Chloroquine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good points all. Thank you so much. I haven't seen any statistics on how many folks get malaria from traveling to roatan, but I think it's something like 14,000americans per year get malaria from traveling. I'm hoping that once I see my doctor i'll be armed with some info/comments from him that will convince my husband to take it. And true, you should know the week before your trip from that first dose if it's gonna make you nauseated or whatever. I think i'll take it at bedtime then it would be less likely to bother you maybe.

I went to a travel clinic and they prescribed Malarone (Atovaquone) instead. No side effects for me.

I start taking it 2 weeks in advance which is per optional instructions. No problems but I do take it after eating.

In the six years I lived on Roatan I was the lucky recipient of dengue fever twice, which as I understand is not that easy to do. It was the sickest I have ever been and I was absolutely positive though both times that I had a magic bed and everything would be ok. I was that sick. I didn't get the "break bone" feeling though, so maybe I got off light. It did however stick with me for a couple of weeks both times, mostly in the chest. Basically, you are simply very sick for about 6 to 7 days, then you are probably still very sick, just the slightest bit of feeling better is such a relief.
I never had malaria though. Never took the drugs. I am not sure what would be "stupid" about choosing not to take them.

I recall some really cool technicolor dreams the first couple of doses. I didn't find it a negative side effect at all :) Otherwise neither I nor the wife had any side effects. I would not hesitate to take it again. I wonder, for folks that did have negative side effects how soon did they present? If it's right from the first doses since you start it 2 weeks before leaving couldn't you give it a go and stop taking it if side effects persist?

I get gastric distress, so take it with dinner and it is out of my system before morning and I can dive in confidence.

I always take it when I travel to "at risk" areas.
I've never had any problems and feel the $3.00 co-pay is cheap insurance. Too many people think malaria is something that won't happen to them.

And taking anti-malarial medication isnt a guarantee you wont get it either.

I had a blood test recently and it had shown evidence that I had malaria in the past, even though I took the meds religiously.

I dont recall being deadly sick from it, but it was probably diagnosed as something else since it isnt common in the US.

It is all personal preferance. But for me it is good insurance. I got maybe 3 bites when we were there with none of them being mosquito bites. A combination of taking chloroquine and using deet is without doubt the most effective way to manage the risk of contracting malaria and mitigating chances of Denge. Chlorquine has been proven effective with minimal side effects and has been used for decades. It is still a personal decision, just make it an informed decision.

What was it like :confused:

Tremendous joint pain.
Except to crawl to the bathroom I didn't move for almost a week.
Lost 23 pounds.

Sore and fatigued for another two weeks or so after that!

My partner and I both take the Cloroquine, as we travel for a couple weeks at a time to our home on Roatan, not for months, where taking it for so long is ill advised, tough on your liver or kidney (I get those confused, but it's toxic on one for a long time). There is malaria on Roatan, as we have several friends who have had it. Although it's serious and should be treated, I have heard it does not have the same strength of the African malaria, which is more dangerous. I have never had side effects, and take it at night before bed. My partner has, a bit of dizziness, which is remedied by 1/2 of a Dramamine pill. So, bring some Dramamine. Remember, you start taking it before you leave. This is an anti-malaria pill, not a dengue pill, as there is no pill to deter dengue, as far as I know, just the DEET, which you take to deter the mosquitoes. I have heard that mosquitoes don't like the taste of your blood with vitamin B1 in your system so you can start taking that now. Others put on Avon Skin so Soft, and avoid scented skin applications (perfumed). Yet others wear long sleeves, and are particularly aware the mosquitoes are out when the sun starts going down, and wind is low, and apply extra DEET at that time. You can Google "how to avoid mosquito bites malaria" and find other ideas that might work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom