Mustache Divers Mask Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing extra needed at all. A proper fitting mask will seal nicely with a reg in your mouth. Yes, some water may enter, but you get the same thing with experience lines around your eyes. Don't trim anything, stubble leaks more than errant hairs. I clear my mask occasionally throughout the dive but that is generally because I move it doing a vassal clearing.

I don't shave or trim anything on my face to better seal my mask. My stache gets trimmed off my upper lip to prevent me chewing on it, but not away from my nose. Cheeks and burnsides are untouched.

Edit: fwiw I dive a Mares X-Vision
I thought my mask fit nicely but I really am starting to wonder now. Its also not the most comfortable and I dont have it drawn tight. I will try this new one. If my nose still floods constantly I will just live with it. As a new diver it is very unnerving having a flooded nose pocket almost constantly.

I thought my mask fit nicely but I really am starting to wonder now. Its also not the most comfortable and I dont have it drawn tight. I will try this new one. If my nose still floods constantly I will just live with it. As a new diver it is very unnerving having a flooded nose pocket almost constantly.
if you're in trim, flat and looking slightly forward, the stache will be your lowest point. Water can not flow up into the mask from there without air exiting from someplace a bit higher. When you try a mask you don't even need the strap on. Press it against your face and it should stay in place from the suction. Then place a reg or snorkel in your mouth. This will change the way your face is shaped and affect your mask seal substantially. If you find a mask that stays sealed with something in your mouth then that's your mask regardless of price. Some folks get away with a $30 mask, others are stuck with $100+ masks due to fit.

if you're in trim, flat and looking slightly forward, the stache will be your lowest point. Water can not flow up into the mask from there without air exiting from someplace a bit higher. When you try a mask you don't even need the strap on. Press it against your face and it should stay in place from the suction. Then place a reg or snorkel in your mouth. This will change the way your face is shaped and affect your mask seal substantially. If you find a mask that stays sealed with something in your mouth then that's your mask regardless of price. Some folks get away with a $30 mask, others are stuck with $100+ masks due to fit.

Just got the Atomic Venom Frameless in the mail. I did what you said about pushing it against my face and it doesnt stay in place at all. My Tusa Freedom Tri Quest doesnt either. When i inhale through my nose both seem to stay put.

With snorkel in mouth the Atomic seems to hold better than the Tusa. And the Atomic seems very comfortable just sticking it to my head and wearing it around.

You cannot buy a mask based on someone else's recommendation, everybody's face is different. Try on as many masks as possible with your regulator in your mouth and buy the one that fits the best. It doesn't matter what brand it is or how much it costs.
See if you can try a Mares mask, they have a liquid skin skirt which is a very soft silicone. They also have a X vision mid size, which is a bit smaller.

You cannot buy a mask based on someone else's recommendation, everybody's face is different. Try on as many masks as possible with your regulator in your mouth and buy the one that fits the best. It doesn't matter what brand it is or how much it costs. See if you can try a Mares mask, they have a liquid skin skirt which is a very soft silicone. Their X vision mask comes in a regular size and a mid size, which is a bit smaller.

I have a LDS who sells Mares. This Atomic is better than my Tusa. I tried on all the Tusas the shop had when I bought this one. Didnt realize I wasnt a huge fan of it until diving in Aruba. Beauty is the Atomic is returnable if I find something better.

These are the 2 masks I was referring to.
X-Vision Ultra diving mask two lens | Mares ( I have this one)

The Mid X vision doesn't have a Liquid skin skirt though.

Nothing extra needed at all. A proper fitting mask will seal nicely with a reg in your mouth. Yes, some water may enter, but you get the same thing with experience lines around your eyes. Don't trim anything, stubble leaks more than errant hairs. I clear my mask occasionally throughout the dive but that is generally because I move it doing a vassal clearing.

I don't shave or trim anything on my face to better seal my mask. My stache gets trimmed off my upper lip to prevent me chewing on it, but not away from my nose. Cheeks and burnsides are untouched.

Edit: fwiw I dive a Mares X-Vision
THIS! Too many are overthinking this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom