Question Any one have a properly fitted mask in the store that leaks when in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My mask will take in water if:
1. I do not clean it (the skirt) regularly.
2. I do give my face a thorough cleansing before the dive.

This may sound strange, but if I place the mask strap anywhere but across my ears, my mask will leak. When placed across my ears, I rarely get any leakage. If you are placing yours above your ears, try pulling it down over them.

Anyway shallow sealing is hard, and you've just jumped in, temperature change, lots of things to do
as you descend press the mask evenly against your face, give it a couple of twists to seat it properly

to push all the extra air out, that is holding the mask away from your face

you know the pressure you feel when you don't equalise but not as much

This may sound strange, but if I place the mask strap anywhere but across my ears, my mask will leak. When placed across my ears, I rarely get any leakage. If you are placing yours above your ears, try pulling it down over them.
I have also found that if I have my mask strap too high on the back of my head, I get a leak.

The first mask I owned since 1994.
I thought it would be a good idea to purchase a new one for snorkeling mainly.
I don’t recall last summer how much my mask leaked.
This year, first time back in the water I’m noticing I’m clearing a lot. In examining the mask there appears to be a small ripped area along the silicone where it attaches to the lens . It aligns with the head strap and side I wear my snorkel on.
I do not recall catching the mask on anything. I checked my bag I keep the mask in looking for the small piece of silicone. The store employee mentioned clips. This tear seems to be in a place where there is a lip for a clip.
Anyone else have any similar experience?
He said nothing could be done as it’s not a manufacturing defect. I wish now I’d inspected the mask more clearly. $114. Down the drain.

Down the drain

I hope I am able to compensate for your loss

The first mask I owned since 1994.
I thought it would be a good idea to purchase a new one for snorkeling mainly.
I don’t recall last summer how much my mask leaked.
This year, first time back in the water I’m noticing I’m clearing a lot. In examining the mask there appears to be a small ripped area along the silicone where it attaches to the lens . It aligns with the head strap and side I wear my snorkel on.
I do not recall catching the mask on anything. I checked my bag I keep the mask in looking for the small piece of silicone. The store employee mentioned clips. This tear seems to be in a place where there is a lip for a clip.
Anyone else have any similar experience?
He said nothing could be done as it’s not a manufacturing defect. I wish now I’d inspected the mask more clearly. $114. Down the drain.
GE-II, Aquaseal, Flex-Seal, ...

Might be worth a try. Not much to lose.

Hold your mask softly to your face. Dont inhale. Gently slide it sideway so one side is flush with your temple. If there is a gap on the other side, the mask is too wide and you will get leaks around the eyes.
Too tight maskstrap can exascerbate this.
Good advice -- and if it touches at the temples but there's a gap at the forehead and/or the lip, it's too narrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom