Diving after tiny dose of valium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently you don’t understand what homeopathic really means.
In medical slang, a homeopathic dose of a medication is a dose that borders on having no therapeutic value. A bit of a jab at what homeopathic "really" means:) Take it as you want, but I will make it clear to everyone. Just substitute "nearly sub-therapeutic" for "homeopathic" in my post.

In medical slang, a homeopathic dose of a medication is a dose that borders on having no therapeutic value. A bit of a jab at what homeopathic "really" means:) Take it as you want, but I will make it clear to everyone. Just substitute "nearly sub-therapeutic" for "homeopathic" in my post.
Doesn’t even “border”. It has zero trace of the original drug. The homeopathic solution is diluted to the point where it has zero therapeutic value. It enters into the world of quackery and magic.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: Zef
I’ve not bothered to weigh in about this because DDM has covered the medical opinion as well as I can. I will note that 1.25 mg of diazepam (Valium) is below any listed starting dose for an adult, so I wonder if there is more placebo affect than actual anti-anxiety affect. It’s also worth stating that generally side affects are also greatly linked to dose; the lower the dose the less likely/severe the side affects are.

Reality is that given the number of people who dive vs the prevalence of anxiety world wide I have no doubt there must be a subset of divers who are taking a benzodiazepine. It would appear that it is being done safely inspite of the increased risk. I also agree with the general notion that a well controlled behavioral health diagnosis should not preclude someone from diving or working as a dive professional.

Never the less, I also do not like the use of benzodiazepines in the treatment of anxiety. While I will prescribe a very few pills for a very short period of time in the setting of specific significant episodic stress/anxiety, I do not agree with the long term use of a benzo for anxiety. The risk of benzodiazepines is much greater when compared to the risk of other medications like SSRIs.

So, like many things in life, the answer is you have to make a decision for yourself and then live with the consequences. If someone asked me should they dive when taking Valium I would have a discussion about the risks like sedation, impaired motor skills, and impaired decision making that when diving can be catastrophic. I’d likely tell them I’d recommend not diving (or we can change meds so you can safely dive), but also acknowledge I’m being conservative and recognize not everyone would agree with my recommendation. For instance if you’ve been using this medication for years, likely driving without inicident for example, then the added risk when diving may be acceptable to you. It may not be acceptable to someone else. Such is life.

I’ve not bothered to weigh in about this because DDM has covered the medical opinion as well as I can. I will note that 1.25 mg of diazepam (Valium) is below any listed starting dose for an adult, so I wonder if there is more placebo affect than actual anti-anxiety affect. It’s also worth stating that generally side affects are also greatly linked to dose; the lower the dose the less likely/severe the side affects are.

Reality is that given the number of people who dive vs the prevalence of anxiety world wide I have no doubt there must be a subset of divers who are taking a benzodiazepine. It would appear that it is being done safely inspite of the increased risk. I also agree with the general notion that a well controlled behavioral health diagnosis should not preclude someone from diving or working as a dive professional.

Never the less, I also do not like the use of benzodiazepines in the treatment of anxiety. While I will prescribe a very few pills for a very short period of time in the setting of specific significant episodic stress/anxiety, I do not agree with the long term use of a benzo for anxiety. The risk of benzodiazepines is much greater when compared to the risk of other medications like SSRIs.

So, like many things in life, the answer is you have to make a decision for yourself and then live with the consequences. If someone asked me should they dive when taking Valium I would have a discussion about the risks like sedation, impaired motor skills, and impaired decision making that when diving can be catastrophic. I’d likely tell them I’d recommend not diving (or we can change meds so you can safely dive), but also acknowledge I’m being conservative and recognize not everyone would agree with my recommendation. For instance if you’ve been using this medication for years, likely driving without inicident for example, then the added risk when diving may be acceptable to you. It may not be acceptable to someone else. Such is life.
What would you prescribe that would be better suited for diving and still be effective?

What would you prescribe that would be better suited for diving and still be effective?

I am an emergency medicine clinician (Nurse practitioner) and therefor do not treat/maintain chronic conditions. While I have a basic understanding of the treatment of chronic anxiety, I’ll admit it’s not my wheelhouse.

With that out of the way, I believe that lifestyle changes, stressor modification and avoidance, counselors. and therapy are strongly recommended. This is often done along side of medication like an SSRI. Once stabilized on the SSRI I do not see any reason why someone could not dive. This SSRI may be removed once the other non-pharmacological treatments are successful.

I am quite sure that outside of specific episodic occurrences of extreme stressors that nearly every set of guidelines recommend not using benzodiazepines in the treatment of anxiety. This would include all patients which anxiety, divers or non-divers alike.

I also agree with the general notion that a well controlled behavioral health diagnosis should not preclude someone from diving or working as a dive professional.

Not if the student/buddy is my daughter or my little boy, no f'ing way. Heck, I wouldn't want to dive let alone take a course from somebody with ANY such issues where they have to take medication for it even for minor dose. Seahorse manure, I can't imagine taking a cave diving or wreck diving course or accepting a student in this type of courses if they have these issues.

Not if the student/buddy is my daughter or my little boy, no f'ing way. Heck, I wouldn't want to dive let alone take a course from somebody with ANY such issues where they have to take medication for it even for minor dose. Seahorse manure, I can't imagine taking a cave diving or wreck diving course or accepting a student in this type of courses if they have these issues.

I’ll be willing to bet you already have.

1719699499115.png

1719699573721.png

The simple fact is that a mental health diagnosis is very common. Every walk of life and every profession has individuals who deal successfully with a mental health diagnosis and do so with no one being any the wiser.

Outside of extreme situations involving inability to care for one’s self or active threats to themselves or others, precluding a person from an activity or occupation due to a well controlled mental health diagnosis is cruel, entirely unnecessary, and not backed by any shred of scientific evidence.

I’ll be willing to bet you already have.

If they lied in their medical form, then I can't help it.

The simple fact is that a mental health diagnosis is very common. Every walk of life and every profession has individuals who deal successfully with a mental health diagnosis and do so with no one being any the wiser.

Sure, but not underwater. Can they get permit to fly with a full load of passengers on a commercial flight if the airliner knows about their not so well mental health?

Outside of extreme situations involving inability to care for one’s self or active threats to themselves or others, precluding a person from an activity or occupation due to a well controlled mental health diagnosis is cruel, entirely unnecessary, and not backed by any shred of scientific evidence.

We are talking about going underwater with a buddy or with students not sitting on a chair in an office.

Are you also suggesting that the medical people who deal with patients with mental issues know the ramification of their patients going scuba diving while taking medications? Has ANYONE tested these medications for use UNDERWATER? You think the companies that make these "drugs" will say it is OK to go scuba diving while taking their medications and they would take responsibility for it???

If you are going to be teaching my daughter, little boy or any loved one, I am going to be major f'ing cruel and will insist that you are drug free and free of any mental issues that require your taking such medications. Again, I am talking about SCUBA diving not finger painting art classes.

If they lied in their medical form, then I can't help it.

Sure, but not underwater. Can they get permit to fly with a full load of passengers on a commercial flight if the airliner knows about their not so well mental health?

We are talking about going underwater with a buddy or with students not sitting on a chair in an office.

Are you also suggesting that the medical people who deal with patients with mental issues know the ramification of their patients going scuba diving while taking medications? Has ANYONE tested these medications for use UNDERWATER? You think the companies that make these "drugs" will say it is OK to go scuba diving while taking their medications and they would take responsibility for it???

If you are going to be teaching my daughter, little boy or any loved one, I am going to be major f'ing cruel and will insist that you are drug free and free of any mental issues that require your taking such medications. Again, I am talking about SCUBA diving not finger painting art classes.

You can’t help if someone lied on the form, but it doesn’t change the fact that you did dive with someone who had a mental health diagnosis and everything was just fine.

Additionally, yes you can be an airline pilot with a mental health diagnosis.

“The FAA encourages pilots to seek help if they have a mental-health condition since most, if treated, do not disqualify a pilot from flying. In fact, only about 0.1% of medical certificate applicants who disclose health issues are denied.”

I also feel confident that you or your loved ones have been cared for by a physician who has received mental health treatment. Same goes for at least one nurse at the hospital or office.

As to testing of medications while underwater; as far as I know, it isn’t done. We also don’t test medications when someone is flying a hang glider or when ice climbing. However after establishing general safety it is reasonable to let patients expand their horizons and see what happens.

For example SSRIs have been on the market since 1987ish. Thats nearly 40 years of experience that clinicians can draw on relating to what symptoms patients usually experience when taking these medications and what activities can safely be performed.

It would also be conceivable that your position on declining anyone receiving mental health treatment from working in scuba would be a violation of the ADA.

It would also be conceivable that your position on declining anyone receiving mental health treatment from working in scuba would be a violation of the ADA.
In Libya? :funny:

Back
Top Bottom