Mustache Divers Mask Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put some Burt's Bees wax on my stache to help with the seal. Works well for me.
I will try that to see if I can get 100% seal.

FWIW, I lived in Pennsylvania Dutch Country for years and I don't recall these bearded fellows ever complaining about leaky scuba masks.

IMG_0480.jpeg

I'm inclined to agree with an earlier post - I have a bristly mustache, don't shave it at all, no lube, and when I wear a mask that fits well and the strap is directly opposite (i.e., not near the top of my head or pulled down too far), and the right tightness, it stays dry as can be.

If I have the strap a bit off, or it's too tight or too loose, then I get leakage.

A good fitting mask, properly fitted and strapped shouldn't leak, even with facial hair.

I put silicone grease on my mustache when I had it. Vaseline is petroleum based, so it will degrade the silicone skirt on your mask.

This. Growing out the stache a little longer helps too. I tried trimming the top to skin but it made my mask skirt pull up against my nose uncomfortably. A light layer of regular o-ring silicone grease to the hair before gearing up works flawlessly for me all day. Keep it in my save a dive kit.

As others have mentioned, do not use any oil based lubricants (Vaseline, etc) as this can degrade the silicone based skirt.

Got to dive on the Atomic Venom Frameless today. Well it was a pool session where my buddy gave me a tank, wetsuit and BCD and said have fun for free. So I did. Watched the class some while floating at the bottom and swam some laps.

Anyway here is what is important. The mask is COMFORTABLE!!! The leaking has been reduced by probably 80%. I thought about tightening it a click more on each side but didnt. I love it. Field of view seems great too. Great recommendation!!!
Glad to hear. You should be able to fine tune it a bit more underwater, either tighter or looser. Sounds like with a bit of self tweaking, with what you have, you should have this aced. I don’t have to use any lube/wax with it adjusted properly. Hope you can find that sweet spot too.

Every few months there is a thread on SB asking about do moustached men keep their masks sealed. Without a 'stache, with a short one, with a bushy unkempt one, all I do is put my mask on.

I come across more unmoustached people that struggle with leaky masks than I do moustached people. In fact, I from all the people I've dived with over the years, I find people with long hair (especially fringes!) have a lot more problems with leaky masks.

So before blaming your leaks on the moustache, find the right mask! And yes, it might take trying a few different ones. Ask to borrow/try newish ones from friends - I say newish, because you want ones that are still readily available! Not much use borrowing a 20 year old that fits like a dream, but you can't buy a new one anymore!

When I find a mask I like, I usually buy 3 of them.

Define "leaky". I have an Atomic Venom just based on reading about those who are mustached. I get a little in when I'm doing stuff but nothing that's problematic. Is a little fine?! I think it's just because my noggin is so big or is there some sort of leak free zen I should strive for?

If I am going to be diving, I shave a tiny bit more just under my nose, trim the rest with a number two guard and, when I dive, I use just a little bit of vasoline. If you use the vasoline, go easy. A light coat works. You don’t need to gunk it on.

Last time I shaved my 'stache for a dive trip was a few years ago. I was a little disappointed that the mask still leaked a tad, and realized that my go-to mask wasn't sealing on the sides of my eye crease as well as I thought it was. I tried a lot of different masks, found one that works best (for me it's an xdeep radical low volume mask, not the same answer for everyone), and I get like zero water incursion whether I'm freshly shaved or rocking a big beautiful 'stache. I do trim the first couple mm under the nose, but mostly because I like the way it looks.

Pencil mustache.

Think John Waters.

That's how I've been rolling for years now. And if I let the five o-clock shadow build in the not pencil-y portion of my upper lip too much... drip, drip, drip.

Back
Top Bottom