Looking for masks is overwhelming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richiet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So after passing my PADI Advanced and 35 dives, I've decided I should probably buy my own mask.

I normally just rent one, and I find the rental ones completely fine. Never really had a problem with one, even with a fairly large beard. But I go a lot and should probably buy one.

I'm just finding the options both underwhelming and overwhelming.

I live in Oman, and there are very few diving shops here. And very few with stock. Still, I've read here that trying it on is best.

Went around a few shops. They had a Beuchat one for $70, which is more than I wanted to spend. Seemed fine when I put it on. But surely it's impossible to tell until you actually get in the water how the seal is. I just didn't really know what I was looking for. The other shop had some generic models, but I'd be really happier with a brand.

I basically don't know what I'm looking for. Has anyone bought a mask online? Does that generally work out fine? Am I overthinking this?

I have always found masks one of those items that you will know you have a keeper the second you dive with it for the first time. As you said just cause it seems to fit out of water does not exactly ensure it will be 100% fine below the water. I have always ended up buying the exact same mask as much as possible. Once you find that perfect mask you will know straight away, and no most expensive is not always better. I found the best way is ask to try your dive mates masks for a quick snorkel next time your out diving. try as many types as you can. Then if you find one you like you can order online. Otherwise you may have to gamble and order online, I have several masks that are now just back up masks or loaner to mates masks because of this.

why not buy the same mask you rented? new of course. that way you know it fits and it doesn’t leak. masks are not one size fits all. a small frameless tropic is way smaller than a tusa freedom hd. some masks fit asians better or caucasian or African, etc etc etc

But surely it's impossible to tell until you actually get in the water how the seal is.
with a snorkel or other mouthpiece in your mouth, put the mask on without the strap and inhale gently. If it leaks air, it will leak water. If it seals, it should be good.

I just didn't really know what I was looking for. The other shop had some generic models, but I'd be really happier with a brand.
Why? The main difference with a brand is the markup. If it fits better, it is better, regardless of brand.

I basically don't know what I'm looking for. Has anyone bought a mask online? Does that generally work out fine? Am I overthinking this?
Actually, you do know what you are looking for. Buy a new copy of the mask you have been renting, you know it will fit. You can even buy it without trying it on, since you already have, and have even tested it on dives! I you have rented several models, just buy a new copy of the one you liked best!

The best mask I found was actually one of the cheapest, Reef tourer by Tusa, its made to fit anyone's face. It cost 25-30 dollars and comes with a very good snorkel. I have a big collection of maskes from 30-$150.

Reactions: OTF
Although everyone can make recommendations, everyone's face is different and unfortunately you will just have to bite the bullet and realize that you may have to rent, buy or borrow multiple models until you find the one that works for you. At least that's what happened to me. I have 3 high quality masks and I'll only use 1 of them.

Try an Oceanic Shadow.
It seems to be that the low volume frameless freediving style masks work the best for the general population.
I find that the closer you can get the glass to your eyeballs the better, it will give you a wider field of vision. Also, shave your facial hair off your cheek bone area and down below your nose for a better seal.

Speaking of Beuchat, the Maxlux S is pretty good and on the cheap side.
I got mine for about 30€ and used it as back-up until someone disappeared it from my basket...

My main is a Mares X-Vision ultra Liquid Skin, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner as your buddy or instructor would prefer to see your eyes underwater.

Cressi Sub Focus...nice low volume mask, comfortable silicone skirt. Inexpensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom