. They will provide a list of good sites. We snorkeled at Kapulua and Kehekili (Airport). Kapulua is for early risers. There is a small, paved beach-access lot that fills by 7:00 am. Airport has a bigger paved beach-access lot and a second, less-known gravel lot on the north end. Be sure to brief non-divers on respect for coral, critters and currents.

Aloha spirit: Be kind. You will find others, mostly, are too. Though if you're tightly wound like me, it may take the whole week to relax, just in time to head home with traces of that clingy coral sand in places you'd never expect. Safe travels!!

and one of the 300 remaining hawkbill turtles, with her shell-mounted transmitter.
Remaining? Are they in decline there? What happened to the rest?
Lunch was $100 and dinner closer to $200 with no adult libations.
Did that cover your family of 5? If so, cost per person doesn't sound as bad.

What led you guys to choose Maui? I've never been to Hawaii, and can't keep the place names straight. I've been under the impression the 'big island' may have the most stuff and might be the safest bet for a 1st timer, but Maui seems to get a lot of attention, too. Just wonder what the trade-offs are between the 2 destinations.

Remaining? Are they in decline there? What happened to the rest?
Yes, Hawksbills are critically endangered. About 80% decline in population over the last century. Hawai'i has one of 5 remaining populations. Hawksbill Turtle
Did that cover your family of 5? If so, cost per person doesn't sound as bad.
Yes, for 5 people. These are pretty casual joints - not fancy restaurants. Probably 1.5 - 2 x what we'd pay in SoCal for similar. YMMV!
What led you guys to choose Maui? I've never been to Hawaii, and can't keep the place names straight. I've been under the impression the 'big island' may have the most stuff and might be the safest bet for a 1st timer, but Maui seems to get a lot of attention, too. Just wonder what the trade-offs are between the 2 destinations.
Can't speak to scuba conditions on the Big Island of Hawai'i, the main island of Oahu, or laid-back Kauai. We have traveled to all of them and they all have their charms. We chose Maui for convenience due to an affordable nonstop flight. The last time we went, we stayed at a resort hotel in Wailea (South Maui) for a professional conference. We weren't too impressed; it felt too much like the fancy parts of SoCal. This time, we felt much more connected to island life and to the marine environment.

Each island has a windward and leeward side. Typically the north and east gets more rain (think lush greenery) and surf, while the south and west is drier and calmer. Oahu is famed for the city of Honolulu and Waikiki Beach, very urban and fast-paced. The rest of Oahu is more chill, though well-populated. The mostly-rural Big Island has airports at Kona (KOA) in the west and Hilo (ITO) in the east; we've only been to the relatively dry Kohala Coast, via Kona. Lovely Kauai has one airport in Lihue (LIH); rainy Princeville is in the north, sunny Poipu in the south. You can get from one climate zone to another pretty fast in a car.

I suggest perusing this website as a start: Go Hawaii

Aloha!

I love Hawaii and have been going since the 80's with my now wife of 30 years. I have the least experience diving in Oahu and the most in Maui with Kona in the middle. Kona pluses are the manta night dive, variety of shore and boat diving and the sheer size of the island and reefs. Downsides are size! It's a huge place and if you don't stay in Kona and boat dive, the driving to the sites can be quite far. If you stay closer to the shore diving, it's a long drive to the boat. Good food and drink options but to go see the volcanos is a two plus hour drive and you have to wait for 'safe to fly' time to elapse because of the altitude over the pass! Maui (and the west side of the island specifically) has a lot of diving options that are not crazy far away from each other. You can dive out of Lahaina and do the dives described in this thread, but also add in boat dives to Molokini crater for both reef and wall diving, Lanai diving for structure (cathedrals, shark fin rock), and Molokai for hammer heads. This is all without packing a bag or driving more than 15 minutes in the am to the dive shop in Lahaina for the boat. There are other operators to use, but I have the most experience with Lahaina divers. Downside is the boat rides can be far and a bit rough, and the dive times are capped at one hour. It's also a bit expensive compared to other places. Pluses are they are a well oiled machine that provide clean safe boats for the masses on a daily basis. If you stay on the southern end of the west side of Maui, there are another whole group of excellent shore dives and it's a much shorter hop out to molokini from the Mala boat ramp. You could easily spend a few days in both areas and have a great week of diving without much if any repeating. Kauai had some excellent dives for topography and turtles, we never made it over to the Nihei for diving but I hear it's excellent. Kauai is too sleepy for me and doesn't offer enough food and drink options for when I'm not diving. Maui is crowded and touristy, but you can get away from that and find some real good diving. Kona is awesome but be ready to drive.

Nearly all of my diving off maui has been with Lahaina divers. No one else in my family dives (until now) so I needed to insta buddy. I’ve dove molokini twice, lanai cathedrals once, mala several times, and honolua with lahina divers. Always a good experience, but it’s fairly rigid in how it goes. You get an hour (air permitting) max and you get lead around by a DM who is fairly chill about you looking around if you stay “close”. Very good vis gives you and your partner a long leash from the DM.

I’ve also done mala, honolua, and the house beach off of kaanapali beach club from the beach.

If you’re okay diving a new spot without a guide, or you’ve been there before, mala and honolua are very accessible from the beach.

I would also suspect the remaining dives on west Maui are also very accessible from the beach, but I don’t have first hand experience.

Molokini and any lanai dives you have to take a boat.

My family and I are going back out in July of 2023 and my newly minted Jr OW diver daughter will be my partner for 5 days of shore diving. It appears that tanks and weights are very affordable, so if you have your own gear shore diving may be the cheapest thing you do on the island.

It appears that tanks and weights are very affordable, so if you have your own gear shore diving may be the cheapest thing you do on the island.
In hindsight, renting tanks on Maui is incredibly affordable. We got a 10-tank punch card for $60, while recently in Bonaire it was ~$180 for a 15-tank card. That said, where we rented from in Maui (Maui Diving- Scuba & Snorkel Center) didn't include weights so that was a couple of extra bucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom