Classic mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been trying to purchase a Beuchat Senior Securit mask and encountered some problems. I contacted Beuchat, Fr. and the North American Distributor (Fitzwright) and they lead me on a wild goose chase. After many phone calls to various folks, Fitzwright admitted that the mask is not available in North America. The Securit is a classic, black rubber, oval glass model which I prefer for "vintage" dives. There is a shop in Bangkok that will ship the mask but I am still trying to figure out how to get the money to him. Looking at bank transfers, etc. The shop is run by an Aussie, I think, (no worries, mate) named Peter Waagensen. The storefront is Mermaids Scuba (dive@divesiteasia.net). I'll check in after this is concluded and let you all know what happened. Meanwhile, if anyone knows another source, let fly.

Thanks, Dave;
I did the DD and found your thread a couple days ago. Also, dropped an Email to Plongespace. I'll take a look at your find. At E18, the price is right.

Pleasure to help. Do let me know how you get on, and if French skills prove an issue, ask, because I teach the language!

On a general point, one of the things my online research taught me is that problems with the supply of "classic" items such as rubber fins, masks and snorkels usually lies with distribution rather than manfacture. Why, for example, does Scubapro only supply its excellent all-rubber full-foot "resort" fin to the American market and not to Europe? I guess the reason is that there's an assured trade in the American "rentals" market for such fins, while demand from European individualists like myself may be sporadic. That's judging things from a purely commercial perspective. From a personal perspective as a UK-based snorkeller, I resent my country being stereotyped as a cold-water diving venue by dogmatists who won't countenance the use of full-foot fins here despite the fact that such fins were the "propellers" of choice in GB back in the 1960s when I first learned to dive! I've never felt the need, or the desire, to "upgrade", so I guess I've become a "vintage" snorkeller by default. We all need something tried and tested to hold on to in this technological age where nothing stands still for very long.

Dave

I use full foot fins as often as the open heel type. Tests done by a University researcher , Jim Grier show that full foot fins are always a bit faster than their strap siblings. I like the Oceanic Caribe and Plana Avanti Tre for freediving. Prefer the Apollo Biofin open heel for tankin'.

http://www.ndsu.edu/instruct/grier/fins.html

Mask wise, my vintage face plate is a "Seamate", an older, classic style made in Japan. When travelling, I noticed that one could still buy the Champion mask in the Bahamas and elsewhere. I had used those in the 50's but went over to the Dacor faceplate which had a slanted lens. The top of the skirt is molded such that the glass is closer to the eyes. The Dacor gave up the ghost. At some point I woke up to the fact that one could no longer purchase the simple, oval mask in the US, unless found in vintage condition at a flea sale like EBay. That's where it stands, but the Seamate is not ideal; the rubber is kind of funny, it lasts forever but likes to take a set leaving various wrinkles and distortions in the feathered edge. So, I said, "no problem, if faceplates are sold overseas, I'll just order one from those guys. Heh.

I would really like to order online but there are some obstacles. Most of the French shops seem to want the customer to Email or phone them. I have fired off some mail and will phone if necessary. I would like to do this the simple way, over the net with a credit card. However, there have been some communication glitches so I don't take anything for granted at this point. The French language is a minor problem, after all French is like English with an accent or the reverse, not quite sure. I've been able to figure out how to Email them and understand some of the other web directions by clicking and seeing the result. However, the problem with Vieux Plongeur is intractable. Neither of my browsers, Explorer 6 or Netscape 7.2, will function on the site. I get error messages and fragmented images. Even the Email won't work for me. I'm wondering if I need a plug in or something. The other French sites come up readily and navigate OK but don't seem to offer on-line sales, weird. However, they are very well populated with Email, addresses, telephone numbers, locations, etc so I'm not dead in the water, still treading though.

If these guys respond in French I may be contacting you over PM.

Pesky

OK, the Vieux website is working now. The problem was on their end. Later, clickity click.

Scubaland Fr was quicker on their feet, uh, that is Monsieur Gilbert was quick to respond and gave me a hot link to the securit mask. The stated price was E20 but when I entered my address as "USA" the price (poof) dropped to E16.75. Add another E16.75 for shipping and the total price delivered doubles to about 40 bucks. Paid electronically by credit card. I'll check in here after I've received the item and examined it.
Pesky

I googled up the Scubapro Resort fin. It appears to be a copy of the original Cressi Rondine, a fin that was very popular in the US in the 1950's. The problem with the old Rondine was that the toe would tear out. We used to repair with liquid rubber (the black stuff).

I bet you would like the Oceanic Caribe. Gad, I wonder if it's available in GB? Gotta be......right? It's probably made in Italy. I'm too lazy to go to my locker and check right now.

I'm glad at least one enterprising French dealer proved eager for custom, Pesky. The price reduction is doubtless due to the removal of Value Added Tax (VAT), which is payable by citizens of the European Union. VAT can amount to quite hefty sums. In the UK it's 17.5%, much higher than US State purchase taxes. And when I order things from the States, I find nowadays that I'm charged quite a high rate of import excise duty by the UK post office before they will deliver the US goods.

Oceanic Caribe fins are indeed available for purchase here in the UK, priced around 25 pounds. Oceanic even has a UK website, and DiveBooty, a UK-based online scuba dealer is among several that sell the fins. I may give them a try, although I like the way my rubber full foot fins feel, fit and perform. I'm particularly fond of my Greek-made Balco Sprints, which are so comfortable due to their soft, wider fitting foot pockets. I hardly know I am wearing them when I snorkel in the North Sea, although they do what is necessary when it comes to propelling me in the leisurely way I like.

Yes, the Scubapro resort fins do look as though they are modelled on the older Cressi Rondines and yes, there is definitely a design flaw where the sides of the toe openings are. I guess every product as a weak spot! I do regret, though, that Cressi has now abandoned production of what was once its flagship product, the all-rubber full-foot open-toe fin. The latest model, the X-Rubber, is now only seen on ebay, and interestingly, on Japanese divers' websites too, e.g.:

http://higedura.cool.ne.jp/longfin4.html

So there are indeed, as you have discovered, lots of fans, and sources, of older-style equipment outside Europe and North America!

The Caribe has a "medium" width foot pocket so that may not work out. The fin is amazingly flexible and the blades warp transversly on the stroke creating a trough through the center line. This seems to provide good thrust with little effort, like pushing a split fin--for half the price. No gum rubber to be seen but some of the flex panels seem to made of a synthetic rubber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom